The Batman - March 2022 - Robert Pattinson Confirmed as Batman

Goose

Bit sad I didn't enjoy the movie as much as you guys. It was solid but I just didn't love it, but I appreciate what it did. I do however, love the introduction of Batman in the beginning, reminded me of the Tyrant in RE2. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Really enjoyed this for the most part. Thought it lost its way in the last 25 mins or so, but overall really liked it. 

My wife hated it, though. 

I think your wife's opinion will be the same as most of the general public. I remember thinking all the way through it that my wife and 11 yr old daughter would be getting very restless if they were here.

Yes, most likely. 

to add to my thoughts:

Spoiler

I thought Pattinson was…fine? But at the same time didn’t really bring anything to the role. I like that he spent most of the film as Batman, but it also meant it could have been literally anyone under the cowl. Did not like his bully Maguire haircut, but I appreciated them trying to bring a new Bruce to the screen, him being a recluse and traumatised rather than the pretend playboy, but they didn’t develop that side enough, so I didn’t get to see Pattinson’s skills on show. 

Alfred was completely pointless. A throwaway line about teaching Bruce to fight, an excuse to get Bruce to admit he wasn’t over his fears. 

The action was mostly ok, some great fights, proper meaty. Bit too much of Batman getting shot and it having zero effect, though, until that one guy with the double barrelled shot gun near the end. WTF is Batman’s armour made of?!?

Penguin was cool, but could also have been completely removed from the story without to much effort. Colin Farrell was under so much prosthetics that, again, it could have been anyone and Farrell didn’t do a lot (and wasn’t really given opportunity to) to make me understand why he was cast in the role only to be completely altered in appearance. He looked like a fucked up James Gandolfini. The car chase with him was completely pointless. Why Batman did that rather than just go find him again at the Iceberg lounge, I don’t know. Felt like an excuse to have a cat chase, more than anything. 

Gordon was ok. Again, bit of a non character, really. Gary Oldman’s Gordon had purpose and a good arc. This one was just…around.

Catwoman was pretty good. Kept her very close to her Long Halloween version.

Plot was great until the last third, when it all went a bit daft. I liked the Saw-esque serial killer Riddler, less so the flooding the city plot. 

Thought the Commissioner and the Chief of Police had the silliest voices, especially the Chief. He’s there trying to act all tough whilst sounding like Elmo with a sore throat.

Loved the low-key batmobile.

Loved the bat cave being an abandoned subway station.

Loved the bat suit.

Loved the film noir voice over at the start, but then that was quickly abandoned which was a shame.

Loved the detective elements, but don’t feel they played up to them enough - more than any previous film, for sure, but would have liked more. Batman suddenly became very dim when the plot called for it (I knew as soon as I saw the riddle about bringing the rat into the light that Batman would get Falcone who would then be assassinated). 

I liked that the most hi-tech gadget Batman had was some camera contact lenses, as everything else felt very grounded and real. 

Film had more endings than Return of the King. 

My wife mostly found it a bit boring - she was super intrigued when I told her it’d be more like a detective film, she loved the Zodiac film and stuff like that, but she felt the central mystery and investigation wasn’t engaging or clever enough. She also thought Pattinson wasn’t convincing as Batman. And to be fair, out of the suit he did look too skinny and small, but in the suit he looked the business, I thought. 

So not without it’s faults but on the whole I liked it and I’m very excited to see what they do with a sequel. 

The art direction can't save the length unfortunately. It felt like having everything from an all you can eat place on your plate. Really odd taste left in my mouth, as it was constantly moving but not always fun to be part of. I feel if this was a 6 part series with some tweaks it would have been GOAT. 

When it is good though, it is sensational.

The audio mix was nuts, especially in action sequences. 

The opening is absolutely tremendous. Unbelievable direction. Best super hero opening in my opinion, and had me grinning like it was Elden Ring day all over again. 

Recommend regardless of its issues! 

Edit:

And!

Spoiler

The villains are unbelievably grounded, to the point they are just people. Everyone has the potential to be a villain in Gotham. 

42 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Yes, most likely. 

to add to my thoughts:

Hide contents

I thought Pattinson was…fine? But at the same time didn’t really bring anything to the role. I like that he spent most of the film as Batman, but it also meant it could have been literally anyone under the cowl. Did not like his bully Maguire haircut, but I appreciated them trying to bring a new Bruce to the screen, him being a recluse and traumatised rather than the pretend playboy, but they didn’t develop that side enough, so I didn’t get to see Pattinson’s skills on show. 

Alfred was completely pointless. A throwaway line about teaching Bruce to fight, an excuse to get Bruce to admit he wasn’t over his fears. 

The action was mostly ok, some great fights, proper meaty. Bit too much of Batman getting shot and it having zero effect, though, until that one guy with the double barrelled shot gun near the end. WTF is Batman’s armour made of?!?

Penguin was cool, but could also have been completely removed from the story without to much effort. Colin Farrell was under so much prosthetics that, again, it could have been anyone and Farrell didn’t do a lot (and wasn’t really given opportunity to) to make me understand why he was cast in the role only to be completely altered in appearance. He looked like a fucked up James Gandolfini. The car chase with him was completely pointless. Why Batman did that rather than just go find him again at the Iceberg lounge, I don’t know. Felt like an excuse to have a cat chase, more than anything. 

