Xbox One backwards compatibility - sales until the heat death of the universe

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

That looks great, like a jazzed up Desert Strike. Want!

If we buy it from here will lit work on the Series X?

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/Thunder-Wolves/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584113f5

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

i tried clicking on that earlier on my desktop and nothing happens, on my phone it just hangs and if I search for the game on the store on the console nothing comes up at all.

Apologies guys. Turns out it's not backwards compatible after all :(. Completely my bad TBH, it was the one arcade game in the list that did actually say "Arcade" and not "Backwards Compatible" like the others but I chopped that text out when I pasted it into the post as it was a bit all over the place. I'll take it off the list straight away. 

Naturally if you've still got a 360 you can buy and play it on that. 

29 minutes ago, K said:

and it's fascinating to go back to an era where developers were still trying to settle on how to control third person games. Like, right trigger is sprint for some mad reason.

Right-trigger sprint was used as recently as Watch Dogs Legion!

CEX have just refunded me because the RR6 wasn't 'in saleable condition'. I was going to post this thought earlier but deleted it, but basically from my time in the retail salt mines I remember launch/early Xbox 360 games starting to perish really early. The hole in the middle would crack and crumble, and that was ten years ago. Christ knows what they're like now.

1 minute ago, K said:

Bizarre. I guess they're downplaying the use of guns given that it's based in the UK?

RT shoots while you're aiming but sprints when you're not. All the WD game have used that system by default I think. I believe the last Splinter Cell did too (they control very similarly). It actually works pretty well for games that don't allow hipfire, but saying that I do prefer it when games stick to established standards so I can flit between them. It's one of the hardest things about going back to old games. Splinter Cell Conviction's controls are truly bizarre. Click the right stick to reload, pull the right trigger to do the splits or something.

It’s doubled in price since last night - luckily I picked mine up today and it’s in decent condition (along with max Payne 3 and binary domain). 
 You’d think I had nothing else to play without picking up stuff I completed years ago :)

7 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

What's better out of Timesplitters 2 and 3? I only ever played the first two back in the day, curiously I think I preferred the first one but that was only on PS2 anyway.

I preferred 2 (which wasn’t working for me last night :( ) 3 had moments but think things had moved on by the time it came out - the vehicle bits in particular felt shonky after driving the Warthog…

3 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

I’d have liked to see Renegade Ops added to the list, is there any thing similar on current/last gen?

Not much help but it is available through PSNOW. 

It seemed a bit blurry when I tried it, hard to know if that was how the original played or is just a consequence of Sony's streaming tech. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

CEX have just refunded me because the RR6 wasn't 'in saleable condition'. I was going to post this thought earlier but deleted it, but basically from my time in the retail salt mines I remember launch/early Xbox 360 games starting to perish really early. The hole in the middle would crack and crumble, and that was ten years ago. Christ knows what they're like now.

Staff member kept it for themselves 

After spending literally hours on the PSP Ridge Racers 2 on Xbox Series via emulation, the thought of playing RR6 again really fires me up, despite it being 60fps and 1080p all along anyway.  I'm now thinking it falls to the community to examine these games and create a Xbox OG and 360 emulator for the remaining games.  

But however it happens, I'd guess that there will be 100% Xbox emulation soon.  And that will reinforce my opinion that Microsoft are winning this generation by a mile.  

3 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Couldn't resist, bought Timesplitters 2. It still looks surprisingly decent, really nice clear art style that goes well with its low-poly models. The exaggerated reactions when your enemies get shot may be straight out of Goldeneye but they're still really characterful even after all this time.

My lord the controls are twitchy though. It took me an embarrassingly long time to shoot a single security camera. And there don't appear to be any sensitivity options in the menus. I need a Duke controller!

Yeah I was shocked on TS3, was aiming all over the place!

42 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Is the 50 Cent game good?

Well, yes and no. It's a very decent and very playable okay 3rd person shooter with Gears influences and 2 player co-op as an option. What elevates it for me is the incredible ridiculous story and concept. From memory, 50 is performing in the Middle East but the organizers have no money so they give him a diamond encrusted skull instead. Skull gets stolen, cue 50 giving chase shouting "give me back my skull!" and rampaging through various levels while his AI G-Unit buddies curse up a storm all the way through. It's an acquired taste.

5 hours ago, amorenod said:

Oh, oh, oh, OMFG!!! It doesn't have an inverted camera option, which drives me mad, but I should be able to do that at OS level in the Series X. Is it seven o'clock yet?

🤯🤯🤯

Now I remember. The problem with Otogi was the camera X-axis, which worked like in Super Mario 64, ie, stick to the right, look to the left.

There's no option to invert the X-axis in the pad accessibility menu, only the Y-axis on both sticks.

Fuck.

I honestly think that part of the reason Blood on the Sand is successful — i.e. that it isn't a bland nothing of a licensed game but actually goes for its own unique flavour — is that 50 Cent was evidently invested in the development of the game; as was his son. Whimsical stakeholders might not always lead to good games, but they at least increase the likelihood of something interesting being produced!

10 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

What's better out of Timesplitters 2 and 3? I only ever played the first two back in the day, curiously I think I preferred the first one but that was only on PS2 anyway.

Future Perfect:

* Option to fix the reticule in the centre when precision aiming, instead of it waggling about like in GE/PD.

* Much better story mode. TS2 has that great first level and then not much else.

* It's funnier.

* Better challenge missions (though nothing to match TS2's glass smash challenges).

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand was developed by Swordfish, who were pretty good and had previously done Cold Winter - another UK-developed game that wasn’t perfect but felt like it was punching above its weight. It’s a shame they didn’t do much else after that, as I thought they were a developer with at least one more really good game in them. 

4 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

with a headset it's incredible. Cox right in your ear telling you to do terrible things. Whistling to attract baddies and then murdering them with a broken bottle to the neck, or a cock in the ear.

It really was beautiful with a headset. So exciting and taboo at the time. It really felt like you were participating in something forbidden and sleazy, the ultimate video nasty. Easily one of my top five games of all time, top three even.

The pacing was something else. It held back from giving you a gun for a long time, and when it did eventually give you a handgun it was a  momentous moment that completely changed the game. Suddenly you had power, it made you feel vengeful and cold. The cover mechanic was introduced and you were suddenly playing a quite different game. The soundtrack, bleak, sordid visuals and whole Escape from New York gone wrong vibe were so perfectly judged.

An absolute masterpiece that Rockstar never came close to again. Everyone should replay it.

manhunt.gif