rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Naysonymous

Football thread 2015/16 season.

who can tell me more about the Czechs?

I had a look at their team and their midfield and frontline consist almost entirely of domestic based players I'm not familiar with. their results have been solid but not spectacular, though I've not seen any of the games so that could be misleading.

have they qualified because of the Turkish and Dutch meltdowns or is there something exciting going on? they were great when i was a kid, would be nice having them back to their best. do they have any players who are really good and have names that are fun to say like Poborsky.

Definitely not over for Scotland. We (Ireland) have to play the World Champions, who still need a win to top the group, and then play away to a really good Poland team. Scotland will win their last game away to Gibraltar and could sneak a point at home to Poland. Lots of twists left in our group.

Part of me would like a draw between Scotland and Poland because then a point off Poland would take us into the playoffs and a win would take us to France automatically.

However my head says that even the prospect of needing 1 point off Germany or Poland terrifying and I should pray for a Poland win and hope we get lucky in the playoffs.

I think Ireland have enough about them to get a draw in Warsaw. Poland are the better side, but Ireland's problem isn't in defence, it's the complete lack of attacking threat. A situation where a draw puts Poland in the finals and Ireland in the playoffs is probably just going to fizzle out.

It's from the Challenge Cup final I think.

I've changed my mind. It's not the players or the tactics or the manager that makes me dislike England, it's the fucking dirge that awful band plays every time they play. That band even managed to ruin the hockey at the Olympics. Fuck them and their atmosphere ruining racket.

• Upvote 1

With qualification achieved, the goalscoring chart is the focus tonight, isn't it? We're all wondering whether England's goalscoring hero, having drawn level with Bobby Charlton by netting against San Marino on Saturday, can go out in front alone as England's greatest ever goalscorer. Will this be the night that Own Goal writes England history?

With qualification achieved, the goalscoring chart is the focus tonight, isn't it? We're all wondering whether England's goalscoring hero, having drawn level with Bobby Charlton by netting against San Marino on Saturday, can go out in front alone as England's greatest ever goalscorer. Will this be thr

Yeah this game is boring, guessing you fell asleep midpost...

watched 5 mins. interst waned. i see its a high scoring affair from the website. i wonder how much tickets were to it

£20 in the family sections, £45-55 in most other places. Lots more in the hospitality. Doesn't look like it's sell out but a Tube strike had been announced for today (since cancelled) which probably put quite a few people off of buying tickets. It wouldn't surprise me if Rooney got substituted in San Marino so the FA could sell a few of the remaining tickets tonight to those hoping to see him break the record.

• Upvote 1

Really nice goal that. Nice weight on the pass from Rooney, good run and perfect cut-back from Shaw, and a lovely finish from Kane.

Shaw has been excellent again tonight. England have been much better after half-time.

England have been great since half time.

The usual response to England these days is 'Shit tactics, shit play, shit manager, shit shit shit'.

But this qualifying campaign, Hodgson has us playing a higher-tempo counter attack style, he's utilising good young hungry players like Shaw (who's been great for a while now), Clyne, Barkley, Delph, Kane and others.

We've also got a 100% record in qualifying (which no other team has). I just don't know what else people expect of him or England.

Well exactly. Hodgson deserves a lot of credit. He tweaked things tactically (switched to 4-2-3-1) to try and make England more effective in the final third and it worked brilliantly. Kane has been great since coming on, his link up play especially. He strikes me as quite an intelligent forward with a lot of positional awareness which bodes well for him and England as it means that even if he isn't scoring, he can still make things happen.

• Upvote 1