The Batman - March 2022 - Robert Pattinson Confirmed as Batman

On the black eye-paint thing. It looks like this will be first movie ever to not pretend the character isn't wearing a ton of black eyeshadow around Batman's eyes.

Every Batman has done this before now, and even the characters on Arrow and the CW DC shows do it. They just pretend that the mask covers the eyes, and there is no extra face paint.

So my question is this: what sort of percentage of the general casual audience are now going to be educated about the cheating with face paint having never realised before now? And given this film's honesty- will it influence all future media in terms of making the same choice?

I don't think they ever pretended he's not wearing it. It's always been blatantly obvious he had some kind of facepaint in every film, even as far back as 1989 Batman. The weird bit is how it miraculously disappears when the cowl comes off, which even as a kid bothered me. 

I guess by "pretend the character isn't wearing a ton of black eyeshadow" he means when the cowl comes off it is magically gone so in the new  one the filmmakers are no longer "pretending it isn't there".

That is what I assumed anyway but the followup question is really odd as you point out.

"So my question is this: what sort of percentage of the general casual audience are now going to be educated about the cheating with face paint having never realised before now? And given this film's honesty- will it influence all future media in terms of making the same choice?

Educated about the cheating? I mean most knew as it was really obvious (the pretence was in the removing of the cowl and it being gone not the fact he was wearing it). So it isn't a very interesting pretence as everyone knew and those who didn't will... I don't know, realise they should have had their eyes tested years ago :D

I don't even think they did it this time to remove the "cheating" I think they did it because it makes Wayne look more grimdark/real/goth - and they'll touch up that eye makeup so it looks "perfect" in terms of effect - in reality they are two big black circles not artily smeared for emo effect - so there will still be "pretending" because making movies is pretending :D

46 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I don't think they ever pretended he's not wearing it. It's always been blatantly obvious he had some kind of facepaint in every film, even as far back as 1989 Batman. The weird bit is how it miraculously disappears when the cowl comes off, which even as a kid bothered me. 

It's excusable in a Tim Burton film but my guess is that Christopher Nolan didn't want Bruce's makeup to run while he was blubbing over Rachel in the last trilogy.

I dont think we ever see Batman actually remove his cowl do we? Scenes have always been either Bruce or Batman without anything in between. I may be misremembering that though.

Even as I type I'm picturing Michael Keaton getting into the Batmobile and then his mask going on...

3 minutes ago, wev said:

I dont think we ever see Batman actually remove his cowl do we? Scenes have always been either Bruce or Batman without anything in between. I may be misremembering that though.

Even as I type I'm picturing Michael Keaton getting into the Batmobile and then his mask going on...

Off the top of my head we see it removed in Batman Returns and BvS.

Oh that cut at the end of Batman Returns always irked me!! He has the makeup, then it switches to the mask tear off shot a few secs later and it’s magically gone! At about 14secs in the below. 

p.s Pfeiffer, still top of my list. Phwoar. 

18 hours ago, drmick said:

So my question is this: what sort of percentage of the general casual audience are now going to be educated about the cheating with face paint having never realised before now? And given this film's honesty- will it influence all future media in terms of making the same choice?

I don't think it matters. File it under the same category as "why don't Bruce Banner's trousers come off when he turns into the Incredible Hulk?".

1 hour ago, James Lyon said:

I don't think it matters. File it under the same category as "why don't Bruce Banner's trousers come off when he turns into the Incredible Hulk?".

He wears unrealistically stretchy trousers, which is a different level on the verisimilitude scale.

It's well established that Hulk is mostly angry due to Banner's fetish for wearing Bettie's underwear.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Goose changed the title to The Batman - March 2022 - Robert Pattinson Confirmed as Batman

Rumours are now that Pattinson has basically refused to work out during lockdown, and he's a completely different size to the stunt doubles.

He's actually quoted early in the year saying he wouldn't either (but presumably people thought he was joking). I think that's a real shame if true.

I  understand you can't expect all actors to pull a Cavil/Hemsworth/Jackman as those guys all had underlying muscle. But he's playing a goddam super athletic super hero. I mean Affleck was never known for being big either, but he did a fantastic training job for his run as Batman. If this princess can't even be bothered to pick up a few weights when he's probably getting paid millions for this...fuck that guy...

Oh sure, he doesn't need to be JACKED like the 3 I mentioned, but he needs to look fit. Christian Bale fit, Brandon Routh fit, or even that chap who played TV Daredevil. If you look skinny, and like you've never got in a fight in your life, that's a real poor show.

He did look fine in the suit in the trailer though, didn't see enough as Bruce though.

1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

Rumours are now that Pattinson has basically refused to work out during lockdown, and he's a completely different size to the stunt doubles.

He's actually quoted early in the year saying he wouldn't either (but presumably people thought he was joking). I think that's a real shame if true.

I  understand you can't expect all actors to pull a Cavil/Hemsworth/Jackman as those guys all had underlying muscle. But he's playing a goddam super athletic super hero. I mean Affleck was never known for being big either, but he did a fantastic training job for his run as Batman. If this princess can't even be bothered to pick up a few weights when he's probably getting paid millions for this...fuck that guy...

Affleck looked fucking stupid as big beefy batman, just one of the many terrible choices that made those movies look like stupid garbage. Bruce should be in good shape, but he's not supposed to be big and muscular, more just in great shape. You can do the vast majority of that with the suit, as they did with Keaton. Bale never looks particularly muscular, so both of the decent live action Batmans are already not looking ridiculous like most super heroes do at the moment. If there's a suit and stunt doubles it shouldn't make that much difference, and if they've chosen big beefy stunt doubles because they were pressuring him to waste tonnes of his time doing pointless workouts it's their fault, not his.

5 minutes ago, Broker said:

Affleck looked fucking stupid as big beefy batman, just one of the many terrible choices that made those movies look like stupid garbage. Bruce should be in good shape, but he's not supposed to be big and muscular, more just in great shape. You can do the vast majority of that with the suit, as they did with Keaton. Bale never looks particularly muscular, so both of the decent live action Batmans are already not looking ridiculous like most super heroes do at the moment. If there's a suit and stunt doubles it shouldn't make that much difference, and if they've chosen big beefy stunt doubles because they were pressuring him to waste tonnes of his time doing pointless workouts it's their fault, not his.

I think that's a decent size!

bale bats.jpg

On 06/10/2020 at 20:32, Broker said:

9765a92c44773850c48cea36cf14ac15.jpg