Super Mario Maker

Thought I'd post my levels in here as well, as this thread seems a little busier than the other one:

A cathartic starman

7FEE-0000-0024-4070

My first proper go, basically just a bit of platforming and then kind of a gimmick.

Castle trials

52B7-0000-0038-A413

A pretty good castle level, I think, with some nice challenges.

Dangerous jetships (+ a secret!)

E287-0000-003D-DE52

A pretty decent go at an airship level. Can you find the secret route?

Ghost House Athletic (no ghosts)

F4A7-0000-0043-0F79

A ghost house with no ghosts. Look out again for a secret second path.

He Shot Me Down (Bang Bang)

197D-0000-004B-74EE

I'm particularly proud of this level; I used the four-step level design philosophy (introduction, refinement, twist, finale). Also, there's another secret path.

I thought "He shot me down" was excellent! Great job!

Tweaked A Link To The Pipe based on where people were dying, now 6C7B-0000-004F-EEAB. Its a shame you can't edit in place based on feedback.

Should have sold it first time to. This is to A Link To The Past what the restored Jesus picture is to the original. Relive all your favourite LTTP moments, like the time Yoshi turns up in the forest and the ice palace without any block puzzles! Marvel at how the worlds don't really link up right! Fund useless hidden 1ups! Realise the editor doesn't let you do a coin Triforce right!

No refund of either time or money available.

Made my first level. Intended to be easy to complete but the challenge is getting the 1up on the flag at the end where you'll have to do a (little) bit of exploring. Should point you in the right direction though.

0B9B-0000-004B-E65D

Will go for a more complicated one next time.

Easy Total Rewind: 394B-0000-0050-3478

An experiment with using doors to back track on an auto scrolling level

Easy Asteroids Deluxe: 8285-0000-004F-5941

My second attempt to re-create asteroids. This time using water. Works well if you kill the giant goombas by hitting them rather than shooting as they split into 2 like asteroids.

I've been deliberately taking the feathers! For the first one you can hold jump and glide to the pipe, run, then duck-jump back to the bridge, rapidly mashing jump while you still have momentum to carry Mario through the the Bob-Omb section, take hits and dash.

I really enjoyed the stage, very nicely timed!

What!? That's certainly a different way through! :)

The House Of Death! - 65B8-0000-0051-60E0

Amazing :) I shudder to think how long that took to make.

I've made a couple more,

Don't Get Run Over

C379-0000-0051-04E7

A rapid scroller with a 20 second time limit, so you won't have to endure it for long.

Workin' Nine To Five

9F74-0000-0052-062B

A journey up Bowser's corporate ladder.

I also have a new level:

Track and Wheeled

EBC6-0000-0051-FA63

Another go at progressive level design, with elements building on each other.

These join my existing levels:

(Spoilered for space)

A cathartic starman

7FEE-0000-0024-4070

My first proper go, basically just a bit of platforming and then kind of a gimmick.

Castle trials

52B7-0000-0038-A413

A pretty good castle level, I think, with some nice challenges.

Dangerous jetships (+ a secret!)

E287-0000-003D-DE52

A pretty decent go at an airship level. Can you find the secret route?

Ghost House Athletic (no ghosts)

F4A7-0000-0043-0F79

A ghost house with no ghosts. Look out again for a secret second path.

He Shot Me Down (Bang Bang)

197D-0000-004B-74EE

I'm particularly proud of this level; I used the four-step level design philosophy (introduction, refinement, twist, finale). Also, there's another secret path.

I did a fun session for some of my new students yesterday for Fresher's Week. Only five turned up, but these are the levels they created:

E61C 0000 0052 56B8

EC39 0000 0052 4670

BF67 0000 0052 4271

565A 0000 0052 3E2E

DCC7 0000 0052 29F2

And here's my latest creation:

Hidden Heights of Boo!

AA1A 0000 0052 1518

I really like this one I've done.

Tried to make ghost house level, but there weren't enough doors to really make it mind fucky enough, plus the thumbnail gives the game away again. It's pretty much impossible not to finish. So it'll be interesting to see the percentages on this.

6550-0000-0052-BDCD

Joffo that level looks amazing, I haven't built a level with yoshi in it yet.

I think it would be cool if they allow a ghost save either for racing purposes or just to watch someone complete the mental kaizo type levels.

I love playing other people's creations just to see how they place items. Didn't know you can have a track and place bowser on it so he moves like a platform. I've also seen boo's placed on blocks which then just move really quickly left to right on that block, not like normal boo movement.

:)

Challenge level going well so far :) Only Joffo has defeated.

post-18206-0-79365300-1442714387_thumb.j

I've been playing that Panga guys levels from the video Timmo posted, they're insane. He made the item abuse romhacks of SMW.

Skyzo is awesome looking when done properly:

The code for that one is 2731-0000-001A-E853

Shell Shock is also really tough:

But the guy who made it makes it look simple:

Course ID: DB46-0000-001C-1E0E

Here's a video of my Yoshi's Flamboyant Prison Break course too:

That's a beauty. I don't even have this game, yet...

I also didn't know some of those things were even possible and I completed Super Mario World a number of times.

If you're not a level designer, at least, you really ought to be.

I don't have a Wii U so I can't join in but I have been watching a lot and thinking about the kinds of levels I'd make.

I started playing through Super Mario Bros. 3 this weekend (on World 7 at the moment had to leave it paused overnight) and one thing which struck me is how short some of the levels are. Super Mario World introduced much longer and more intricate levels to the series, but in SMB3 the pattern seems to be a) introduce a new concept, b) teach the player how to deal with it, c) let the player finish and move on to something else. Look at this level, for example.

https://youtu.be/nTSzSRMvU_U?t=15m24s

If the playhead doesn't move forward then skip to 15:24.

A brand new concept is introduced, but then as soon as the player is competent enough to deal with it the level finishes and the game moves on. I don't think those weird bug things are featured in any other level, either. But I also got to thinking that this approach would only really work if you're battling through a world that is structured with these short, varied challenges. I suppose with Super Mario Maker you're playing levels as one offs and it makes more sense to build challenges similarly to the video John posted some pages back (introduce a challenge, expand on it and make it harder, then give the player a reward near the end). I wonder if in the future the game will allow users to make a world map and fill it with their own levels. I think this might influence design choices quite a bit.

Basically I haven't played a single second of this god damn game but it's all I can think of.

I built my first four levels as a set because you can play groups of four levels in order from the save screen with lives carried over and a world complete thing, so I imagined that you might be able to upload them like that. After discovering that you can't my fifth level was a much larger, more intricate, branching level because the game only really encourages you to play levels as single things.