IGNORED

The Grand Tour - Amazon Prime car show - S5E1 now online

Qazimod

13 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Remember that when a 5 year old kid comes up to you and calls you a mother fucker, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter, and that his parents let him watch Pulp Fiction when he was teething, because parenting is irrelevant and middle class these days. Let them eat cake

If a kid came up to me and called me a mother fucker I'd find it funny!

Pulp Fiction is a good film, raises awareness about drugs and the dangers of corrupt cops who keep gimps as bum ventures. Perhaps it ignites a kid's love of cinema and it leads him/her to pursuing writing, and the arts, who knows?

2 hours ago, englishbob said:

Back on topic, I'm chomping at the bit to watch it, but I know my daughter, the wife and my dad all want to see it. So would be good if we where all in the same room at the same time to watch. One of those mentioned is going to be a casualty of the first watch! :)

I'm in a similar scenario - I'm the only one with Prime and so I'll have to see when everyone's free...

Just now, Wools said:

That's a shame, I was hoping they would return to the old formula which I always found more fun and joyous to watch than when they just act.

Damn, well I'll hold off then. :(

It's the obviously fake bollocks and contrived situations that I don't like. Sure, be silly, but when the nonsense is scripted (and obviously so), it's not for me. More recent Top Gear has been too much of that and far less "natural" silliness, I was sort of hoping this would reverse that, but obviously not.

I guess the real question is, would you want your child to watch a show fronted by 3 boorish bullies who trot around like privileged idiots pouring contempt on anything that's beneath them, whose racist, xenophobic, homophobic, producer-punching behaviour aren't punished because in the world we live in a tax evading multi billion dollar company whose lowest employees are treated like slaves will simply sweep in and throw all their tax evaded money at you to carry on as you were, Clarkson caught in a dilemma of whether he has the time and energy left after all that to carry on his sideline as a deliberately ignorant and offensive anti-progressive column-writing hack.

Daddy, if I lie, mis-inform and be ignorant, that's a viable way to make a living right?, as long as I'm white, have connections, and stick purely to the right wing dominated hate-filled shit rags?

I'm going to be negged for this aren't I? I've gone all Broker ! Be gentle. Resist. You've got your car show, actually you've got 2.

37 minutes ago, deKay said:

It's the obviously fake bollocks and contrived situations that I don't like. Sure, be silly, but when the nonsense is scripted (and obviously so), it's not for me. More recent Top Gear has been too much of that and far less "natural" silliness, I was sort of hoping this would reverse that, but obviously not.

I'm sure it sounds boring (And regulars in the Top Gear thread will have hared it a million times) but I used to love the challenges like; here's £2K, buy a Porsche and drive it down to Brighton. No scripts, no idea, but 3 good friends chatting about cars.

I love Clarkson and May (Not too fussed about Hammond) and used to adore old Top Gear pre 2007, and hopped The Grand Tour would return to those 3 genuinely funny and knowledgable blokes, larking about. But it seems it's just new Top Gear with an overwhelming budget.

I might give it a watch later down the line but scripted Top Gear was just so painful to watch I'm not sure if i want to pay £60 for the privilege of watching it. Love the blokes, loved the old format, gutted as to what it's become. Still, the trailers still prove that that old BBC camera team remain the best in the business at photographing cars. :wub:

2 minutes ago, Wools said:

I'm sure it sounds boring (And regulars in the Top Gear thread will have hared it a million times) but I used to love the challenges like; here's £2K, buy a Porsche and drive it down to Brighton. No scripts, no idea, but 3 good friends chatting about cars.

I love Clarkson and May (Not too fussed about Hammond) and used to adore old Top Gear pre 2007, and hopped The Grand Tour would return to those 3 genuinely funny and knowledgable blokes, larking about. But it seems it's just new Top Gear with an overwhelming budget.

I might give it a watch later down the line but scripted Top Gear was just so painful to watch I'm not sure if i want to pay £60 for the privilege of watching it. Love the blokes, loved the old format, gutted as to what it's become. Still, the trailers still prove that that old BBC camera team remain the best in the business at photographing cars. :wub:

Well.  Let's not be too hasty.  I really enjoyed the first episode and wouldn't have said too much of it is scripted at all apart from the obvious moments.  But the car stuff all seems fairly real.

I agree that the challenges are best when they are done for real, or as close as possible for real but it's only the first episode.  Let's give it a chance to find its groove but on first impressions I'm really happy to have it back and really look forward to what they can do with a proper worldwide setting and a lovely big budget. 

It is slightly caught between some people wanting it to be a car show, some people wanting it to be a car show with fun challenges and some people enjoying it being Last of the Summer Wine part 2 but as long as from time to time it can have moments from all 3 then I'll be pretty happy. 

1 hour ago, d ebolenk said:

Daddy, if I lie, mis-inform and be ignorant, that's viable right way to make a living right?, as long as I'm white, have connections, and stick purely to the right wing dominated hate-filled shit rags?

pretty much, but you maybe need to add "male" to that.

(though, hilariously, clarkson is hardly the flavour of the month with one set of shit rags).

Just watching now. The opening, had a stupid grin on my face all the way through. Good on them. There's a lot of celebs who've done a lot worse things and just seems right them being back together. Another nail in the BBCs new Top Gear coffin. And sweet bebe jeezus it's beautifully shot. 

To be fair to New Top Gear, the films were beautifully shot as well, it was just that Chris Evans spoiled them, LeBlanc was mostly good though. Anyway, this was great and am looking forward to the next episode. One caveat though; I hope in future episodes they pitch The Tent at race tracks so they can do a proper "Celebrity Lap" concept, seemed to be something that was sorely missing, imo. Other than that, I really enjoyed the show.

I liked it. Some segments and bits felt very Top Gear, but it was the good Top Gear of old, and there wasn't too much of the wacky challenges and scripted rubbish that started to happen on TG (nothing on the level of, say, that ambulance challenge in S22  :facepalm: .) It's shot really well too. I'll definitely tune in for more.

• Qazimod changed the title to The Grand Tour - Amazon Prime car show - S5E1 now online