IGNORED

The Grand Tour - Amazon Prime car show - S4E4 coming Dec 17th

Qazimod

20 minutes ago, layten said:

I spent most of last week (and about £250 in petrol) having a great time driving the North Yorkshire Moors.

I did that too a few years, but on a bike, it was brilliant.

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

They said they had been planning for somewhere else, they wouldn't say where, but it was an amber list country which has very recently moved to the red list.

Well last year they were meant to be doing Siberia but then Covid, they were then meant to have rescheduled that to this summer but then Covid.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was good. The bridge bit felt like a challenge for the sake of it (then again so did the USA vs. USSR thing), but the American cars (including the muscle cars later!) were nice. :D 

I enjoyed it but they do seem to struggle to end these Amazon specials. It's like they reach the end of filming and wherever they are that's how it ends. The other weird moments

Spoiler

were implying Hammond didn't know how to work an outboard engine and then someones pride and joy having a very expensive failure when entrusted to the Grand Tour crew 

Yeah it was weird, very disjointed like different sections of a normal show rather than a special and I’ve no idea what the whole Chinese thing was about at the end. There were a couple of good moments but overall it wasn’t great.

Just now, scruffycat said:

Yeah it was weird, very disjointed like different sections of a normal show rather than a special and I’ve no idea what the whole Chinese thing was about at the end. There were a couple of good moments but overall it wasn’t great.

It did seem about a year out of date. With all the Prince Andrew jokes and Chinese stuff. 

18 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

That was… all over the place, like they had six or seven ideas for segments and no idea how to give them any kind of proper narrative thread… so they just didn’t. 

12 hours ago, scruffycat said:

Yeah it was weird, very disjointed like different sections of a normal show

Again - the USA vs USSR thing. There was no real throughline or payoff, as entertaining as it was.

When they just stick to talking about the location, the roads, their cars, these road trips work well - and there was still a bit of that in this episode… it was just in between a bunch of other stuff.

What the ever-Christing fuck was that ending all about?

When they are talking about cars, about how they feel about cars and have a passionate (and funny) discussion, there is nothing better.  But then they fuck about with scripted pranks and hammer badly acted "accidents" to death and the whole thing becomes a complete waste of time.

Fuck Jeremy Clarkson. 

On 31/07/2021 at 02:27, layten said:

This got 2 rather than the usual 1 star from the centrist bible, so you know it must have been a good episode. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jul/30/the-grand-tour-lochdown-review-scotland-highlands-jeremy-clarkson

I read this article and it sounds horrible (although I did like the part where it talks about the show boosting indepence lol) . Don't know how he gets a pass here. He's a racist, xenophobic, transphobic, honophobic piece of shit. 

6 minutes ago, Ry said:

Fuck Jeremy Clarkson. 

I read this article and it sounds horrible (although I did like the part where it talks about the show boosting indepence lol) . Don't know how he gets a pass here. He's a racist, xenophobic, transphobic, honophobic piece of shit. 

The writer or Clarkson?

8 minutes ago, Ry said:

I read this article and it sounds horrible

Well yes, it's a Guardian article about Clarkson, you can see from the very first paragraph that the writer has gone into it with no intention to actually review the show. Just like the review of his farm show, which was basically their reviewer standing in an empty field shouting at the clouds whilst it got pretty much universal praise.

23 minutes ago, layten said:

Well yes, it's a Guardian article about Clarkson, you can see from the very first paragraph that the writer has gone into it with no intention to actually review the show. Just like the review of his farm show, which was basically their reviewer standing in an empty field shouting at the clouds whilst it got pretty much universal praise.

A lot of people don't like his shit. Top Gear was cringy as fuck and I thought it was pish. 

Doesn't change what I said. Clarkson is a piece of shit. 

5 minutes ago, Ry said:

A lot of people don't like his shit. Top Gear was cringy as fuck and I thought it was pish. 

Doesn't change what I said. Clarkson is a piece of shit. 

Do you work for The Guardian? 

3 hours ago, layten said:

Clarkson’s Farm is an interesting one - well shot (they do know how and where to point a camera and mostly how to edit it for maximum effect) and with some interesting things to say about agricultural production), but the worst thing in it? 

Clarkson playing his Clarkson character, for either idiotic “comedy” effect (“oh no it’s gone horribly wrong ho ho ho”) or for pushing his particular viewpoints (usually with the subtlety of a bulldozer).

As others have noted, that’s not an act that’ll work well for a follow up series, and you could have done the same thing (or better) with an established farm with that as the only income source. If Clarkson’s farm doesn’t make much how will he survive only on his millions of pounds from Amazon, ITV, the papers, etc, etc, etc…

Quite enjoyed the latest 90 minutes. I couldn't give a shit what the Guardian say about it to be honest, they have made their point many, many, many, many fucking times that I don't know why they bother to waste their own time watching and reviewing it, other than to try and tell you "we told you it was rubbish" in some Tenent revolving door of time.

23 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

Clarkson’s Farm is an interesting one - well shot (they do know how and where to point a camera and mostly how to edit it for maximum effect) and with some interesting things to say about agricultural production), but the worst thing in it? 

Clarkson playing his Clarkson character, for either idiotic “comedy” effect (“oh no it’s gone horribly wrong ho ho ho”) or for pushing his particular viewpoints (usually with the subtlety of a bulldozer).

As others have noted, that’s not an act that’ll work well for a follow up series, and you could have done the same thing (or better) with an established farm with that as the only income source. If Clarkson’s farm doesn’t make much how will he survive only on his millions of pounds from Amazon, ITV, the papers, etc, etc, etc…

Which being fair he does point out in the last episode that not every farmer can go on millionaire or have an Amazon crew follow them about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Qazimod changed the title to The Grand Tour - Amazon Prime car show - S4E4 coming Dec 17th