IGNORED

Xbox One backwards compatibility - Lots of new releases!

An understandable error given how ridiculously good it looks, but Kayin is showing off DOA3 there, and I'm pretty sure that game wasn't held back by netcode, seeing as it had no online multiplayer at all!

I have disc versions of DOAs 1-4, so my main problem right now is deciding which to play. 2 was my true love, but I played it to death on DC. Three I liked a lot (and looks astonishing), but I remember being disappointed by the lack of stuff to unlock. And 4 never really made an impression, but that makes me curious to retry it. And 1 was never more than a curio to me. Hmm.

5 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

That’s older than most of the characters in it!

Arf arf!

Spoiler

If I'm being a boring pedantic so and so though, only the least interesting characters* in Doa 3 are under 20 to appease weird Japanese otaku / weeb tastes. Tina, Christie, Helena and every male character are over 20. 

*Hitomi's okay, actually.

3 hours ago, Wiper said:

An understandable error given how ridiculously good it looks, but Kayin is showing off DOA3 there, and I'm pretty sure that game wasn't held back by netcode, seeing as it had no online multiplayer at all!

I have disc versions of DOAs 1-4, so my main problem right now is deciding which to play. 2 was my true love, but I played it to death on DC. Three I liked a lot (and looks astonishing), but I remember being disappointed by the lack of stuff to unlock. And 4 never really made an impression, but that makes me curious to retry it. And 1 was never more than a curio to me. Hmm.

2 was the breakout, so I've extremely fond memories of it. 2U still looks amazing, and despite the simplified combat and excessive counter damage it's a lot of fun to play. Doesn't have Christie in it though.

4's probably the one I remember most at this point. A really cool combo system, excellent stages, some insane stage dynamics such as tables, slopes and moving cars... ah, it was a good one. AI was a bit too switched on though, perfecting opponents is really tough.

I actually liked Doa 5U as well for Rachel being added - she became my new main. Stages were less interesting than the Itagaki era though, it was stuffed with microtransactions, and beyond that was the dark ages where they started putting characters who looked about ten years old into it. I noped out very hard at that point. I've got some residual anger about it every time I think of the series now.

I'll post some videos of my recent BC trip down memory lane here.

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Just played through to the Big O on the updated to 60fps Alan Wake. I remember it looking quite awful when it first came to BC but they've done something else to it. Maybe it's the auto HDR but they seem to have upped the detail somewhat as well because it didn't look half as bad as I recall. 

You’re not playing the remaster by mistake are you?

2 minutes ago, smac said:

Dumb question about 360BC - if you have the disc version, can you just stick your 360 disc in and play? Or do you need to dl a patched/specially prepared BC version as well/instead?

The Disc simply acts as a key to basically say to the server that you own the game, then it downloads the entire game. Absolutely no data on the disc is used. 

In order to get BC working on the One/Series consoles, the entire game needed to be recompiled and repackaged for x86 and tested again. Quite a lot of effort has been put in. 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The Disc simply acts as a key to basically say to the server that you own the game, then it downloads the entire game. Absolutely no data on the disc is used. 

In order to get BC working on the One/Series consoles, the entire game needed to be recompiled and repackaged for x86 and tested again. Quite a lot of effort has been put in. 

To be 100% pedantic, it does read the disk ID at least but so long as it finds out what the disc is supposed to be it's gonna work.

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

360 games aren't that big.

About 9.5 hours for the OP's internet. So overnight will do it.

I think I've changed my mind about this whole backwards compatibility thing; having spent the last couple of evenings doing a runthrough of Binary Domain, I now believe they're a blight and a scourge. One shouldn't have to play through a game they loved nine years ago and realise that, on reflection, with rose-tinted glasses removed, it is, in fact, the high watermark for third person shooters and nothing since has come close.

What a fucking game. And we're never, ever getting a sequel :(

I'm going to do another playthrough of Binary Domain pretty soon too. I kinda still hope we get a sequel maybe perhaps. Maybe I dunno if Microsoft wants to finance a cult fan favourite or something.

