Goose

The Batman - June 2021 - New Batman to be cast

This is still purely at the rumour stage but Latino Review are running with the story that Ben Affleck (who was very good in Phantoms) is going to star in and direct The Batman, a stand alone caped crusader feature. The current rumour is that it will appear in 2018, and that WB are set to announce something at Comic-con.

Given how busy the WB Superhero slate already is, they've (Latino Review) also gone on to state (rumour again) that a new Green Lantern movie is in the works, that'll focus on a number of characters, and not just Hal Jordan. Chris Pine is apparently in line to play Jordan.

Itll break down like this: Affleck will debut as Batman in March 2016s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, which Terrio wrote. Hell then appear briefly in August 2016s Suicide Squadand in a larger role in Justice League: Part One, out November 2017. Justice League: Part Two is currently scheduled for June 2019, which leaves an opening for more Batman. Thats where this new film would come in. Terrio is also scheduled to write both Justice Leaguemovies, so the timing, and continuity, works

• Upvote 3

If they're gonna bring out a new Batman every three months they could make at least one of them have the camp Batman from the 60s.

I'm so bored of superheroes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would proper lol if Batman v Superman v Colour Palette came out and bombed massively, just to see how WB reacted to this entire house of cards they're building on the damn thing crashing down.

• Upvote 4

I can't help but think that this seems like the ideal vehicle for bulldozing back down the reputation he's spent years trying to rebuild. Just can't imagine him being a convincing Batman at all.

• Upvote 1

He can be fine, I'm not saying he can't. I'm just struggling to envisage him really working in this, that's all. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though!

Urgh, just read Goose's post, Hal Jordan? FFS if you are going to bring back Green Lantern make it John Stewart please.

The rock, will smith, or idris elba?

I would proper lol if Batman v Superman v Colour Palette came out and bombed massively, just to see how WB reacted to this entire house of cards they're building on the damn thing crashing down.

I can't see it bombing but I think underperformance is definitely possible. People take for granted that Superman and Batman films will do well, but ignore that the last time they tried to reboot the franchises they underperformed, even if they didn't bomb.

I do think we've reached peak superhero, though. I think that's part of the reason Jurassic World and Furious 7 did so well - because they weren't superhero films.

Underperformed? Just how successful were they expecting Dark Knight to be exactly?

I meant Batman Begins, not The Dark Knight which was obviously a big hit.

Considering it was rebooting after the reviled Schumacher franchise killer, it did fine enough, no one was expecting Spider-Man numbers or anything. It didn't open huge but word of mouth kept it going far longer than anyone expected and it was one of the last films to really clean up on home release.

• Upvote 1

Just listening now to this week's Fatman on Batman podcast. Kevin Smith more or less confirms it. He goes out of his way to stress he hasn't talked to Ben since congratulating him on the casting, but mentions how their circles overlap and seems incredulous that media are reporting it as a rumour.

But also he's blates been talking to Ben recently as Mallrats 2 shoots toward the end of the year.

Great news, I have a feeling that Afleck will be the best thing about this 'blockbuster'. He's a smart guy, so his vision could be what it needs if we want another rough/tough Batman series.

Do we want that though? I was thinking the other day, it would be REALLY interesting if they made a feature film done just like the TV series from the 60's right? I think we're growing out of the dark gritty era and getting to a point where campness will be the new cool. Though it may take Hollywood another 5 years to realise that.

That's Batman And Robin you're thinking of. I would prefer less dark, but without swinging so far the other way. Same with Superman. The 1978 film is probably a little camp, but not too camp by as much as MoS was too dark. Of course a big part of the problem was it was dark but shit.

That's Batman And Robin you're thinking of. I would prefer less dark, but without swinging so far the other way. Same with Superman. The 1978 film is probably a little camp, but not too camp by as much as MoS was too dark. Of course a big part of the problem was it was dark but shit.

Unfortunately it looks like WB are worshipping at the altar of Frank Miller.

Over the years I've gone from liking the Dark Knight Returns to thinking it was one of the worst things to happen to Batman since it poisoned the well for years to come. At the time it was supposed to an extreme grim future vision of Batman in a Death Wish style city and felt like a fresh one-off. However it proved so popular that going forward every writer started portraying Batman as this sociopathic fascist and the rogues gallery as serial killers.

My other personal issue with DKR is that my enjoyment of it decreased in proportion to the realisation that stuff I originally read as satire should have had THIS IS WHAT FRANK MILLER ACTUALLY BELIEVES in big yellow letters at the bottom of the page

• Upvote 8

Just read that Geoff 'Hey, what if the Superfriends had lots of ultra violence and rape in it?' Johns is helping write it. There goes my shred of remaining optimism.

• Upvote 1