Xbox One backwards compatibility - sales until the heat death of the universe

33 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Fixed that for you. 

How dare you say that. I am sure I'll get at least an hour in before the little nostalgia I have for the game wears off and I realise that it was only ever average at best, and I'm not willing to stick 79 hours into a genre I don't often dabble in and in which I'd be better served playing FF12 or DQ11 on Gamepass. How dare you! 

10 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Ah that's a shame. Never needed to change that axis myself. I did look online and it seems it has been suggested to Microsoft as an option as far back as 2015 but I guess they ignored the requests :/ 

I realise I said "z-axis" which suggests Conker was a revolutionary title that somehow extended from the TV directly into my brain. 

I could probably push through and try and erase my muscle memory, but in another reckless move, I just went and paid a tenner for the Xbox remake which I seem to remember being quite good. A quick player does suggest it doesn't have the nostalgic charm of the N64 version - the graphics are quite nice still, but it's the colour palette and expressions - but obviously quite a lot of jumps towards modernity were done between 2001 and 2005. 

It's sort of like how we could time travel back to Shakespeare's time and have our modern English be understood still. But go back further and you're going to get lynched for speaking in tongues. The N64 games often are quite painful nowadays whereas I find GC and Xbox stuff pretty playable. 

1 hour ago, AK Bell said:

I think it's unfair to say they can't be bothered. There have been rumours flying around for a while that they've tried or are trying, with reports of them putting job adverts up asking for people who do emulation. 

I just think the PS3 is such an odd duck it'll defy emulation for a long while. Certainly on consoles. There have been some amateur efforts with some progress on PC in a handful of games. But I think the only thing you can do is force it by brute force and hope there is enough power in the PC. So good luck getting that to play nice. 

You can play PS3 on PS Now? They've had to go really sideways to do it. 

"Can't be bothered" is admittedly a strong way of putting it. The way Microsoft is doing BC as far as I'm concerned is a game changer, bringing over all the advantages of emulation on PC, but legal and with zero hassle. Games looking and running as if they were a full price, high quality remaster, but not at the cost of those cash-in remasters, and oftentimes looking a lot better than those proper remasters. But it's probably a costly way of doing it, requiring a lot of time and money to get it to that level. I think that Microsoft set out to do it this way because long term they had game pass in mind (it's a perfect way to build up a library), and looking further ahead they had cloud gaming in mind (again, library), and it was probably also a perfect way to win back some goodwill after the Xbone pr-disaster. Doing something the competition was not. And what they have achieved is nothing short of miraculous, and I suspect also thanks to their in-house expertise on all things virtual machine.

"Sony can't be bothered" is my way of thinking that they have a different strategy in mind - one that doesn't involve a game pass equivalent or the cloud *primarily* - or at the very least it wasn't what they were aiming for long-term during the previous gen where the traditional console model worked out fantastic for them. So I think, based on nothing but conjecture, that they have very little reason to do something similar, to invest that much time and money. The PlayStation is hugely successful, their cinematic AAA experiences sell gangbusters, and I suspect they don't have the same expertise in this area as Microsoft, maker of Windows. And for Sony it's probably more profitable and sensible to remake or remaster a few select titles and have those sell a lot. Look at Demon's Souls, which is widely seen as a "PS5 new gen exclusive", both a win in terms of sales and also pr.

I do think it would be possible in theory because hobbyists have come a long way emulating the esoteric PS3 on Windows. Don't forget that unlike those hobbyists, Sony actually has access to all of the code, all of the documentation, and probably also all of the people who worked on that hardware.

I still have my original Xbox - in a cupboard for about 14 years - and a modest collection of the games on disc. I'm frustrated that I have no way to hook it up and play on it, because none of the TVs or monitors in my house has older TV inputs, just HDMI.

I did some research into solutions but they are either crap or expensive. On the crap end, there's a bunch of HDMI converters in the £30 range, but nobody ever reports good quality from them. On the other end, there are line doublers and converters like the OSSC for £150 or the Framemeister for £400. That's specialty stuff for people with full retro setups.