Right after they buy Crystal Dynamics from Squeenix alongside the Kain ip, and set them to work on a reboot :(

It's very weird going back to Max Payne 2 after just replaying Max Payne 3. Probably not a completely fair comparison given that MP3 out nine years and an entire hardware generation later, was in development for about five years, and supposedly cost over $100m to develop, but it does feel strange going back to the camp noir of MP2 after the utter nihilism of the third game. Like, the gangsters in MP2 are all like "eyyyyyy, look at me, I'm a gangster, I'm a gangster! Forgeddaboutit! Stick it up ya ass, ya fuckin cannoli!" and the goons in MP3 just tend to shoot women in the head at point blank range.

The actual game bit is a huge step back too, what with Max's completely digital movement -  he can only walk in eight directions, at one speed - and the lack of any tangible feedback to bullet hits. That's probably an unfair comparison too given that real bullet hits probably feel less harrowing than the ones in Max Payne 3, but it's hard to deny that the second game has aged a lot. It's still good fun though - I played this game such a ludicrous amount on first release that it feels embedded in my deep consciousness, so that while I can't actually remember any of it, it all feels deeply, reassuringly familiar.

Looks great in widescreen mind ! I just wish you could disable that sepia filter when you engage manual bullet time. 

It's important to remember the console versions couldn't touch the PC original, even the Xbox port was quite a way off, though it still looks really good and lightyears ahead of the PS2 version.

150664-Max_Payne_2_-_The_Fall_of_Max_Pay

Woof !

That's worth bearing in mind controls-wise as much as anything; Max Payne 1 & 2 hold up very well for me,* but specifically only in their PC incarnations; they're entirely designed around mouse and keyboard control (hence the digital movement), and never felt right to me on console at all.

* as shooters; as stories, less so. Though at least they don't let their story get in the way of things even a tenth as much as Max Payne 3, which instead approaches Hideo Kojima levels of self-indulgently intrusive cutscenes, albeit for ultraviolent neo-noir rather than indescribably convoluted pop psychology.

I'm still hoping for SSX Tricky some day. I guess I will have to wait for the 30th anniversary. SSX3 is very good but SSX Tricky is my nostalgia sweet spot. I assume the issue is due to licensing. As long as my old xbox still works I will keep it out just for this.

17 hours ago, Wiper said:

That's worth bearing in mind controls-wise as much as anything; Max Payne 1 & 2 hold up very well for me,* but specifically only in their PC incarnations; they're entirely designed around mouse and keyboard control (hence the digital movement), and never felt right to me on console at all.

* as shooters; as stories, less so. Though at least they don't let their story get in the way of things even a tenth as much as Max Payne 3, which instead approaches Hideo Kojima levels of self-indulgently intrusive cutscenes, albeit for ultraviolent neo-noir rather than indescribably convoluted pop psychology.

5vcq92.jpg

Always felt like playing Max Payne 1&2 on a console was a crime 🤣 The joy and fluidity came from the speed of moving that cursor and clicking like a maniac, you needed ninja reflexes to do it right. But the satisfaction when you flew through a room blasting rounds into mob guys heads was glorious. Never played anything like it since.

Picked up Ridge Racer 6 and Raiden IV from the US Xbox store, simply turned the region to US to run them on my UK Series X. Both are lovely, but a real shame they’re not available on the UK store. Was also a bit gutted that F.E.A.R. and King Kong are not available digitally…. Oh well, can’t have everything, I suppose.

I've always assumed that I need the original X360 game inserted in my new Xbox to be able to play but I've found out that's not always the case. Most games will ask me to insert the game disc but with Crackdown 2, Brutal Legend and a third one I can't remember the name of has been added to my games collection and can be downloaded and played without using the disc. 
I thought this was a bug but I've tried it on my old One S as well, and even though I used the disc on the Series X initially, I could download and play Crackdown 2 on the One S without the disc. 

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

I've always assumed that I need the original X360 game inserted in my new Xbox to be able to play but I've found out that's not always the case. Most games will ask me to insert the game disc but with Crackdown 2, Brutal Legend and a third one I can't remember the name of has been added to my games collection and can be downloaded and played without using the disc. 
I thought this was a bug but I've tried it on my old One S as well, and even though I used the disc on the Series X initially, I could download and play Crackdown 2 on the One S without the disc. 

Both Crackdown 360 games are free on the Xbox Store as is Too Human (if you can be bothered with it).