Top Gear - Series 24

I was thinking earlier today (a dangerous pastime) and came to the conclusion that I'd like to see the Top Gear team do something like Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing, still stick with the formula of blokes fucking about in cars but allow them the freedom to maybe talk about their health and family lives, I think Gone Fishing is doing an amazing thing but I think alot of men will still brush it off as "old man problems", but with Flintoff's recent documentary about Bulimia and his battle with depression and McGuinness having health issues himself plus raising kids with autism, it'd be a great avenue for the BBC to break more boundaries in helping men discuss their health.

11 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

Yep, I'd have a Roma or Portofino instead.

To be fair, the Roma and Portofino are more GTs than the SF90. If i wanted a weapon I'd save some money and buy a Pista. This one especially https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008172578788?postcode=sl99sh&radius=1500&sort=price-asc&make=FERRARI&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&advertising-location=at_cars&model=488 PISTA&page=2

12 hours ago, wev said:

Don't like the look of that Ferrari, looks like a Corvette

I said that you my missus. I could tell from the way she said "I'll take your word for it" then continued scrolling through Instagram that she found my car knowledge a massive turn on.

Really enjoyed that episode. The three of them work really well together when they're just arsing about and produce a load of genuine laugh out loud moments. Paddy can veer into Uncle Knobhead territory, though.

I've parked in that car park. And driven around Three Sisters...

1 hour ago, marsh said:

Is it that bad?

It's worse.. it's banned by most airlines (not least because as the fish inside becomes more rancid over time, the tins deform and would likely explode due to the added pressure changes during flight..) and it would take 2-3 days of repeated cleaning to get the smell out of the cabin upholstery.

Not to mention the nausea it would cause the passengers..

You don't want to open a tin indoors basically - unless you like the idea of your house stinking like a a bin of two week old rubbish something drowned in sewage has been decomposing in for a good while..

There was a craze of Youtube idiots trying the stuff as a challenge a few years back.. just opening the tin made plenty of them vomit on the spot even before they ate any..

That was quite good - it was nice seeing Paddy going back to Bolton and just interacting with people, it feels a lot more genuine than the extremely contrived antics from elsewhere. They should lean into that kind of thing a bit more.

The dynamic still feels a bit off, especially the segment where Chris was trying to do a lap of the test track and Paddy & Freddie kept trying to smother him with a duvet. They had the same thing on the old Top Gear, but it felt a bit more equitable - in this, it's two physically imposing blokes sledging a small nerd, and it makes me a little uneasy. They don't feel like they're actually mates. The conversations between Chris and Freddie remind me of when you have a group of friends where they're all mates with one person but not with each other, and you get these awkward moments when the lynchpin friend leaves and everyone has to kill time until he gets back.

Much better episode than the first imo. The f40, just timeless.

The jag I'm not that fussed about, but the lambo is a fucking dreadful thing, the best thing that could have happened to it. I had a go in a diablo vt at oulton years ago, and it was an unwieldy, unpredictable mess.

As for the bargain write off's....I'm tempted. Or at least I was as no doubt prices will head north....

9 minutes ago, marsh said:

Much better episode than the first imo. The f40, just timeless.

The jag I'm not that fussed about, but the lambo is a fucking dreadful thing, the best thing that could have happened to it. I had a go in a diablo vt at oulton years ago, and it was an unwieldy, unpredictable mess.

As for the bargain write off's....I'm tempted. Or at least I was as no doubt prices will head north....

To bolton? 

Thought car park musical chairs was genius.

3 hours ago, drmick said:

What is that tune that was playing when Flintoff did his second attempt at 200mph? Like an 80s synth Rocky Beverly Hills Cop type tune. I've heard it a few times recently.

Sirius by Alan Parsons Project. 

As the Harris correctly pointed out, if you buy a pranged masser, you will be waiting a very long time for the right parts to come along.

In fact you'd probably get more money breaking it for spares.

I stopped watching this as I found the constant putting down of Chris Harris by the other two excessive and uncomfortable to watch.

I know the banter is the seemingly selling point of these shows but didn't like the one sidedness of it.

Is this still happening or should I still not bother?

Erm, a mixed bag last night. The supercar bit, no, as Harris had a chance to rip paddy to bits.

The insurance car challenge, well you just knew that harris was going to get a beating, less so in the wall of death. On writing that it was fairly balanced if entirely predictable.

It's quite possible that flintoff in particular is a total yobbo, I fully expect him to be at the centre of some kind of fight/meltdown in the not too distant future. I bet it's very easy to flip his switch.

3 hours ago, Pug said:

I stopped watching this as I found the constant putting down of Chris Harris by the other two excessive and uncomfortable to watch.

I know the banter is the seemingly selling point of these shows but didn't like the one sidedness of it.

They've knocked it on the head a bit, but it's still happening on occasion. The format is fun, but McGuiness and Flintoff are as unlikeable as ever. 

27 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

but McGuiness and Flintoff are as unlikeable as ever. 

It wouldn't be Top Gear without splitting peoples opinions right down the middle on the presenters. I think the current 3 are brilliant and it's the best it's ever been. Everything is scripted and made up anyway, but I just like the chemistry between this 3 way much more than any of the previous presenters.

7 hours ago, Pug said:

Despite what others have said they definitely no longer gang up on Chris. I was very uncomfortable with it that first season, but it's clear the bosses have stamped it out. At least the ganging up on Chris bit. There's a still a fair bit of tomfoolery but nowhere to the level where you think it is outright evil, or to a level where you fear actual bodily harm can occur.

28 minutes ago, drmick said:

Despite what others have said they definitely no longer gang up on Chris. I was very uncomfortable with it that first season, but it's clear the bosses have stamped it out. At least the ganging up on Chris bit. There's a still a fair bit of tomfoolery but nowhere to the level where you think it is outright evil, or to a level where you fear actual bodily harm can occur.

Got to agree with this. The first season was awful for Freddy bullying Chris. Even when Chris issued a tweet that they got on it still didn't sit well with me. This season has been much more balanced where they all take the piss out of each other with no apparent bullying.