I'm happy with software emulation for everything before the PS2/Xbox era, and everything after the PS2/Xbox has HDMI... it's just that tricky generation.

On 10/02/2021 at 09:40, AK Bell said:

I think it's unfair to say they can't be bothered. There have been rumours flying around for a while that they've tried or are trying, with reports of them putting job adverts up asking for people who do emulation. 

I just think the PS3 is such an odd duck it'll defy emulation for a long while. Certainly on consoles. There have been some amateur efforts with some progress on PC in a handful of games. But I think the only thing you can do is force it by brute force and hope there is enough power in the PC. So good luck getting that to play nice. 

You can play PS3 on PS Now? They've had to go really sideways to do it. 

I just bought Blue Dragon and know full well I'll never get around to it. But I was voting with my wallet. Can I had more BC please, Microsoft? 

I believe the main issue with PS3 emulation is that the SPEs had single thread performance that is fast for the number crushing they did even by modern standards, so I'm not sure if the CPUs in even the PS5 and Xbox Series X have enough grunt for games where they were put to heavy use. That's on top of a weird, very parallel architecture. 

RPCS3 has something like 60% of games playable, so Sony could probably come up with something though. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/02/2021 at 01:06, kensei said:

I believe the main issue with PS3 emulation is that the SPEs had single thread performance that is fast for the number crushing they did even by modern standards, so I'm not sure if the CPUs in even the PS5 and Xbox Series X have enough grunt for games where they were put to heavy use. That's on top of a weird, very parallel architecture. 

RPCS3 has something like 60% of games playable, so Sony could probably come up with something though. 

MVG did a great video on just what a pain the PS3 is to emulate.

On 12/02/2021 at 01:06, kensei said:

It does, but playable at full speed on anything less than layton's rig? Probably fewer.

Stardust HD is perfect on it though so I barely care.

• 6 months later...

I've been burned by this sort of thing before, but the proximity to the 20th anniversary thing on the 15th does give me hope. I would LOVE to play through Max Payne 2 & 3 again; I played MP2 endlessly on the original Xbox and did the same with MP3, but can't get MP2 to run on Wine on my Mac, and can't run MP3 either.

I uploaded my Tenchu Z save into the cloud ages ago. My precious save, with only ONE achievement left to achieve 1000/1000 is waiting impatiently for the day I can finally 100% that game. I'm not asking for Tenchu Z for the sake of it, I'm actually going to play it for real. 

Please Uncle Phil :(

In all seriousness, it's way too soon for such drastic measures. Except for obvious license issues like with Outrun 2 and PGR, all of those games you traded in could still come to BC. While the PS3 are guaranteed to never be BC unless you're inserting them into a PC. Hope springs eternal!

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

In all seriousness, it's way too soon for such drastic measures. Except for obvious license issues like with Outrun 2 and PGR, all of those games you traded in could still come to BC. While the PS3 are guaranteed to never be BC unless you're inserting them into a PC. Hope springs eternal!

I should have been clearer due to BC on the Xbox One and being able to play the majority of games I owned for the 360 via BC, I sold the 360 and kept the PS3. I then didn't see the point of holding onto games that I couldn't play, so they were sold.

My big ones before I can get rid of my 360 are:

Afterburner

Outrun Arcade

Rez HD

Ridge Racer 6

Street Fighter 3 

Outrun Arcade

Would love a chance to buy digitally:

Sega Rally

Daytona USA

JSR+F 

MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2

There‘s also weird stuff like Fez which doesn’t seem to have much reason for not being there, but I’m less bothered about those.

1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:

My big ones before I can get rid of my 360 are:

Afterburner

Outrun Arcade

Rez HD

Ridge Racer 6

Street Fighter 3 

Puzzle Fighter HD

Outrun Arcade

Would love a chance to buy digitally:

Sega Rally

Daytona USA

JSR+F 

There‘s also weird stuff like the Trials games and Fez which doesn’t seem to have much reason for not being there, but I’m less bothered about those.

Forgot about all the Capcom games, darkstalkers and marvel collections especially.