Qazimod

The Grand Tour - Amazon Prime car show - S3E6 out now

Well, we do not really know what other producers were willing to offer. Amazon were clearly the highest bidder, it doesn't mean the second highest bidder was far off.

Either way, I imagine this deal will at least break even for Amazon. It provides them loads of free marketing for their Prime service which is important since Prime customers spend more at Amazon than non-Prime customers. They'll also be able to sub-licence the show out to other territories and sell the DVDs.

It is not like Amazon have just just put £160m into a hole and burnt it. This article suggests that Top Gear generated $225m for BBC worldwide. http://www.forbes.com/sites/natalierobehmed/2015/03/25/why-the-bbc-is-right-to-fire-jeremy-clarkson-from-top-gear/. Other sites put the revenue generated at around £40m-£50m each year. At those types of levels then a three year deal for Amazon at £160m doesn't look too far out. But make no mistake, for Amazon this is simply £160m spent on marketing Amazon Prime and on the subsequent benefits they get of signing up Members to a yearly service which also encourages those users to spend more money at Amazon. The 36 episodes of a car show they also get are largely immaterial to the overall goal that this spend of £160m is meant to achieve.

Well, we do not really know what other producers were willing to offer. Amazon were clearly the highest bidder, it doesn't mean the second highest bidder was far off.

Either way, I imagine this deal will at least break even for Amazon. It provides them loads of free marketing for their Prime service which is important since Prime customers spend more at Amazon than non-Prime customers. They'll also be able to sub-licence the show out to other territories and sell the DVDs.

It is not like Amazon have just just put £160m into a hole and burnt it. This article suggests that Top Gear generated $225m for BBC worldwide. http://www.forbes.com/sites/natalierobehmed/2015/03/25/why-the-bbc-is-right-to-fire-jeremy-clarkson-from-top-gear/. Other sites put the revenue generated at around £40m-£50m each year. At those types of levels then a three year deal for Amazon at £160m doesn't look too far out. But make no mistake, for Amazon this is simply £160m spent on marketing Amazon Prime and on the subsequent benefits they get of signing up Members to a yearly service which also encourages those users to spend more money at Amazon. The 36 episodes of a car show they also get are largely immaterial to the overall goal that this spend of £160m is meant to achieve.

Netflix have the old Top Gear episodes, know the viewing figures and stated "it wasn't worth the money"

http://www.theguardian.com/media/mediamonkeyblog/2015/sep/07/jeremy-clarkson-not-worth-the-money-amazon-spent-says-netflix-exec

TV show seasons aren't grouped together even! This is on PS4, so someone correct me if I'm doing it wrong.

Eh? Once you're in a season, you can access other seasons at the top of the episode list.

I get that each season has its own entry on the list. This is because not all seasons of a show are 'prime' and thus are not free.

Netflix have the old Top Gear episodes, know the viewing figures and stated "it wasn't worth the money"

http://www.theguardian.com/media/mediamonkeyblog/2015/sep/07/jeremy-clarkson-not-worth-the-money-amazon-spent-says-netflix-exec

They are different businesses. Netflix want to sell you entertainment. Amazon wants to use entertainment to sell you a new hoover. Ergo, they place different values on things.

• Upvote 2

In addition people can see the old shows all over the place and are most likely bored. However, new series following the excitement are likely to draw a big crowd so there is likely to be a resurgence of interest.

As stated, this will be more about driving new customers to buy prime and buy more stuff.

“We have past episodes of Top Gear, so we have a pretty good gauge of what audiences like,” the company’s chief product officer, Neil Hunt, told Digital Spy."

He is talking about a show which regularly pulled in 300 million global viewers, right?

Is it really a coup though? It could turn out to be total shit without the top gear team behind it.

Later Top Gear shows weren't exactly great either though - especially when it came to all of the scripted stuff from challenges (Next week: James gets lost in a street race! Jeremy says "POWAAAR" and drives into a deep bog! Etc.) How much of that was because of the production team or the three presenters is unknown, but it'll be interesting to see if this new show goes in the same direction.

In addition people can see the old shows all over the place and are most likely bored. However, new series following the excitement are likely to draw a big crowd so there is likely to be a resurgence of interest.

As stated, this will be more about driving new customers to buy prime and buy more stuff.

Because all of those other new shows that Amazon have funded have been so successful.

GT_LandingPage_Header._V272879589_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?node=10257739031
After months of deliberation and lots of useful suggestions from the public, for which the guys are very grateful, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May have decided that, because they are taking their new Amazon Prime Show around the world, it will be called The Grand Tour.

Not only will the guys travel to different locations, but for the first time ever the studio audience recordings will travel every week, all housed within a giant tent. Amazon customers will have the chance to be in the audience when tickets are released through prize draws this summer.

First look at their mobile studio tent, filming the first episode studio bits outside Johannesburg. Studio segments for each episode will be filmed in a different country.

gallery-1468771599-gt-tent.jpg

landscape-1468771675-clarkson-hammond-ma

• Upvote 2

Wow, that looks a lot more polished than I thought it was going to be. I thought they were just going to stand out in a dusty field with a crowd around them and a camera rather than having a mobile studio with an amazing backdrop each weekend. Fingers crossed that this will be good :)

Hammond appears to be dressed less like a middle-aged man desperately clinging on to his youth, and more like Jeremy, although not quite full-stonewashed. Give it a year.

Set looks cool though, nice and minimal (fold-up table!) with the scenery doing the hard work. Hopefully means the majority of the budget that isn't salary has gone on some amazing stunts and challenges.

We can't take too much but I guess we can surmise that there will not be much topical comment in the show if they are filming episodes now for an Autumn release.  So, unlikely to be the 'News' or similar.  Not that I think this is a bad thing, a complete revamp from the Top Gear formula will probably be for the best and I am looking forward to some great films and hopefully not too much of a structure to the show as Top Gear had.  I think the new Top Gear was poorly received precisely because they hadn't updated the formula which had become a bit dated really.