IGNORED

The Batman - March 2022 - Robert Pattinson Confirmed as Batman

Goose

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Seems like right wing Twitter don't like this because they think it hates it's central character and makes him weak.

OR, maybe, just maybe, it takes Batman back to his roots of no guns and no killing and actually understands it character way morew than Nolan or Synder ever did.

Spoiler

Batman punches people so hard it makes the same LFE thud as the Batmobile engine FFS.

I did think “boy the NRA is going to hate this” when Anti-Guns-Man beat the ever-living shit out of 30 wannabe tough guys with rifles though so not surprised.

Did this really have a running joke about the Penguin’s doormen?

On 03/03/2022 at 14:04, Chindie said:

If that isn't

Hide contents

the gun that killed his parents on his chest forming the emblem, and that doesn't have some sort of importance to the overarching plot

I'll be astonished.

On 03/03/2022 at 14:06, Doctor Shark said:

The thing on his chest is a gadget that detaches and he can use it for stuff. 

I love that:

Spoiler

It’s never actually explained where this actually came from onscreen, and also that it’s basically just a Stanley knife which he uses once to cut some tape and once to cut a wire.

11 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

I have no idea who Ben Shapiro is

13 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Nobody ever wants a dry squid.

The same way nobody ever asks for a "single whammy".

He's that person.

8 hours ago, Stigweard said:

So I've read that 

Hide contents

Joker was played by Barry Keoghan. That makes me more excited for the sequel.

I told my missus who that was and she was gutted, she can't stand his face lol.

Major spoiler...

Spoiler

I think I noticed his mouth was showing a lot of teeth. Possible ripped. Like in the Arkham games, darker comics?

I think joker in this world could be fucking amazing and dark as fuck. He's got a hard act to follow and will always be compared to Ledger. 

19 minutes ago, Ry said:

I told my missus who that was and she was gutted, she can't stand his face lol.

Major spoiler...

Hide contents

I think I noticed his mouth was showing a lot of teeth. Possible ripped. Like in the Arkham games, darker comics?

I think joker in this world could be fucking amazing and dark as fuck. He's got a hard act to follow and will always be compared to Ledger. 

Spoiler

Good job it looks like it's going to disfigured then lol.

I think he'll be awesome as Joker.

18 hours ago, Ry said:

Just out of it. Really bloody good. 

Not a film for everyone. At least 10 people walked out after about an hour. 

Will post my views in the rate the film thread. 

Yeah two folks on the front row in my screening walked out, honestly couldn't understand it.

Overall - loved it. I thought that...

Spoiler

Pattinson was both an excellent Batman and a brilliant recluse Wayne. I thought Cobblepot and Kyle were both really well cast too. 

The whole vibe of the film reminded me of not only the Burton stuff - but some aspects of Interview with the Vampire and John Wick. 

I loved the slow walking out of the darkness and the sheer brutality of some of the combat stuff. There were moments where it was like he was The Terminator or Darth Vader.

The one gripe I had was, the amount of times they mentioned the word "Vengeance". The first time he says it was awesome, but every other instance after that got a little cringey and lost its meaning for me. 

Also, hopefully I didn't miss a post credits sequence?

Spoiler

I guess Riddler / Joker was effectively the post credits. 

Post-credits:

Spoiler

More of a gag than anything. It just shows a terminal screen that types out "Good bye", but then there's an almost subliminal message I didn't catch. Looked like a code/riddle

Nice throwback to the classic tv series I thought, was how quickly Batman was able to solve the riddles while everyone else was pacing around in bemusement.:hat:

This was for the most part fantastic, with my only gripe being it was a bit flabby especially towards the end.  A tighter edit shaving 20 minutes or so from the run time and it would have been 5 stars from me.  As it is I would go 4.5.

Loved that.

It took the necessary time to tell its story, but never felt slow moving. 

The three hours flew by.

Spoiler

I especially liked the fact that at the start, Batman is a fearsome vigilante, where even a bloke he saves is terrified of him, yet by the end he's a genuine hero of the people.

Despite this being a very dark version of Batman, there were still one or two moments if levity...

Spoiler

Batman looking like he's going to nail the landing, then ... Ooof! :lol:

But the best one for me was the very macabre "Thumb. Drive". :lol:

Another moment of levity that I can think of is:

Spoiler

The first time Bruce sees Selina walk in and very clearly having a “moment”.

Selina and Bruce both seem to have their own little kinks in this film.

I thought this was very dull. Attempts the same thing as the Nolan movies, but does it worse and takes twice the time, with only a fraction of the complexity.

