Smoothy

Top Gear - Series 24

Did you see him present TFI the other week or listen to his radio show? He's a presenter on the one show the blandest bit of telly around that should say it all really.

Can't stand Evans, Clarkson at least had a sense of his own bufoonishness which dampered the revulsion he inspired at times. Evans believes his own hype.

• Downvote 1

Well that's it for the 8 million viewers it got. 4m will be a good number still but the show is gone - 3 main presenters and senior producers etc onto netflix or similar, who will see a spike in subscribers though obv never near the numbers it got before. Not that it matters - the 3 can carry on as before and netflix bolsters it rep long term for when the license fee goes and the TV market changes. It's a long game.

I don't mind Chris Evans, at least he's actually a motoring enthusiast. Cautiously optimistic here.

This is the way I'm feeling about it all. As long as he doesn't just try to replicate Old New Top Gear and does his own New New Top Gear, he should do alright.

We'll see, I guess.

Chris Evans explains how he was offered the job (source). Apparently he was offered the job on Thurs, the day before the TFI Friday broadcast. When did he film the driving-in-a-Ferrari-with-Clarkson bit?

Well that's it for the 8 million viewers it got. 4m will be a good number still but the show is gone - 3 main presenters and senior producers etc onto netflix or similar, who will see a spike in subscribers though obv never near the numbers it got before. Not that it matters - the 3 can carry on as before and netflix bolsters it rep long term for when the license fee goes and the TV market changes. It's a long game.

Not sure what you were expecting. With the three usual presenters gone, whoever was chosen was always going to be anticlimatic. That said, Chris Evans is a decent choice.

Think I'd have preferred a guest presenter every episode; Jay Leno, Steve Coogan, the bloke off ACDC, Chris Evans, Jodi Kidd, even Jeremy Clarkson after he's been in the doghouse long enough.

Still, Evans is overdue a TV success and proved in the 90s he can pull in a crowd. Plenty of those kids that watched TFI and Big Breakfast are paunchy car enthusiasts now as well.

Top Gear website link

I'm not particularly keen on Chris Evans, but at least he does have his own distinct personality, and it's different to Clarkson's. And he does know about cars and stuff and he is a talented presenter, I think.

It'll be interesting to see what they do about other presenters - Evans has dropped a slight hint that James May might be involved somehow. I think that would be weird, and that it'd be better just to get some other presenters. Now they've got a face to head it up, they can be unknowns. I do think it'd be good to have a woman, just to get a bit further away from the tedious laddiness the old show was suffering from.

I just hope they focus more on cars, really.

Most of the response from the public seems to be focussed on Chris Evans not being Jeremy Clarkson. In both personality and lacking the non PC attitude.

However this is all based on them wanting an exact replacement for Clarkson and the format of the show not changing at all.

The BBC will reinvent the show (Keeping its core features of course) and shape it around Evans. They did it when they shook it up the first time and they can do it again.

I think its just hard for most people to see past what they have been watching for the past ten years. Good luck to em.

• Upvote 1

Didn't they sack the people responsible for the shake up last time? They had been trying for ages to improve the show and until Clarkson and that producer guy came along it was pretty poor.

I think it's also the fact Evans is producing the show and his TV output is still firmly stuck on the 90s.

I have horrible visions of a reinvented top gear looking like an episode of TFI Friday or Don't forget your toothbrush - i hope I'm proved wrong but it'll take a fair bit of convincing considering how much of a smug twat the man appears to be.

Didn't they sack the people responsible for the shake up last time? They had been trying for ages to improve the show and until Clarkson and that producer guy came along it was pretty poor.

No, they disbanded/cancelled it (the original Top Gear, that is). Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Wilman subsequently pitched a new format and the BBC accepted and broadcast it under the same Top Gear name the following year.

Most of the response from the public seems to be focussed on Chris Evans not being Jeremy Clarkson. In both personality and lacking the non PC attitude.

However this is all based on them wanting an exact replacement for Clarkson and the format of the show not changing at all.

The BBC will reinvent the show (Keeping its core features of course) and shape it around Evans. They did it when they shook it up the first time and they can do it again.

I think its just hard for most people to see past what they have been watching for the past ten years. Good luck to em.

Yeah Top Gear was never going to be the same no matter who was presenting it - it died the moment Jeremy Clarkson was told his contract was not going to be renewed. People just need to get over it and face the fact that Top Gear is going to be different.

I think he was the inevitable choice. There was an extremely limited field; a main host that has broadcast/journalisitic experience, entertainment value, and credibility when talking about cars.

There was him, and Jay Leno, basically, maybe someone like Mike Brewer could have done it.

Think I'd have preferred a guest presenter every episode; Jay Leno, Steve Coogan, the bloke off ACDC, Chris Evans, Jodi Kidd, even Jeremy Clarkson after he's been in the doghouse long enough.

Still, Evans is overdue a TV success and proved in the 90s he can pull in a crowd. Plenty of those kids that watched TFI and Big Breakfast are paunchy car enthusiasts now as well.

Evans is passable on radio (just), but a bit of a cunt on TV. I'm hoping that he has a good supporting cast around him though.

The best thing I read about the old trio was this, from the BBC actually!

"When Jeremy Clarkson relaunched Top Gear in 2002 it ceased to be a programme about cars; it became a programme about slightly tragic men who loved cars. The essence was banter, lists and brilliant film-making. The problem is what happens when you lose the blokes."

So I don't think you will really get this again, so it will be a different show altogether. Evans has landed possibly the best job on TV, so if he fucks this up...

Keep a separate one for this revamp.

I think Chris Evans is a fine choice. I haven't watched Top Gear for years because it became truly unbearable - apart from James May, who was and is very decent and likeable host.

So yeah, I'll start watching this again.

• Upvote 1

So, you'll get Evans, probably Jodie Kidd, and maybe Guy Martin? This has all the potential of those motoring shows on Channel 5 to *drive* me to sleep on Sunday nights.

It's not that the original format of Top Gear (pre-Andy Wilman) was bad, it was just dull. And as much as Kidd & Wilson try and make their Classic Car Show on 5 entertaining, they fail miserably.

It'll be Chris and his pal and co producer Will sat at a table doing zany things in between review clips set to 90s bands. Maybe a special guest that he's best pals with or an interview with Lewis Hamilton that'll bore you to tears.

Oh wait that was his TFI Friday from last week.