Smoothy

Top Gear - Series 24

I've never liked Chris Evans, but my opinion of him is at an all time low after Youtube has been firing un-skip able adverts for his TFI friday album at me between every song for the last week.

If there is a stig then he will have failed, it needs to be totally new Top Gear. I have no idea what a totally new Top Gear looks like, but I think it'll definitely still be "entertainment show featuring cars" again rather than "car show that is occasionally entertaining" that I've seen a few people hope for.

On his show earlier he mentioned that he'll be keeping parts of it because he loves the show and there are some things he'd never dream of changing. With the co-presenter thing he also announced that anyone can apply with a 30-second video as the audition process produced Hammond and May last time out.

They have already said they keeping Star in a reasonably priced car so the format isn't changing heavily.

they should get clarkson to do the first one. :coffee:

I think its depends on the star. The one James Blunt did actually completely changed my opinion of him from Twat to actually really genuine bloke.

Where as the Will Smith one confirmed my opinion that he is a complete tool.

What I do hope they get rid of is the completely pointless "we decided to race all these buses/taxis/caravans driven by touring car drivers around this track. We told them not to hit each other... LOOK WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!! THEY ARE CRASHING INTO EACH OTHER IGNORING ALL THE RULEs !! HAHAHAHA CRAZY"

• Upvote 1

To be honest outside of the challenges (and some of those were fucking awful, the ambulance one springs to mind) and the "Jeremy reviews a car on the test track" a lot of the studio stuff was pretty crap.

I'm optimistic. If they can bring the Clarkson-Hammond-May format back to where it was in about 2008-2010 then I'll be more than happy, the final few years of the new format had almost become self parody with too much of a focus on scripted "accidents" captured from five different perfectly framed angles in glorious 1080p. I don't want a poor sketch show with some cars in the background, I want a car show which also happens to be a good laugh. Evans can definitely deliver that.

• Upvote 1

On his show earlier he mentioned that he'll be keeping parts of it because he loves the show and there are some things he'd never dream of changing. With the co-presenter thing he also announced that anyone can apply with a 30-second video as the audition process produced Hammond and May last time out.

So it has a 50% success rate?

• Upvote 1

That comment really doesn't make much sense, does it? They needed two co-hosts, and they decided that they'd get them by that audition process, so of course that audition process produced the two co-hosts.

May didn't go through an audition process. Clarkson and Wilman wanted May on for the new format and he was unsure - he'd done stuff for old Top Gear and wasn't that keen. He only came on board for series 2, Jason Dawe did series 1.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/be-a-top-gear-presenter-how-to-apply-chris-evans-2015-06-19

Yesterday, Chris Evans announced he was kicking off a worldwide audition to find potential talent for the next series of Top Gear.

And now we can tell you how to do it. Chris wants you to send in a 30-second audition video – and do make sure it's no longer than 30 seconds, or the clip won't be accepted.

Importantly, your audition tape should feature no gimmicks, no stunts, and – most importantly – no cars, please. Just you, and you alone to camera, being enthusiastic and car-obsessed and, well...TG-ish.

You must be 17 or older to enter, and entries will be accepted from all over the world.

It'll be Chris and his pal and co producer Will sat at a table doing zany things in between review clips set to 90s bands. Maybe a special guest that he's best pals with or an interview with Lewis Hamilton that'll bore you to tears.

Oh wait that was his TFI Friday from last week.

I know this was a bit of a joke, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the new format is not all that different from TFI Friday. Chris Evans is terrible, but he's even worse when he has to share presenting duties with anyone else - I.e The One Show.

His radio and TV presenting has always been based on Howard Stern (and subsequently Steve Wright). He's the absolute centre with a few extra "personalities" around him. Usually not professional presenters, but people that might work behind the scenes and are OK in front of the camera or microphone. It also makes sure that he's the main "star" of the show.

The fact that he's auditioning for unknowns makes me think it's going to be even more like this. Him sitting at a desk, with an audience around him, while he introduces 5 minute segments. Which will be the same segments every week with a crappy comedy intro voiceover.

So yeah, TFI Friday or his radio 2 show but with a focus on cars. He's never produced anything else apart from that. He's also got too big an ego to let anyone else get the limelight.

I also despise the fact that the BBC are so fucking predictable. Same old "talent" gets wheeled out for these sorts of shows. Although I'm surprised it didn't go to Adrian Chiles, Clare Balding or Jake Humphries. Well maybe not Jake as he is in current BBC limbo. Don't worry, he'll be back. They always come back....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Jake could do Top Gear. He'd be a great choice. It would be a totally different tone, but still be good fun. He was brilliant on the F1.

Jake could do Top Gear. He'd be a great choice. It would be a totally different tone, but still be good fun. He was brilliant on the F1.

He would have been a better choice, but moving to BT Sports looks like it's temporarily killed his BBC career.. like Colin Murray and Talksport (who would have been a decent choice as well).

I suppose it could have been worse.

It could have been James Martin.

I would say keep a separate one, but maybe merge some of the very recent posts from the old one into this one? And perhaps then lock the old thread?

Done this. I'll leave the old one open though. Not sure why. Scared of locking, I guess.

• Upvote 2

Loved him on BBC F1. He's terrible on BTSport though. And crap on twitter too, bit of a sanctimonious twat.

Not really - we have lots of threads in here about rumoured projects and so on. If there's something to discuss, it can go in a thread. If it comes to nothing, the thread dies. Where's the downside?

Hang on, this is the Top Gear 2016 thread, not the Cars On TV thread. Please split that off, because surely we'll want a thread about the new Clarkson show.

Probably best to make a thread when it actually exists?

Not really - we have lots of threads in here about rumoured projects and so on. If there's something to discuss, it can go in a thread. If it comes to nothing, the thread dies. Where's the downside?

New thread here.

• Upvote 1