I will never watch it again, and I I really don't want to have to sit through a sequel. So I hope it fails commercially- with apologies to all those involved.

I kept thinking to myself through it- how does this pass through the various levels of studio hierarchy for approval, and the only thing I can think of is that it is the ultimate antidote after quite a few years of the Snyderverse. I suppose it also felt very similar to Joker, which I also did not enjoy at all.

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Or, you know, you could just not watch any sequel 🤷‍♂️

No man he has to sit through it. It's the law.

Does Batman have a stupid Bale-like voice in this? Please tell me he doesn't!

One really effective choice was not to justify or explain why the characters are Batman characters. No origin story with Burtonesque weirdness or Nolan grounding. It just says that this is a world where this Penguin and Catwoman and Batman exist axiomically, and that faith in its own premise convinces the audience in turn. It’s such a nice departure from the post-Nolan need to draw a logical path, no matter how implausible, between the “real” world and the movie’s, something that even Marvel are committed to, something which ironically tends to just emphasise how absurd the characters are.

I thought it was a proper mixed bag. I enjoyed a lot of the visuals and individual sequences in isolation and the performances were pretty great across the board but as a whole it left me cold.

Despite a few moments of levity it often struck me as dour, miserable and self-important to the point of parody. The teenage-emo stylings of Bruce Wayne were unintentionally amusing and while I understand that the point of Bruce Wayne's portrayal in this was that he was basically an anti-social recluse, his complete dearth of charm, charisma or, well, any kind of personality, meant that the scenes that focused on him rather than Batman dragged.

The praise for the investigative elements of the movie puzzle me. When the protagonist is set a series of puzzles and solves them within five seconds then there is no intrigue. The clues may as well not exist if there is practically no friction, even for someone as intelligent as Bruce Wayne.

There were so many individual story threads that every time one wrapped up it felt like the movie was ending but then went on again and again and again. I felt every minute of the final hour or so. There is no reason at all a movie like this needs to exist at this kind of ridiculous runtime.

38 minutes ago, Majora said:

I thought it was a proper mixed bag. I enjoyed a lot of the visuals and individual sequences in isolation and the performances were pretty great across the board but as a whole it left me cold.

Despite a few moments of levity it often struck me as dour, miserable and self-important to the point of parody. The teenage-emo stylings of Bruce Wayne were unintentionally amusing and while I understand that the point of Bruce Wayne's portrayal in this was that he was basically an anti-social recluse, his complete dearth of charm, charisma or, well, any kind of personality, meant that the scenes that focused on him rather than Batman dragged.

The praise for the investigative elements of the movie puzzle me. When the protagonist is set a series of puzzles and solves them within five seconds then there is no intrigue. The clues may as well not exist if there is practically no friction, even for someone as intelligent as Bruce Wayne.

There were so many individual story threads that every time one wrapped up it felt like the movie was ending but then went on again and again and again. I felt every minute of the final hour or so. There is no reason at all a movie like this needs to exist at this kind of ridiculous runtime.

The hype of Batman being a detective is nonsense. Alfred does more detective work, all Batman was good at was answering riddles really quick.

The entire bits of story involving Penguin could have been excised with no impact on the story. Gordon's role was simply to be a visitor pass. He did no detective work at all.

Decided to go see this again yesterday. I was kind of dreading it because of the movie’s length and general pace. 

Happy to say that this holds up on a rewatch and even improved. The flaws are still visible but the overall tone of the thing sucks you in. 

This is the first Batman film where the world of Batman is successfully brought to the big screen. 

The biggest plus for me is just Batman’s evolving relationship to the police throughout the film. Genuine tension in the first crime scene investigation and by the end he’s more or less accepted and it just felt like a natural evolution in the story.

On 04/03/2022 at 23:36, Ry said:

Just out of it. Really bloody good. 

Not a film for everyone. At least 10 people walked out after about an hour. 

Will post my views in the rate the film thread. 

I really can't fathom anyone that walks out of a cinema half way through. I mean, it might not be your film, but you paid good money to be there, you might as well watch it.

*Unless you're on a date, and they're getting frisky.

Saw this earlier. Pure amaze from me. I honestly was not expecting anything close to this good. The total media blackout was worth it as I had only seen a few shots of the Batmobile and knew nothing else at all apart from some of the cast. 

Only bits that didn’t quite land for me were Serkis as Alfred and a poorly shot car chase. Apart from that it was perfect movie making. What a staggering achievement. It’s now entirely impossible for me to pick a best Batman movie. There’s too many brilliant ones to choose from. 

5/5