Gordon was ok. Again, bit of a non character, really. Gary Oldman’s Gordon had purpose and a good arc. This one was just…around.

Catwoman was pretty good. Kept her very close to her Long Halloween version.

Plot was great until the last third, when it all went a bit daft. I liked the Saw-esque serial killer Riddler, less so the flooding the city plot. 

Thought the Commissioner and the Chief of Police had the silliest voices, especially the Chief. He’s there trying to act all tough whilst sounding like Elmo with a sore throat.

Loved the low-key batmobile.

Loved the bat cave being an abandoned subway station.

Loved the bat suit.

Loved the film noir voice over at the start, but then that was quickly abandoned which was a shame.

Loved the detective elements, but don’t feel they played up to them enough - more than any previous film, for sure, but would have liked more. Batman suddenly became very dim when the plot called for it (I knew as soon as I saw the riddle about bringing the rat into the light that Batman would get Falcone who would then be assassinated). 

I liked that the most hi-tech gadget Batman had was some camera contact lenses, as everything else felt very grounded and real. 

Film had more endings than Return of the King. 

My wife mostly found it a bit boring - she was super intrigued when I told her it’d be more like a detective film, she loved the Zodiac film and stuff like that, but she felt the central mystery and investigation wasn’t engaging or clever enough. She also thought Pattinson wasn’t convincing as Batman. And to be fair, out of the suit he did look too skinny and small, but in the suit he looked the business, I thought. 

So not without it’s faults but on the whole I liked it and I’m very excited to see what they do with a sequel. 

Wow- those spoiler criticisms/thoughts are mine exactly. Except I'm giving it a fail, and am not looking forward to a sequel!

One thing that springs to mind is how much Reeves locks into a pretty key aspect of Batman's rogues gallery: that they're all miror images of him in some way. Burton understood this the best when he made Batman Returns, whatever problems comic book fans have with that film. After Burton though, no other filmmaker seemed to be interested in that part of Batman's mythos. Schumacher and Nolan pretty much ignoring that aspect of the character.

But here it rears its head again, in full force as we see the big villain(s) mirroring Bruce in all sorts of uncomfortable ways.

8 hours ago, HarMGM said:

One thing that springs to mind is how much Reeves locks into a pretty key aspect of Batman's rogues gallery: that they're all miror images of him in some way. Burton understood this the best when he made Batman Returns, whatever problems comic book fans have with that film. After Burton though, no other filmmaker seemed to be interested in that part of Batman's mythos. Schumacher and Nolan pretty much ignoring that aspect of the character.

But here it rears its head again, in full force as we see the big villain(s) mirroring Bruce in all sorts of uncomfortable ways.

Absolutely this!

Spoiler

The scene where Batman confronts Riddler in Arkham and he taunts him about them working together was fantastic. Where TDK played on Batman and the Joker being opposing forces in a clever way, this went right back to the core of how fucked up Bruce Wayne is and that side of him is something he hates and fears even.

Really excellent, but definitely longer than it needed to be.

Spoiler

If you really want to do multiple endings, I definitely don't need 3 minutes of Bruce and Selina on motorbikes before she takes a different exit (this after a massive conversation about how they are parting). 

It sure rains a lot in Gotham.

This Gotham also seems to have taken the security of the police station from Gotham the tv show.

Riddler out of the mask was awesome, made me wish we had got there earlier (i would have also have liked some glass bottles on his fingers when he said Bruce Wayne)

Massive underground batcave for doing this shit and he choose the main house and large white graffiti all over the antique wooden floors, Alfred is going to be pissed when he's recovered.

The final masterplan, it seems like it would have killed a shit load of people but the way it was shot and presented sort of made it small scale.  I actually think ditching the big flood and having something actually smaller scale with the followers could have added more menace rather than just becoming generic goons.

21 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

I had issues with the ending too. Now, if I’ve missed something I’ll welcome corrections but…

Hide contents

The Riddler’s streaming channel was, as far as I can tell, completely ignored after the detective remarked on his 500 followers, allowing the pre-recorded call to arms that set the climatic part of his plan in motion to go out. The fact that the sort of basement dwellers who’d be really into his schtick turned out to be a team of crack commandos who almost offed Batman and Catwoman didn’t convince either.

You have to remember that ...

Spoiler

... Gotham is in America, where god-fearing true patriots of the American way have a god-given right to bear arms. They aren't simply basement dwellers who have just a bought a gun; they're basement dwellers who have grown up with guns, know exactly how to use those guns, and now believe they have an excuse to use those guns. I found the social media aspect of this movie particularly chilling, and outright thrilling in its depiction. 

@MardiganX Touched on this particular scene, but I was so enthralled by that situation that I had briefly forgotten Batman was in the movie, I was just fearing for the innocent people in the auditorium, so when the explosions started going off I was like "wtf ... IT'S BATMAN!" Honestly, I haven't had that feeling of relief in a movie like this since I was kid. :) 

Spoiler

Batman's entrance in the auditorium, reminded me of his entrance in Batman Begins towards the end, when Gordon's trying to radio for backup and is pretty much told he's fucked and no one's coming for him. Then you just see the Tumbler flying into shot...BOOM! 

