rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Uzi

Super Mario Maker

I read it as saying the NSMBU levels don't have the flexibility and variety of other games, which surely can't be right.

looks like it'll be Christmas before I get to play this :(. Don't think I can wait that long....

I read it as saying the NSMBU levels don't have the flexibility and variety of other games, which surely can't be right.

looks like it'll be Christmas before I get to play this :(. Don't think I can wait that long....

I didn't mean to imply that they weren't flexible, just that in order for the tile-based level construction to work everything has to be block-based, which means no slopes in SMB3/SMW/NSMBU or moving platforms other than the ones you can put on tracks, so nothing like the seesawing/rotating bridges or the moving level parts.

Granted though, it doesn't really need those things. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos showing what people have come up with so far & I'm both astounded & excited by the creativity on display. You don't need all those fancy tricks to make a great level, & it's probably better to make the level interesting from the base elements rather than relying on setpieces.

Some people have suggested that now Nintendo can't make another 2D Mario game ever again, as the cry would just be "Why isn't this in Mario Maker?"

Does that sound right? Can Nintendo only do 3D Mario from now on, or would they be able to make a 2D platformer that's sufficiently different to stand on its own, like Yoshi's Woolly World?

Or they could make a 2D Mario game with enough imagination and care as usual. It would probably still run rings around the vast majority of the user created content in this.

I think Mario Maker has the potential to be one of the best comedy sandbox games ever made. By comedy I mean comedy from the absurd, something video games do very well (goat simulator, octodad, surgeon simulator, I am bread). Although in this case it is a creation sandbox and not a physics sandbox.

I don't know how little big planet and games like it are in this area, maybe it's because Mario is so established that we are able to get the full comedic effect that comes from subverting the standard Nintendo design and making something incredibly silly.

Either way it is a very exciting game.

Some people have suggested that now Nintendo can't make another 2D Mario game ever again, as the cry would just be "Why isn't this in Mario Maker?"

Does that sound right? Can Nintendo only do 3D Mario from now on, or would they be able to make a 2D platformer that's sufficiently different to stand on its own, like Yoshi's Woolly World?

Yes they absolutely can. There no way of creating a truly unique idea like Nintendo do constantly in their games

Or they could make a 2D Mario game with enough imagination and care as usual. It would probably still run rings around the vast majority of the user created content in this.

The user created stuff in this is trying to do something completely different in this though. This isn't about expert game design, it's about trying to play on nostalgia and making you laugh.

You can't man. You'll miss the buzz of everyone creating levels. You need it on release day.

But imagine unwrapping this on Christmas morning, and BAM! A Mario game with a million levels! It would have been my dream Xmas Present in 1991.

Looking good...

Nintendo Everything – “Thumbs Up”
IGN – 9 / 10
GameSpot – 9 / 10
DigitalSpy – 4 / 5
Polygon – 9.5 / 10
Nintendo World Report – 8 / 10
Nintendo Life – 10 / 10
Kotaku – “Yes”
Destructoid – 8 / 10
USGamer – 5 / 5
Game Informer – 9 / 10

i love mario games, but think the idea of making my own levels sounds shorted lived (or playing other people's super hard ones!) and i have no real desire to do it.

baring that in mind - whats left for me to get hyped about?

i love mario games, but think the idea of making my own levels sounds shorted lived (or playing other people's super hard ones!) and i have no real desire to do it.

It comes with an art book. I felt the same for a while but the more I've seen the more the possibilities appeal. Just getting people you know or members from here making levels for each other should provide enough entertainment. I quite often find I'm in the mood to muck around with something but not necessarily play a game so making a level in this might happen more for me than I thought too.

Oh, and SMW art style levels in widescreen for the first time ever.

• Upvote 3

I sat up last night for an hour longer than intended because I fell into a YouTube style black hole of finding new stuff and trying it.

I don't think it will just be super hard levels either. I'm sure they'll be plenty of those, but it seems the community is coming together to try to recreate 'classic' Mario too (ala JPickford's video above).

I have this ordered and I'm looking forward to it, but the community levels are going to consist of either recreations of old levels, super-super hard levels, or 'concept' levels that are rubbish, but have an interesting twist that makes you go: 'huh, cool!'.

It would be nice to have some average difficulty but very well designed levels though. Hopefully these will be featured and easy to find.

• Upvote 1

I have this ordered and I'm looking forward to it, but the community levels are going to consist of either recreations of old levels, super-super hard levels, or 'concept' levels that are rubbish, but have an interesting twist that makes you go: 'huh, cool!'.

It would be nice to have some average difficulty but very well designed levels though. Hopefully these will be from Rllmuk users

My pre-order just got cancelled too saying I had no money in my account. I paid using Paypal.

Luckily I preordered a backup from the Nintendo store as well as Game has never once managed to fulfil an order I have placed with them. How they are still in business I don't know.

And I just got an email saying it has shipped wtf. Those who were charged multiple times was that via direct card payments or PayPal? I haven't had any PayPal emails other than saying game are refunding

And I just got an email saying it has shipped wtf. Those who were charged multiple times was that via direct card payments or PayPal? I haven't had any PayPal emails other than saying game are refunding

Debit Card.