Jump to content
IGNORED

The Batman - March 2022 - Robert Pattinson Confirmed as Batman


Goose
 Share

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Just sitting in an imax waiting for this. Quick question, is there a mid or post credits scene? My arse will no doubt have gone to sleep by the end anyway so may as well hang around if so. 

 

No, no mid or after credits scenes. This is a proper film you know.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HarMGM said:

Decided to go see this again yesterday. I was kind of dreading it because of the movie’s length and general pace. 

 

Happy to say that this holds up on a rewatch and even improved. The flaws are still visible but the overall tone of the thing sucks you in. 
 

This is the first Batman film where the world of Batman is successfully brought to the big screen. 

 

The biggest plus for me is just Batman’s evolving relationship to the police throughout the film. Genuine tension in the first crime scene investigation and by the end he’s more or less accepted and it just felt like a natural evolution in the story.

 

The film takes place over 6 days......

 

It is possible to reduce the length of this film by 10-25% without removing a single scene or a single line of dialogue, simply by shaving seconds at the beginning, end and in the middle of scenes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The soundtrack to this is the best I’ve heard for a while. When watching in a cinema and it’s firing on all cylinders it was overwhelming to watch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked this. You could poke holes, but it was internally consistent and nailed the third act, which is rare. 

 

They've definitely based it mainly off the Long Halloween but it's better than it. It has a definite mood. I am surprised it was made like this - there's a slowness and certain nastiness to it that the toys in Tesco seem really out of place. It's not just it's not really suitable for 12 year olds - I could see them being bored if you compare to a Marvel film.

 

I did enjoy Batman just, like, walking places.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question (spoiler) about something happened halfway through.

 

I do want to watch it again as I think I'll like it more knowing that I don't like the last 20/30 minutes (as that just soured the whole film for me, but I'm not going to watch it again.

 

Spoiler

Did I miss something as why The Riddler was so precise and up close and personal with killing everyone else, but he just sends a letter bomb to Bruce and trusts that he'll be the one to open it and it will 100% kill him.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Alex W. said:

Ours had a special Batman oreos advert right before it started, complete with a voiceover saying Riddler riddles. That was not really an apt tie-in.

 

Not that it really mattered as Lucas did a good enough job on his own, but an Orange Wednesday/stupid studio exec advert staring Darth Vader before Revenge of the Sith can't be topped for misplaced advert with a character in the film before the film starts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, kensei said:

there's a slowness and certain nastiness to it that the toys in Tesco seem really out of place. It's not just it's not really suitable for 12 year olds - I could see them being bored if you compare to a Marvel film.

 

 

Yeah, my wife said it was a shame that my 10 year old couldn't have gone with me and I just shook my head. The violence was pretty brutal and it was ponderous at times and whilst I was fine with it, he would have been bored out of his skull. The completely random 'fucking' from Trevor out of Eastenders took me by surprise as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Question (spoiler) about something happened halfway through.

 

I do want to watch it again as I think I'll like it more knowing that I don't like the last 20/30 minutes (as that just soured the whole film for me, but I'm not going to watch it again.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Did I miss something as why The Riddler was so precise and up close and personal with killing everyone else, but he just sends a letter bomb to Bruce and trusts that he'll be the one to open it and it will 100% kill him.  

 

 

Spoiler

I didn't think so. It was a bit odd just to put Thomas' presumed sins on Bruce too.

Thomas sins also didn't really fit in the corruption/cover up of the Maroni bust either  - other than the renewal fund was being used by those involved. 

It didn't feel like the same link.

 

There was some comments in the film that Bruce had become recluse/shut away/rarely seen in public - see the reaction to him at the funeral - so that might be the explanation.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Hexx said:

 

  Hide contents

I didn't think so. It was a bit odd just to put Thomas' presumed sins on Bruce too.

Thomas sins also didn't really fit in the corruption/cover up of the Maroni bust either  - other than the renewal fund was being used by those involved. 

It didn't feel like the same link.

 

There was some comments in the film that Bruce had become recluse/shut away/rarely seen in public - see the reaction to him at the funeral - so that might be the explanation.

 

 

 

Spoiler

Although as far as Riddler was concerned - getting into Wayne Manor and killing Bruce should have been a doddle compared to getting in the Mayor's house (which you assume would have decent security) or killing the Chief of Police in the Police gym.  Unless he knew Wayne Manor has a start of the art security system or Alfred is a known to be a very useful bodyguard as well as butler, but then that should have appealed to him as a challenge.

 

Maybe he assumed it would have been super easy so not worth his time to do anything bar chuck something in the post?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

 

  Hide contents

Although as far as Riddler was concerned - getting into Wayne Manor and killing Bruce should have been a doddle compared to getting in the Mayor's house (which you assume would have decent security) or killing the Chief of Police in the Police gym.  Unless he knew Wayne Manor has a start of the art security system or Alfred is a known to be a very useful bodyguard as well as butler, but then that should have appealed to him as a challenge.

