Football thread 2015/16 season.

Naysonymous

I don't think Di Maria wasn't sold for too much of a loss when you consider someone of United's fee would have been in add ons. Also, the thing with Woodward is that by the clubs nature, they are linked to every player. I mean there was a lot of paper talk about Otamendi but nothing concrete happened. Otamendi was another player there for the taking, having burnt his bridges at Valencia and a fee well within United's reach. I'm sure some of these 'missed targets' were never really on, for various reasons.

On Pedro: it seems unrealistic that he would have missed out on Pedro, over £3m, if the club really wanted him. There's something else behind the scenes that prevented the deal from happening, and probably out of Woodward's control.

Bit of drama at Celtic Park tonight. Celtic go 2-0 up in the first ten minutes. Malmö grab an away goal through Jo Inge Berget, who spent the first half of last season on loan at Celtic. Griffiths restores Celtic's advantage and then Berget grabs another in the fifth minute of injury time, making Celtic worse off than if they'd stayed at 2-1.

Ah, football.

Anyone seen the hilariously bad Shearer statue. The pose isn't even right.

Alan-Shearer-statue.jpg

If they were hoping to capture what Shearer was about - scoring goals and being a dirty bastard - then his goal celebration and sticking an elbow out encapsulates him perfectly in my opinion.

Don't recall him being a bit part player under Guardiola. Started to play a bit less when Alexis joined but still got plenty of games. It's only since Suarez arrived that he's been perma-benched, though some of that is down to diminished effectiveness in his game too.

What do you mean by 'not good enough' exactly? He would get in the current Manchester United team. Maybe he's not as good as some of the best strikers Utd have had in the last 20 years or so but as Pedro has shown in his career to date, he can be a valuable squad member at a club who are regularly winning trophies at the very highest level.

The handling of the Herrera signing was bizarre too. United didn't appear to have the most basic grasp on the legality of forcing a buyout clause in Spain. You'd think they'd have asked someone who knew a bit about how things work over there before blundering in and looking a bit silly.

correct me if i'm wrong but don't the buyout clauses work differently for foreign clubs?

they need to get the player to buy themselves out rather than just fronting up the cash, which is then complicated by tax. i'm not excusing them completely but it does sound like a real (expensive) headache if the player's club doesn't want to sell. i know that when Spurs signed Soldado a deal was done that 'matched' the buyout clause but didn't explicitly trigger it, Valencia just accepted an offer that was in the same ballpark. i anticipate that Chelsea have done the same for Pedro.

Don't recall him being a bit part player under Guardiola. Started to play a bit less when Alexis joined but still got plenty of games. It's only since Suarez arrived that he's been perma-benched, though some of that is down to diminished effectiveness in his game too.

He's sat behind Neymar, Suarez and Messi in the pecking order for a front three. I'm not sure anyone in the world can break up that trio.

Apart from Lukey Juke, obviously.

Hang on, the only person on here who's said Pedro isn't good enough for United is gooner4life, the guy who's avatar is an Arsenal shirt, and who's username proclaims him to be a gooner quite literally for life. Did you mistake him for a United fan?

As for the other missed targets, the general sentiment is disappointment to have missed out on Otamendi (if he ever was a genuine target) shrugs about Ramos as he was never realistically going to sign for United, and bemusement at Mane, which has come out of nowhere.

I don't know if there's a more comical reaction elsewhere on the internet. I try to avoid internet places outside of rllmuk where football fans gather as it makes me hate football, and humanity in general.

Hang on, the only person on here who's said Pedro isn't good enough for United is gooner4life, the guy who's avatar is an Arsenal shirt, and who's username proclaims him to be a gooner quite literally for life. Did you mistake him for a United fan?

Didn't say just on here. So no, I didn't mistake him for a United a fan. :blink:

As for the other missed targets, the general sentiment is disappointment to have missed out on Otamendi (if he ever was a genuine target) shrugs about Ramos as he was never realistically going to sign for United, and bemusement at Mane, which has come out of nowhere.

I don't know if there's a more comical reaction elsewhere on the internet. I try to avoid internet places outside of rllmuk where football fans gather as it makes me hate football, and humanity in general.

U OK hun?

What's going to happen though? Rogers will tell his players that the rule has changed and they'll all play onside from now on? Seems odd to release it to the press that they're talking to clubs...

It's just pandering to the masses. Letting all the irates know that they're doing something.

All the players were sat down at the start of the season to convey these rule changes. One of the Bournemouth players said on Sky after the game that they had a team in (who were going club by club) letting everyone know what was new for this season. So he couldn't understand why it was given considering the efforts they go to.

Yeah the rule change was communicated to everyone before the season started, otherwise there would have been no controversy about the goal, obviously.

I imagine this new communication to the clubs is to reassure them that allowing Benteke's goal was a mistake by the officials and didn't represent the rules changing back or something.