Qazimod

The Grand Tour - Amazon Prime car show - S3E7 out now

Jeremy Clarkson has confirmed to the Sunday Times that he will return to TV with a new car show. Joining the bombastic Brit on the new show will be his former "Top Gear" cohosts Richard Hammond and James May. Though the publication reports that an announcement is expected in a matter of weeks, the exact network on which the show will air has yet to be confirmed.

Sources told the Daily Mirror's Nigel Pauley, however, that the ex-"Top Gear" trio — along with former showrunner Andy Wilman — were "very close" to a deal with Netflix. In recent weeks, the foursome has held meetings with numerous potential suitors including the British broadcaster ITV. But Netflix seems to have come out on top.

Full story: BusinessInsider

EDIT: now a new thread (thanks Pob :) ) - for info on what's happening to Top Gear, see this thread

• Upvote 3

I love the idea of 'unamed Clarkson car project' being advert free and shot in 4k as Netflix originals are - some of the previous specials and road trips in 4k with 5.1 sound would have been amazing

I love the idea of 'unamed Clarkson car project' being advert free and shot in 4k as Netflix originals are - some of the previous specials and road trips in 4k with 5.1 sound would have been amazing

That's fine for the cars, but can we keep Clarkson's face in standard definition please? :)

According to The Mirror, they have a clause in their contract preventing them from doing such a show on a UK network before April 2017. So if it's ITV, they'll have to wait, but going to Netflix or someone else foreign, they can start whenever.

They wiill get around this. Just make the show not about cars, then dedicate about 90 percent of it to cars! They could front it as a cooking show for all that it matters!

The Prime sub will cover it. I doubt they'll offer it separately on a per episode basis as the only reason they'll be making it is to drive Prime numbers.

I've not used Prime Video much before so might be misunderstanding, but I'm sure I've seen shows that are on there but are not included in Prime and force you to pay per episode?

amazon original content and stuff they sign up on exclusive is always included in prime - all the other content is a mix of netflix style eat all you like and sky box office rentals (even some tv show boxsets)

• Upvote 1

I find the selection of included content on Prime Video is never that great so at least this will be something to justify the subscription. I wonder how it's going to affect their exposure thiugh because I don't think any Prime series has ever made it to broadcast television.

I've always quite liked the selection of shows on Prime. Plus you can just pay six quid for one month, rinse this and whatever else takes your fancy, then cancel the subscription. Not bad value when you do it that way. I've done this a number of times over the last few years.