 

Maybe he assumed it would have been super easy so not worth his time to do anything bar chuck something in the post?

 

 

 

Spoiler

It gives him a pretty good motivation for hating Bruce Wayne at the end beyond what his father did. 

 

My assumption was that Bruce was a recluse so he couldn't track movements or do the recon he did on the other people.

 

The film follows the usual rules of security doesn't exist unless it needs to.

 

See also: it's good to see Batman taking hits rather than just ninjaing everyone but the damage he took and recovery time was random.

 

You could poke holes. But in this case you gotta go with the overall mood, I think.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

I really can't fathom anyone that walks out of a cinema half way through. I mean, it might not be your film, but you paid good money to be there, you might as well watch it.

 

*Unless you're on a date, and they're getting frisky.


I don’t understand this, either. I don’t go to the cinema to see a film I don’t think I’ll like. And come on, this is Batman! Even the worst Batman movie isn’t the worst movie ever.
 

The only film I’ve ever “walked out” of was the new space jam, where I used my youngest getting angsty as an excuse to leave that shit heap of a film and sit in Costa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kensei said:

I am surprised it was made like this - there's a slowness and certain nastiness to it that the toys in Tesco seem really out of place. It's not just it's not really suitable for 12 year olds - I could see them being bored if you compare to a Marvel film.

 

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Ours had a special Batman oreos advert right before it started, complete with a voiceover saying Riddler riddles. That was not really an apt tie-in.

 

I daresay the deals and work that went into these toys and tie-ins were done prior to the film getting certified, with the filmmakers believing they were within the bounds of the 12 rating. And if you ask me, they were, this should have been a 12*. My brother and nephew (he's 11) chanced it yesterday and managed to see it, they weren't the only ones either apparently. My nephew loved it, even rating it better than No Way Home. 

 

*The rating system is shite. On the one hand we have The Batman, with a touch more violence than your usual Marvel film (still no blood anywhere to be seen) getting a 15 rating. On the other hand we have the recent IT movies that have strong horror and very bloody violence also getting a 15. Utter fucking nonsense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

Batman has a much nastier tone than No Way Home though. 

Too nasty for a 12 year old? Not on my opinion. 

 

The Dark Knight got a 12a rating, and that has a guy with literally half his face missing - proper nightmare fuel for little ones. 🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW, I definitely think the Dark Knight had individual moments (the pencil trick) that were worse than anything in this, but the overall tone of this was way more oppressive, and the first scene in particular would be pretty distressing for kids. 
 

But as others have said, I’m not sure that kids would be into a film that’s basically a 3 hour adaptation of an issue of Puzzler magazine guest edited by My Chemical Romance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah it’s more of a tone issue than a content one. I can’t imagine anyone seeing this and racing home to play with

 

Spoiler

Wingsuit Fail Action Batman

 

while munching on their special edition Oreos. Not everything with a superhero in it and a passable age rating is really apt for a kids’ merch range.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

52 minutes ago, Thor said:

*The rating system is shite. On the one hand we have The Batman, with a touch more violence than your usual Marvel film (still no blood anywhere to be seen) getting a 15 rating. On the other hand we have the recent IT movies that have strong horror and very bloody violence also getting a 15. Utter fucking nonsense. 

The ratings are just to placate the studios more than anything else, really. Almost nothing gets PG or 18 certs, and a 12A film could be anything with slightly ‘worse’ content than an old PG film to what would’ve been 15 rated back in the ‘90s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw this last night & thought was excellent - Its probably my favourite representation of Batman on the big screen. Everything about it is what I've been bemoaning previous movies for not including. 

 

Very much looking forward to seeing it again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing - I was worried about how many villains this had beforehand - Riddler! Catwoman! Penguin! Falcone! - but that wasn't an issue at all. They were actual characters that came into Bruce's orbit as opposed to being "villains"

 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Too nasty for a 12 year old? Not on my opinion. 

 

The Dark Knight got a 12a rating, and that has a guy with literally half his face missing - proper nightmare fuel for little ones. 🤷‍♂️

 

Depends on the 12 year old, I think. It's much more of a slow burn than the previous films, it's less of an action film and the tone is a lot more somber and oppressive. 

 

Less about nightmares - though I could easily younger children having a bad reaction to the Riddler more I am not sure they'd engage with it. It's a world away from even previous Batman films, much less Marvel.

 

In Belfast this is rated "15A" to explicitly let families to see it to give a boost to the cinemas. This seems like not the film to pick for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, kensei said:

In Belfast this is rated "15A" to explicitly let families to see it to give a boost to the cinemas. This seems like not the film to pick for that.

 Saw that, seems faintly ridiculous. Why not downgrade it to 12 instead of inventing a new rating? Still, we've come a long way from banning the Life Of Brian.

 

Ratings actually are a bit useful to me, I must admit. I think 12A is the sweet spot. Watching a lot of movies with my kids (11 and 15) and with a 12A and you know what you are getting. Bit of swearing, probably some pretty chunky violence, but you aren't going to be sitting there mortified through a five minute sex scene. And I know, this is everything that is wrong with society, but what're you gonna do?

