Qazimod

The Grand Tour - Amazon Prime car show - S3E6 out now

not sure the increase in budgets is necessarily a great thing - if I think of some of the best moments in TG it was when they buy cheap old shitty cars in the UK and drive to Spearmint Rhino, or tried to get them up the hill climb or over the cobbles on the test track, it was where the lack of budget forced them to be creative and rely on them being funny to be entertaining.

the budget could go into a couple of things I suspect - even more exotic long haul trips of the likes of the xmas specials (a good thing) or just an increased amount of puerile behaviour where they blow up or set fire to bigger things just because the ££££ allow it (a bad thing to my tastes)

• Upvote 1

The Star in a Reasonably Price Car segmenr won't be included because I expect it would be hard to get the guests, even with Amazon's reach they aren't going to get the same level of promotion an episode of Top Gear on BBC2 will manage.

They've started filming. And they got the cars they never got to go head-to-head on Top Gear.

CQuxDyjWoAEQpwB.jpg

The track is apparently Algarve International Circuit AKA Portimao Circuit.

• Upvote 3

They've started filming. And they got the cars they never got to go head-to-head on Top Gear.

CQuxDyjWoAEQpwB.jpg

The track is apparently Algarve International Circuit AKA Portimao Circuit.

ITV reported this as "amazon car show starts filming with skeleton crew"... Accompanied by the above photo.

I mean, obviously they might be the support crews from the car manufacturers, but apart from a couple of cameras, the talent, and some locals, the production crew might arrive later.

If that's their base, and not just a filming location.

ITV are well jell.

ITV reported this as "amazon car show starts filming with skeleton crew"... Accompanied by the above photo.

I mean, obviously they might be the support crews from the car manufacturers, but apart from a couple of cameras, the talent, and some locals, the production crew might arrive later.

If that's their base, and not just a filming location.

ITV are well jell.

The skeleton crew was Clarkson's caption to the picture he posted. I rather think he was being ironic and ITV massively missed the point.

The skeleton crew was Clarkson's caption to the picture he posted. I rather think he was being ironic and ITV massively missed the point.

yeah, the actual article

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-10-07/ex-top-gear-trio-clarkson-hammond-and-may-begin-filming-for-new-motoring-show/

makes a bit more sense than what ITV posted on facebook, which appears to have been edited to match the sarcasm.

When big companies go into administration the hubris and profligacy of their spending are often questioned in hindsight. You know, the company jets for the CEO's dog, Sega's sponsorship of Arsenal, and so on. I reckon the £160m figure for Top Gear is one of those things we will look back on and shake our heads atwhen Amazon starts going downhill.

I reckon Amazon Prime are in for a shock and this isn't going to make it's money back. If it was Netflix would have bought them, but they have the statistics to show the money wasn't worth.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Amazon's business model seems to be to get as many people as possible using their services no matter what, and don't seem to care about making losses. They seem to be playing a very long game.

Spending £4.5m an episode means that it takes 7 hours of their UK turnover to cover it. They'll be pretty much shitting themselves about this deal, I imagine.

Is £4.5m that much these days? Maybe compared to how much a normal streaming show is produced for but I imagine for things like Game of Thrones and other big US shows its not that uncommon. Amazon will also be able to licence it to areas that Prime doesn't cover and Top Gear is a pretty good dvd seller so that's another good secondary revenue stream. Basically they have spent £160m on advertising their Prime service and got some car episodes thrown in for free.

Is £4.5m that much these days? Maybe compared to how much a normal streaming show is produced for but I imagine for things like Game of Thrones and other big US shows its not that uncommon. Amazon will also be able to licence it to areas that Prime doesn't cover and Top Gear is a pretty good dvd seller so that's another good secondary revenue stream. Basically they have spent £160m on advertising their Prime service and got some car episodes thrown in for free.

GoT is about $6m per episode, which is at the more expensive end of the spectrum but with their subscriptions and sub-licensing to other pay TV companies HBO probably make that back even before DVD sales. As you've said, Amazon won't be concerned about what they've spent, it's publicity for their platform and a coup Vs Netflix.

Amazon's business model seems to be to get as many people as possible using their services no matter what, and don't seem to care about making losses. They seem to be playing a very long game.

Try telling that to the investors who haven't been paid a dividend for years, due to Jeff Bezos pissing revenue away on shit like twitch or phone hardware. Amazon haven't made a profit in years.

While I don't think Amazon generally care, it is indicative of their mental business model at the moment. Nobody else was willing to give them the money for the show, because it made no business sense. But here comes Amazon with "yeah, no problem. Go and piss $7m per show!"

I wonder if they'll be able to contain their smugness with that kind of budget. It's an amount of money most UK productions can only dream of and all the restraint the BBC forced upon them has now gone, they could have a destruction derby with old Supercars and the Daily Mail won't be able to complain that it is a waste of license fee payers money.

The turning point for me with Top Gear was when they bought the 60s VW Beetle, which had been really looked after by a collector, and decided to drop it 500ft from a helicopter to see if it would hit the ground faster than a Porsche in a straight line.

At that point you knew they weren't true car enthusiasts, but a bunch of tossers with too much money. I never watched it after that.

God know what this series will end up like.

Is it really a coup though? It could turn out to be total shit without the top gear team behind it.

Wilman and Clarkson were the executive producers. And cocks. But they were the top gear team.

Try telling that to the investors who haven't been paid a dividend for years, due to Jeff Bezos pissing revenue away on shit like twitch or phone hardware. Amazon haven't made a profit in years.

While I don't think Amazon generally care, it is indicative of their mental business model at the moment. Nobody else was willing to give them the money for the show, because it made no business sense. But here comes Amazon with "yeah, no problem. Go and piss $7m per show!"

Well, we do not really know what other producers were willing to offer. Amazon were clearly the highest bidder, it doesn't mean the second highest bidder was far off.

Either way, I imagine this deal will at least break even for Amazon. It provides them loads of free marketing for their Prime service which is important since Prime customers spend more at Amazon than non-Prime customers. They'll also be able to sub-licence the show out to other territories and sell the DVDs.

It is not like Amazon have just just put £160m into a hole and burnt it. This article suggests that Top Gear generated $225m for BBC worldwide. http://www.forbes.com/sites/natalierobehmed/2015/03/25/why-the-bbc-is-right-to-fire-jeremy-clarkson-from-top-gear/. Other sites put the revenue generated at around £40m-£50m each year. At those types of levels then a three year deal for Amazon at £160m doesn't look too far out. But make no mistake, for Amazon this is simply £160m spent on marketing Amazon Prime and on the subsequent benefits they get of signing up Members to a yearly service which also encourages those users to spend more money at Amazon. The 36 episodes of a car show they also get are largely immaterial to the overall goal that this spend of £160m is meant to achieve.

On a vaguely related note, I'm on a trial of Amazon prime at the minute, and can't say I love the interface. It's so much harder to find anything on there to watch in comparison with Netflix for example. TV show seasons aren't grouped together even! This is on PS4, so someone correct me if I'm doing it wrong.