Fucking, YES!

On 07/03/2022 at 13:43, Protocol Penguin said:

The ratings are just to placate the studios more than anything else, really. Almost nothing gets PG or 18 certs, and a 12A film could be anything with slightly ‘worse’ content than an old PG film to what would’ve been 15 rated back in the ‘90s.

Thinking of the 15 for this vs 12a for others and 15 for things like IT. 

I think the BBFC doesn’t just look at the content of the violence but also the tone of it? So IT maybe awfully bloody and jump scary but also potentially quite unreal and fantastical which keeps it at a 15. Likewise in The Batman, there is no blood or scenes of horrific injury but there is a malicious intent to it all that is perhaps more realistic and (perhaps) impressionable?

6 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Thinking of the 15 for this vs 12a for others and 15 for things like IT. 

I think the BBFC doesn’t just look at the content of the violence but also the tone of it? So IT maybe awfully bloody and jump scary but also potentially quite unreal and fantastical which keeps it at a 15. Likewise in The Batman, there is no blood or scenes of horrific injury but there is a malicious intent to it all that is perhaps more realistic and (perhaps) impressionable?

and replicable. If people see it and can ignore the obvious “don’t try this at home”, the rating get a bump.

IIRC

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

and replicable. If people see it and can ignore the obvious “don’t try this at home”, the rating get a bump.

IIRC

Ah, yeah, I suppose this is something I hadn't considered. 

Thought this had some minor flaws but overall was excellent.

Spoiler

- Absolutely banging score

- Loved the Wayne Manor internal aesthetic

- Liked the noir-style journal narration and could have done with a bit more of it tbh. Also just the general feel of Gotham was great. And the Se7en influences. Probably could have gone a bit more graphic with the Jigsaw trap stuff seeing was it was a 15?

- It's a pity it chickened out of the 'maybe the Waynes weren't really angelic paragons of virtue' thing. There are no good billionaires!

- I enjoyed the development of the relationship between Batman/the police/the city. At the start everyone is basically shit scared of him apart from Gordon, but it slowly evolves. That said, the movie spends a lot of time suggesting that Batman is actually really quite bad for Gotham, but then doesn't really resolve that issue aside from a bit of narration at the end where he's like "maybe i should try being a bit nicer idk"

- It didn't drag, but at the same time it definitely didn't need to be 3 hours long

- Most of the performances were very good individually, although I didn't really buy the Batman/Selina romance. Also didn't love Alfred, but then he's not in it much so whatever

4 stars

1 hour ago, The Fox said:

Thought this had some minor flaws but overall was excellent.

Hide contents

- Absolutely banging score

- Loved the Wayne Manor internal aesthetic

- Liked the noir-style journal narration and could have done with a bit more of it tbh. Also just the general feel of Gotham was great. And the Se7en influences. Probably could have gone a bit more graphic with the Jigsaw trap stuff seeing was it was a 15?

Spoiler

It was apparently already pushing the limit of a PG-13 in the US, so no chance of anything more.

Really enjoyed this. It felt more like comics batman than any other screen representation. Pattinson was as great as I thought he would be in the role. I think it's the first time there's been a live action batman that really looks ready for action, and he has that massive jaw and small mouth like TAS Batman.

4 hours ago, The Fox said:
Spoiler

I didn't really buy the Batman/Selina romance

Spoiler

100% disagree, I completely bought it. She was brilliant as well. 

4 hours ago, The Fox said:
Spoiler

Also didn't love Alfred

Spoiler

100% agree. Emotional Alfreds are the worst. Michael Caine was another one. Alfred should like a rock made of steel, completely unflappable.

Spoiler

Was that bane juice in the final action sequence to get him to recover from his likely smashed internal organs resulting from taking a double barrelled shot gun?

Also why can no goons shoot him in his chin?

I thought this was a good film. Not as good as Se7en, not as good as Infernal Affairs, but a good noirish thriller. 

I didn't think it was a great portrayal of Batman, in fact I think it made Batman himself pretty boring. 

Catwoman was great and I'd definitely watch a spin-off movie focused on her. 

I think I'm just a bit jaded by all this dark Batman stuff. 

In my ideal world, we'd all be raving over a fun Batman & Robin film that's suitable for 10 year olds and features a Riddler who just wants to Rob a bank. 

1 hour ago, JamesC said:

In my ideal world, we'd all be raving over a fun Batman & Robin film that's suitable for 10 year olds and features a Riddler who just wants to Rob a bank. 

please no. 

That WILL happen, mark my words, we'll get to a point where a fun campy batman movie that is more like the 60's show comes out and the internet will be raving about it. We're not quite there yet but within the next 15 years, this will happen.

2 hours ago, JamesC said:

Get out. 

4 hours ago, JamesC said:

Exactly. We've had twenty years now of dark and gritty Batman films and the only entertainment is who can do the most ridiculous voice. They're boring. Do a camp one you cowards.