Qazimod

The Grand Tour - Amazon Prime car show - S3E7 out now

Yeah, because Amazon are just a small plucky start up these days and certainly not one of the biggest and most valuable corporations on the planet.

I thought it would be Netflix but I don't think Amazon will prove to be a mistake. Amazon will likely put all of their marketing muscle behind this venture and Amazon's reach is almost unparalleled.

Amazon Prime itself could also start becoming a major thing in itself. Free delivery, special offers exclusive to Members, TV, Movies and music all included in a a package for £79 a year along with tech features such as free online picture storage. It starts to sell itself really.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I imagine Prime will be expanding into more Countries, in Countries where Prime isn't they can license it to local stations and sell the eventual DVD. I think it is a good deal for everyone really. Amazon will be paying a hefty price and will be promoting it and using it to sell Prime accordingly. Clarkson and Co have just become one of the biggest selling points of Prime.

Amazon Prime itself could also start becoming a major thing in itself. Free delivery, special offers exclusive to Members, TV, Movies and music all included in a a package for £79 a year along with tech features such as free online picture storage. It starts to sell itself really.

That's certainly why Amazon would be after exclusive content like this, they are guestimated to have close to half their US customer base on it already. Seems Amazon want to do a Costco and rely on membership fees for the bulk of their profits. Not personally interested as Top Gear is a bit too formulaic for my tastes and the other Amazon services aren't enough to do it just yet.

So Amazon Prime's highest profile content is Mock Gear and Transparent. Makes for an interesting combination, and makes me wonder what audience overlap they have. I guess they do have some things in common, both being ostensibly comedic scripted shows that are not remotely funny.

Just got the news via the big banner at the top of Amazon.co.uk - thanks to mods for updating the thread title :)

Never used Prime before but I'd be tempted to have a look now...

That's assuming you always pay for postage. I'd assume most would opt for free delivery unless it was urgently required, which is relatively rare.

However, as a series of Top Gear usually consisted of about seven episodes, I don't expect this to be much different. Give it a few weeks' headstart then see the lot for the £5.99, one-off payment.

• Upvote 1

The Mirror have went with the angle that the series will cost you £79 to watch or £237 for all 3 planned series. No mention of the other services you get with Prime.

Or that, as mentioned above, you could just pay for one month and watch them all when released. So £18 for all three series.

It's a silly a comparison as saying that it used to cost you £450 to watch Top Gear for three years when it was on the BBC without mentioning that that £450 also gets you a gazillion other TV and Radio stations.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, because Amazon are just a small plucky start up these days and certainly not one of the biggest and most valuable corporations on the planet.

I thought it would be Netflix but I don't think Amazon will prove to be a mistake. Amazon will likely put all of their marketing muscle behind this venture and Amazon's reach is almost unparalleled.

This reminded me of one those random product placement bits you get in American TV where a character temporarily goes mad and starts going on about the intelligent braking in their new Honda for no reason.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Or that, as mentioned above, you could just pay for one month and watch them all when released. So £18 for all three series.

It's a silly a comparison as saying that it used to cost you £450 to watch Top Gear for three years when it was on the BBC without mentioning that that £450 also gets you a gazillion other TV and Radio stations.

Amazon Prime is still a one off annual fee of £79, isn't it? There's no monthly option, unlike Netflix.

The Mirror have went with the angle that the series will cost you £79 to watch or £237 for all 3 planned series. No mention of the other services you get with Prime.

No one wants to know the full value of what they're getting, they want to be outraged! The Mirror are probably annoyed because of the big bullshit story they printed about it going to ITV.

Had a quick look and they do offer subtitles on their streams. Looks like not on all the older stuff, but seems to be on all the newer stuff.

More news below. TL; DR: Autumn 2016, three series, 36 episodes, weekly instalments...

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May have a humongous budget to play with on their new motoring show, making it one of the most expensive UK programmes ever. The ex-Top Gear trio have signed up to host 36 episodes of their currently untitled series on Amazon Prime, across three series.

Producer Andy Wilman told Broadcast that it was the promise of a reported £160 million budget that saw Clarkson and his crew join the streaming service. This means the show will have a budget of around £4.5m per episode, making it Amazon's biggest original content to date and one of the most expensive UK shows ever." It was very parochial the way this whole thing started," Wilman said. "It's not our forte doing deals. We're all crap at business."

Wilman explained that the four of them looked through their various offers and decided that their main demands were complete editorial freedom, plenty of money and no car adverts. Netflix and other US services were interested, while ITV were also in contact. "We love the people down at ITV, but we couldn't do it," Wilman said. Speaking about Amazon, he said: "Every one we have talked to has told us: 'They leave you alone to make your show'. That's a big one for us - we don't like interference, we don't need to be policed."

Meanwhile, episodes will be around an hour in length and will be released each week in the UK, US and Germany, with a proposed launch date of autumn 2016. The show will include indoor studio features, along with the gang's usual global adventures and challenges. It will also be produced in the UK and the team will have "more time to yak about cars". However, The Stig and other elements will stay at the BBC, while they will also be looking for a site away from the Dunsfold Aerodrome.

DigitalSpy