rllmuk
Smoothy

Top Gear - Series 24

17 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Ahaha

_88214543_@ggs80.jpg

Stig being Chinese (known as the invisible minority) completes the lineup.

AHAHAHA THE BBC WANT TO PUT PEOPLE ON TV WHO AREN'T MIDDLE AGED WHITE GUYS HAHAHA!!!!!

Seriously, if you're actually laughing at that you should consider checking if you've been lobotomised while you were laughing at a passing duck or something.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

Are they going to get a vegetarian to review a new steak restaurant next week, then be shocked when they don't approve.

You clicked on it; the article worked.

• Upvote 2

Just caught up with that Guardian piece. It takes a particular sort of cognitive dissonance to:

-  on the one hand, criticise the show for "making bad jokes about – among other things – sexually transmitted infections, “poor people”, a soft clutch, homosexuality, Germans, “unprotected sex with an Ethiopian transvestite”, domestic violence, murdering sex workers, and women drivers",

- on the other hand, fit in a crass dig of your own about the presumed sexual dysfunction of its viewers: "Top Gear fetishises the totally unnecessary consumption of fossil fuels in the name of sport, entertainment and feeling better about your premature ejaculation disorder".

Not especially classy.

I see there's daft twats moaning about the show filming a car driving near (40m) the Cenotaph. You know, that Cenotaph that's in the middle of a bloody road. But it's disrespectful to be driving near it. 

I suspect in real life, no one complained... But it suits an anti BBC agenda of the editors of the newspapers to suggest that there were.  Chris Evans had to apologise on radio 2 this morning at length. What a load of pish.

No such thing as bad press. Except when there is. Still, apparently the filming disrupted George Osborne, so Top Gear ruins the Budget or something. Those anarchists!

It's not about who complains (you don't just get to release PR images of you gatecrashing weddings and then bury the other stuff that comes out), and the car wasn't just driving down the road either. The crew and cast were purposefully filming a suped up street car doing donuts and burnouts with the Cenotaph in the background.

On the one hand, it does strike me as immediately disrespectful to treat the Cenotaph as just a "London landmark" as opposed to a war memorial. On the other hand, I then realised I didn't really care and I'm quite sure it's appeared in plenty of pieces of light entertainment over the years.

I thought George Osbourne just picked a group of people out of a hat that and then came up with a way to screw them over?

Also that retired Colonel obviously never watched or read anything involving Clarkson

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

I suspect in real life, no one complained... But it suits an anti BBC agenda of the editors of the newspapers to suggest that there were.  Chris Evans had to apologise on radio 2 this morning at length. What a load of pish.

With an added "our boys" narrative as well.

Some retired Colonel outraged that those that died in wars have done more for their countries than Evans and Le Blanc ever will..............

What odds some petition crops up demanding Top Gear be cancelled, Le Blanc deported, Evans hanged and then signed by all the people who were outraged that poor old Clarkson got sacked.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

At worst I think it's just an ill-judged use of location, rather than anything particularly malicious by the Top Gear crew, but then again you could argue they should know better. Top Gear has had a target on it for years, so any kind of gaffe is going to see them vilified as the worst thing in the world.

Personally I'm not offended, just thinking the producers should have applied a bit more common sense; it's not like London is lacking other prominent roads backdropped by landmarks that wouldn't cause outrage.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I see there's daft twats moaning about the show filming a car driving near (40m) the Cenotaph. You know, that Cenotaph that's in the middle of a bloody road. But it's disrespectful to be driving near it. 

I almost became an orphan because of the Cenotaph, my dad was absolutely bladdered and off his head, and almost crashed head on into it before my mother screamed at him and grabbed the wheel to swerve away at the last second.

I like to think there's an alternate universe Batman out there who strikes fear and terror into drink-drivers and overly robust war memorials.

• Upvote 7

The old Top Gear guys could get away with stuff like this, because they appeared to not give a shit about what people thought - or what the repercussions were (ultimately the repercussion was a programme on a new channel and a pay rise). But that was after years of building up a loyal following who would defend them.

Trouble is that the new team have none of that backing and Chris Evans has everything to lose now, one silly stunt could easily see him being sacked from his breakfast show.

So let's all join hands and pray that he does something really stupid.....

• Upvote 1

Maybe I've missed something here, but I genuinely don't understand how a central London landmark in the middle of a road appearing in the background of a completely unrelated driving stunt becomes offensive in any way whatsoever with it specifically being a war memorial.  If the stunt in question was in some way war related (like the spoof Normandy beach landing they once did with a Ford Fiesta) then yeah, sure, but this really does seem like a storm in a teacup and barely even worth acknowledging, let alone apologising for.

• Upvote 1

Paper sees something it thinks will cause offence to someone, searches around it finds someone who would be offended, shows them pictures, they are offended, runs major story about offensive things being done. 

• Upvote 3

A load of fuss over nothing. Seriously, it's a TV show filming in London. maybe if they would have crashed into the thing or got out and pissed on it, then yeah, I would understand. But they were just filming near it, not even next to it. Maybe I missed something too, but maybe it was just a slow news day.

On 14/03/2016 at 9:23 PM, CarloOos said:

Maybe I've missed something here, but I genuinely don't understand how a central London landmark in the middle of a road appearing in the background of a completely unrelated driving stunt becomes offensive in any way whatsoever with it specifically being a war memorial.  If the stunt in question was in some way war related (like the spoof Normandy beach landing they once did with a Ford Fiesta) then yeah, sure, but this really does seem like a storm in a teacup and barely even worth acknowledging, let alone apologising for.

A R E     B O Y S

R
E

B
O
Y
S