 

BTW, never trust Netflix ratings. They basically are allowed to set their own and they are ALL over the place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved this. It is not a Superhero movie but it absolutely is Batman. We've only seen this version of the character in flashbacks or in 'the origin bit' from other movies so its brilliant and refreshing spending so much time with Batman at this stage in his legacy. He is broken, brutal and absolutely off his nut in a way that I really didnt think we would see played out on screen within this golden age of the Superhero genre, but they fucking went for it and held nothing back. This is Batman before he even knows himself what he should be doing and how best to do it but its fantastic to actually see that whole aspect focussed on rather than it being a plot beat in a longer story.

 

Some of the action is the best of any Batman movie, where every single movement from the Dark Knight is for a purpose and to inflict maximum damage. This was something Nolan's movies were awful at, to the point where re-watching some of the fight scenes is embarrassing in places, but there is none of that here. There is perhaps not as enough action, at least for my taste, but what we get is handled precisely and with extreme violence. I guess if you had a key objective for a Batman action scene it would those two things so hard to complain :) in terms of scale Nolan's chase scenes in Begins and The Dark Knight will never be beaten but the immediacy and sheer power of the close quarters stuff in The Batman is outstanding.

 

I want more from this Batman and this Gotham. I want to see at least a trilogy and give zero fucks if is tied in with any other movies. I want to see more of Pattison as Batman and I absolutely want to see where things can go from the very clever ending. This wasnt the Batman I expected, but it was the Batman I needed. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked it. At times I liked it a great deal…but thought it was heavily flawed. I was *really* into it for the first 90 minutes or so, but I felt it didn’t quite come together as well as it might have done. Additionally, for all the hype about Batman’s detective work, that aspect was definitely less interesting that I’d hoped it would be.

 

I had issues with the ending too. Now, if I’ve missed something I’ll welcome corrections but…

Spoiler

The Riddler’s streaming channel was, as far as I can tell, completely ignored after the detective remarked on his 500 followers, allowing the pre-recorded call to arms that set the climatic part of his plan in motion to go out. The fact that the sort of basement dwellers who’d be really into his schtick turned out to be a team of crack commandos who almost offed Batman and Catwoman didn’t convince either.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

I liked it. At times I liked it a great deal…but thought it was heavily flawed. I was *really* into it for the first 90 minutes or so, but I felt it didn’t quite come together as well as it might have done. Additionally, for all the hype about Batman’s detective work, that aspect was definitely less interesting that I’d hoped it would be.

 

I had issues with the ending too. Now, if I’ve missed something I’ll welcome corrections but…

  Hide contents

The Riddler’s streaming channel was, as far as I can tell, completely ignored after the detective remarked on his 500 followers, allowing the pre-recorded call to arms that set the climatic part of his plan in motion to go out. The fact that the sort of basement dwellers who’d be really into his schtick turned out to be a team of crack commandos who almost offed Batman and Catwoman didn’t convince either.

 

 

Spoiler

I took it that these guys were already established and the recorded message had already been shared with his followers. What we see is just a replay of it. Them being a threat to Batman at the end felt about right, not because of their particular skills but simply because there seemed to fucking loads of them. That scene where Batman smashes through the glass roof as it explodes and instantly goes into 'do not kill but really, REALLY hurt people' mode was magic!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

 

  Hide contents

I took it that these guys were already established the recorded message had already been shared with his followers. What we see is just a replay of it. Them being a threat to Batman at the end felt about right, not because of their particular skills but simply because there seemed to fucking loads of them. That scene where Batman smashes through the glass roof as it explodes and instantly goes into 'do not kill but really, REALLY hurt people' mode was magic!

 

Could be but 

Spoiler

the fact that his content was ignored post-arrest but pre-Batman returning to Riddler’s apartment still seems awfully convenient to me.


Another thing, regarding Batman and Gordon attempting to solve one of the riddles:

 

Spoiler

The fact that they decided between them that ‘rat with wings’ was referring to The Penguin was borderline hilarious. I’d question whether they could solve their own four digit iPhone passwords if that one sent them in the wrong direction. World’s Worst Detectives.


Honestly though, I think it did plenty right, and showed a world that a superior sequel could really run with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

Could be but 

  Hide contents

the fact that his content was ignored post-arrest but pre-Batman returning to Riddler’s apartment still seems awfully convenient to me.


Another thing, regarding Batman and Gordon attempting to solve one of the riddles:

 

  Hide contents

The fact that they decided between them that ‘rat with wings’ was referring to The Penguin was borderline hilarious. I’d question whether they could solve their own four digit iPhone passwords if that one sent them in the wrong direction. World’s Worst Detectives.


Honestly though, I think it did plenty right, and showed a world that a superior sequel could really run with.

 

Ok, I'll give you that second one :)

 

Spoiler

Its a Penguin... oh wait its a Bat..... oh no, its a FALCON?!?!?!! Give me peace!!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.