IGNORED

Xbox One backwards compatibility - sales until the heat death of the universe

20 minutes ago, JohnnyRyall said:

The big price drop on the Xbox One Elite bundles today has me tempted to buy one, largely for backwards compatibility.

Am I right in thinking that most games run better on Xbox One than on the original hardware? Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are the main ones I'm interested in, and I'm not sure if I wouldn't be better off just buying a 2nd hand 360 rather than playing them on the Xbox One. Are Lost Odyssey's infamous loading times improved?

Backwards compatibility was initially terrible but they've updated it frequently and now a large number of games work even better on Xbox One than they do on the original hardware. It'll probably continue to get even better. 

Getting the Mass Effect trilogy on there is pretty big for me. If they can get a few more of the titles I'm really into - namely Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising - then I can pretty much offload my original 360. 

16 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Backwards compatibility was initially terrible but they've updated it frequently and now a large number of games work even better on Xbox One than they do on the original hardware. It'll probably continue to get even better. 

Getting the Mass Effect trilogy on there is pretty big for me. If they can get a few more of the titles I'm really into - namely Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising - then I can pretty much offload my original 360. 

Terrible is very  harsh, a few games had serious issues but mostly it was a very good service with a small number of games suffering badly but most getting close to 360 performance.

See the digital foundry article which has had several updates but scroll down and you'll see how initial findings were

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-vs-xbox-one-backward-compatibility

Right so Mass Effect, I've started the first one and not hugely impressed so far.

The gunplay isn't good and the menu systems are confusing. I've only done the first mission but not feeling it at the moment. Feel like I'm missing out because of the love it gets here.

It's a 9 year old game, dude. And one that had slightly iffy mechanics at the time. The story more than makes up for it and it can be a lot of fun when it opens up. 2 is also probably my favourite game of all time, and a lot of that is to do with it carrying on the story from 1 with my choices, so stick with it!

44 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Well, they're not noticeably long.

When the game first came out you couldn't even install games to the HDD and the loading times were atrocious, made even worse by having to load for every random combat even if you were just planning to run away from it; now you can install or play from the BC image they aren't much of an issue.

Mass Effect 1 was never a great shooter, and it was only the space opera story that carried it. The sequel refines the combat into something fun, and has one of the best groups of squadmates a commander could possibly wish for.

For the first game, I'd just run through the main story (it's about ten hours) and do side missions only if you're feeling it. That said, there may be one or two that pay off in the later games, but nothing major.

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Right so Mass Effect, I've started the first one and not hugely impressed so far.

The gunplay isn't good and the menu systems are confusing. I've only done the first mission but not feeling it at the moment. Feel like I'm missing out because of the love it gets here.

The gunplay in ME1 isn't great, it's much much better in 2, significantly. I suggest you stick it on Casual difficulty, breeze through the combat stages, play for the story, then get on ME2 asap with your current character.

25 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It's an old game as people mentioned, and its a stepping stone for a developer who used to make games based on D&D turn-based rules. 

The Gunplay is kinda janky and the inventory management is so very bad, but stick with it! It's all about the story, dialog trees and decision making. It's amazing. 

I'd also go with the analogy that ME1 is like a TV pilot. The game's quite short and to the point with ME2 being the full big-budget TV Season. Everything is better in ME2.

21 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

It's a 9 year old game, dude. And one that had slightly iffy mechanics at the time. The story more than makes up for it and it can be a lot of fun when it opens up. 2 is also probably my favourite game of all time, and a lot of that is to do with it carrying on the story from 1 with my choices, so stick with it!

18 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Mass Effect 1 was never a great shooter, and it was only the space opera story that carried it. The sequel refines the combat into something fun, and has one of the best groups of squadmates a commander could possibly wish for.

For the first game, I'd just run through the main story (it's about ten hours) and do side missions only if you're feeling it. That said, there may be one or two that pay off in the later games, but nothing major.

17 minutes ago, Vimster said:

The gunplay in ME1 isn't great, it's much much better in 2, significantly. I suggest you stick it on Casual difficulty, breeze through the combat stages, play for the story, then get on ME2 asap with your current character.

12 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It's an old game as people mentioned, and its a stepping stone for a developer who used to make games based on D&D turn-based rules. 

The Gunplay is kinda janky and the inventory management is so very bad, but stick with it! It's all about the story, dialog trees and decision making. It's amazing. 

I'd also go with the analogy that ME1 is like a TV pilot. The game's quite short and too the point with ME2 being the full big-budget TV Season. Everything is better in ME2.

3 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Apart from the story and ending. I prefer the first Mass Effect because the last hour or so is up there with my favourite moments in gaming.

OK you've all convinced me to carry on, despite those cumbersome menus :)

I wanted to love the Mass Effect games so badly but the aforementioned janky gunplay was always a blocker for me. 

I am interested in the new one though because I love the worlds they build and the ideas in them. Great music and characters too. 

I'm only really recently starting to enjoy these more open world style games. GTAV was probably the first one I ever actually finished and Dying Light is one of my favourite games ever. 

Is the new Mass Effect a new story arc? 

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Backwards compatibility was initially terrible

What you on about? Halo reach & one of the gears of war games had framerate & texture issues. Pretty much everything else has been fine.

Just now, King A said:

What you on about? Halo reach & one of the gears of war games had framerate & texture issues. Pretty much everything else has been fine.

Yeah, Halo Reach and Gears 3 were the first Xbox One games I tries via BC, as well as Banjo Nuts n Bolts and Mass Effect 1. I would most definitely describe that experience as terrible. It was terrible with awful frame-rates and massive controller latency. 

As mentioned, things have improved dramatically and all these games now appear to run as good if not better than on the 360. So hooray! BC games all round! 

Just now, Kevvy Metal said:

Yeah, Halo Reach and Gears 3 were the first Xbox One games I tries via BC, as well as Banjo Nuts n Bolts and Mass Effect 1. I would most definitely describe that experience as terrible. It was terrible with awful frame-rates and massive controller latency.

For those games maybe, but for BC as a whole it has never been terrible.

8 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

As mentioned, things have improved dramatically and all these games now appear to run as good if not better than on the 360. So hooray! BC games all round! 

However, they've been updated considerably. Halo Reach in particular is now supposed to be spot on and running better than on 360. My recent playthrough of Gears 3 was absolutely fine too :)

31 minutes ago, nakamura said:

I wanted to love the Mass Effect games so badly but the aforementioned janky gunplay was always a blocker for me. 

I am interested in the new one though because I love the worlds they build and the ideas in them. Great music and characters too. 

I'm only really recently starting to enjoy these more open world style games. GTAV was probably the first one I ever actually finished and Dying Light is one of my favourite games ever. 

Is the new Mass Effect a new story arc? 

Have you only ever tried Mass Effect 1?

You could get the first Genesis DLC, and use that to make the major story decisions for the first game, then just jump to number 2 with its vastly superior combat.

The new game is a new story with new characters.

1 hour ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

Have you only ever tried Mass Effect 1?

You could get the first Genesis DLC, and use that to make the major story decisions for the first game, then just jump to number 2 with its vastly superior combat.

The new game is a new story with new characters.

Only no 2. It just didn't grab me gameplay wise. 

1 hour ago, TheShend said:

Can you simultaneously play using the same account on 360 and the One?

I'd like to keep using my 360 for 3rd Strike at the same time as having a bone in use for the Mrs with netflix and shiz.

Yes!

I could've sworn I owned Guardian Heroes but it's only £3.39 so bought.

• TehStu changed the title to Xbox One backwards compatibility - sales until the heat death of the universe