IGNORED

The Batman - March 2022 - Robert Pattinson Confirmed as Batman

Goose

• 4 weeks later...

It'll probably be decent, but I'm also finding it hard to muster much enthusiasm for it. We've just had so much Batman at this point and this just looks like Batman Begins redux to me rather than a genuinely fresh new take on film.

44 minutes ago, Paulando said:

And sitting on their arse for three hours.

Perfect. Paying due respect to the man who is a bat.

Hopefully we'll also get to see what happened to his parents in slow motion. I wanna see pearls hitting an alleyway or the fans have been shortchanged.

And why he gets fascinated with bats.

Just now, Festoon said:

Perfect. Paying due respect to the man who is a bat.

Hopefully we'll also get to see what happened to his parents in slow motion.

We should do a sweepstakes. In which ten minute intervals will we see a pearl necklace snap and drop to the floor?

4 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

We should do a sweepstakes. In which ten minute intervals will we see a pearl necklace snap and drop to the floor?

100% likelihood.

To add some danger, we need to go deeper. When they're attacked I wager that Thomas Wayne tries to shield Martha (like a PROPER MAN) and gets gunned down first.

6 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Constantly revisiting Thomas & Martha's deaths too. At this point, it's redundant. But if I have to see those pearls flying through the air one more time...

31 minutes ago, Festoon said:

100% likelihood.

To add some danger, we need to go deeper. When they're attacked I wager that Thomas Wayne tries to shield Martha (like a PROPER MAN) and gets gunned down first.

With added Martha begging for the attacker to spare Bruce.

I honestly really don't think it's going to show their murder, even if it shows other aspects of Batman's origin we've seen before, like building the Batcave and suit...

Spoiler

Has it been confirmed that the symbol on his chest is The Gun That Killed His Parents, or was that just fan speculation?

I think it's more likely do something similar to how the MCU Spider-Man films treated Uncle Ben: "OK, we know you know all that backstory stuff, let's just treat that as a given and get on with telling a new story."

There's toys announced that seem to indicate that we're going to get a sequence of him fighting crime in a face bandana

and black clothes prior to getting a proper suit, much like Begins so were probably getting a retread of that plot beat at least.

Fair play to Batman 89, you get some awesome credit music then about 3 minutes in and BLAM you have fully realised Batman doing his thing on screen and beating up Moxie from Auf Wiedersen Pet and audiences weren't scratching their head in confusion about how and why this man was dressed up as a bat doing vigilante stuff.

3 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Fair play to Batman 89, about 3 minutes in BLAM you have fully realised Batman doing his thing on screen and beating up Moxie from Auf Wiedersen Pet and audiences weren't scratching their head in confusion about how and why this man was dressed up as a bat doing vigilante stuff.

Adam West went for 120 episodes and a movie without needing to show his (or Robin's) origin story!

6 hours ago, Stigweard said:

How will they manage to get that into a PG13?

That run time feels like a bit of a mistake in terms of marketing the movie. For a known quantity, like a series or director I’m hugely invested in, I’d show up, but three hours on a new Batman that’s deliberately a bit of a departure? You’re going to need some really positive reviews to get me to spent that much time on it in COVID season.

Come to think of it, Matrix Resurrections would probably have been a much tighter movie if they’d been told they had to bring it in under 130 minutes too. I worry WB have read too much in to the rapturous enthusiasm of Snyder fans for extended cuts.

I would stake my last penny that (possible suit spoilers - as daft as that sounds)

Spoiler

The Bat symbol is made from the gun that killed his parents. I suspect they will be making a big moment out of it's reveal that that is the case, because otherwise making it so conspicuously odd seems like a massive waste of time, especially as the rest of his suit looks weak cosplay level.

From the trailers there's things about this I like, it seems to be pushing back into Gotham being this slightly surreal place, which Nolan quickly abandoned in favour of Gotham is Chicago, which feels more true to the comic Batman. And I like the slightly angsty tone. And I could see Pattinson as a good Batman and Bruce.

But then it's gone for the Year 1 thing with the more realistic edge which kinda pushes me away from it again. I really want a Batman movie that commits to, in essence, doing the Animated Series in live action, or the Arkham games style. A film that does the stylised gangsters stuff but also is a world where these fantastical characters can exist and there is a brutish fully geared up Batman stalking around battering people to save the day.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

There's toys announced that seem to indicate that we're going to get a sequence of him fighting crime in a face bandana

and black clothes prior to getting a proper suit, much like Begins so we"re probably getting a retread of that plot beat at least.

Fair play to Batman 89, you get some awesome credit music then about 3 minutes in and BLAM you have fully realised Batman doing his thing on screen and beating up Moxie from Auf Wiedersen Pet and audiences weren't scratching their head in confusion about how and why this man was dressed up as a bat doing vigilante stuff.

Sounds a bit...

image.png.8487c1c262c5d5e7db95d6c7a8fd7a7c.png

17 hours ago, Festoon said:

This is looking like the perfect films for lads that like 'dark', 'gritty' and 'realistic' 

I think about 10 years ago I would have been over the moon to see something like this.

As it is, it looks a bit like they've replaced TDK's Joker with the Riddler. 

Still, looks like it's worth a watch, which is more than I can say for any other DC film.

Is it coming to HBO Max, and thus the internet at large, on release?