rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Naysonymous

Football thread 2015/16 season.

6 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Yeah it had nothing to do with the fact the team didn't play in the second half at all.

It all can be boiled down to the fact that a striker reacted to a clear cut chance in front of goal to try and score. It had nothing to do with Coutinho, Lallana or Morenho and plenty of others completely bottled it.

I've already said they were fantastic in the second half but if they go in 2-0 down its a completely different game. Maybe I chose the wrong wording there but it certainly didn't help us. Who knows, they may have come out and done the same, but the mentality of being 2-0 down is completly different than being 1-0 down.

He's got eyes, he must have known he was offside, especially from where he was stood, it was obvious.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

He was about half a yard offside thanks to a full back pushing up. If he wasn't there at all, the keeper makes an easy save. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

Exactly.

Cant believe liverpool didnt win... listening to ex players coming out of the woodwork and scouse loving media all week it seemed as though liverpool only had to turn up tonight to win it, including the clowns on talksport this evening saying liverpool will win this 4-0 or 4-1

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

Guys, Sevilla have won this cup three times in a row. THREE TIMES. Let's not take anything away from them by saying how shit Liverpool were in the second half. 

• Upvote 2

Its a bloody fantastic achievement but also highlights the bs that CL failures get the rub of the green. They failed in the CL twice in a row but used their superiority to just go on and win the EL.

This isn't a bitter post, they completely out played us in the second half and deserved to win, it's just in generally it's proper shit the CL failures get another chance at more money and glory.

• Upvote 1

I didn't notice this last night but watching a replay of Sevilla's third you can see Clyne nick the ball to Coutinho who boots it straight to Coke... and Coutinho then raises his arm to claim offside the cheeky fucker :lol: 

4 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

They only dropped in from the CL this season. The other two wins were pure, untainted.

There's also the fact they were only in the CL because of the new rule that gives Europa League holders a spot.

• Upvote 1

Life being what it is, a news article on the B-52 crashing on takeoff in Guam led me to review their Asian Cup qualification status. Those qualifiers get underway again in two weeks, not involving Guam because they've been good enough to go straight to the group stage of the qualifiers. 

Anyway, perusing the Wiki article I came across the lovely note here.

FIFA awarded Iran a 3–0 win as a result of India fielding the ineligible player Eugeneson Lyngdoh. The match initially ended 3–0 to Iran

Great work, FIFA!

• Upvote 5

There's a proposed shake up to the Football League which would change it to 4 divisions of 20 teams each.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/19/football-league-shakeup-four-divisions-extra-teams

The Football League has proposed a radical shakeup to reduce fixture congestion that will increase the number of clubs from 72 to 80 and potentially open the door for a winter break and an end to FA Cup replays.

The plans, which would come into force from 2019-20, would see the Football League reorganised from three divisions into four divisions of 20 teams. The proposals have emerged from discussions between the Football League, Premier League and Football Association over how to solve fixture congestion.

The proposed changes, decided by the Football League board and agreed in principle by executives at the FA and the Premier League, will be discussed by the existing 72 clubs at their summer meeting next month.

There's a wonderfully hyperbolic quote in the BBC from the Accrington chairman saying that having "only" 20 home games a season would mean it's "hardly worth having a stadium" :lol::lol::lol:

• Upvote 1

No mention of how promotion and relegation would work to organise this. How do they remove 4 teams from the Championship while also reducing the leagues below?

No promotion from League One down and 4 teams relegated from each division??

Its going to hit revenue for clubs.

With this and Qatar messing everything up it may be a while until we get a 'normal' season again.

9 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

No mention of how promotion and relegation would work to organise this. How do they remove 4 teams from the Championship while also reducing the leagues below?

No promotion from League One down and 4 teams relegated from each division??

Its going to hit revenue for clubs.

With this and Qatar messing everything up it may be a while until we get a 'normal' season again.

No promotion from League One down, what would be the point of those teams continuing? Nothing to play for, no dreams of reaching the Premiership.

3 minutes ago, MrCarrot said:

I don't think Ork meant no promotion ever, but in the season before the change would brought in.

Yes, that's what I meant, but that one season would be pointless - once a team is safe from relegation then its season over. You'd almost see teams not even trying to finish top once they were safe as who wants to win the league the year it means nothing,

So there would have to be at least one promotion spot?, but then you have to relegate 5 teams from the Championship to get down to 20.

Interesting that the Premier League has agreed it in principle - whats it got to do with them really unless this is part of a larger plan such as B teams or mid-week FA Cup games, etc. Actually its probably the latter - "we've listened to the fans that like mid-week games so we've moved the FA Cup to midweek".

Fixture congestion doesn't really exist in the FL except when a team goes on an FA Cup run or where lower league teams are more vulnerable to weather postponements so if this is to reduce congestion I assume that's congestion for poor little Man U and Arsenal rather than Accrington and Wimbledon.

It's bollocks. The FA need to be seen to be doing something. 

The Accrington quote isn't quite as 'hyperbolic' when you consider their average home attendance is just over a 1000 for most games. Losing the revenue of just three games would make a difference. No cup replays will also hurt lower league clubs. A fair amount have had televised replays or replays at Premier League grounds and that can pay for the club to run for four or five months. 

The FA should be looking at lower league clubs scrapping their academies or being unable to fund reserve teams or even selling off their training grounds.

Are there any Wednesday fans here who have supporter / owls ids who aren't able to make the play offs? I only have one ID and don't fancy going on my own -would appreciate it if someone could give me theirs!

Thanks

From a sporting perspective, I favour any move away from these nebulous 24-team divisions where a large number of teams spend their season in a state of mere existence. But if the FA, Football League and anyone else involved can't provide a written and outlined guarantee that an increase in provided funds and trickling down TV money from the Premier League will be provided to make up the shortfall that comes with a loss of four home games, including the effect this has on club support staff, then they can stick it alongside any plans to scrap FA Cup replays.

They shouldn't have trouble locating it, it's where the 39th game sits.

• Upvote 3

To be fair, United fans have to take what they can get these days. Liverpool losing, brief moments every month or two of something approximating interesting football, Jose Mourinho being spotted wearing a red hat, whatever really.

12 hours ago, paddyo said:

FB_IMG_1463698251291.jpg

Yeah it's almost like you have to plan trophy parades in advance and you can't just decide to close a load of streets on the day.