rllmuk
Gizamaluke

Xbox One backwards compatibility - It's finished. No more releases.

3 hours ago, Camel said:

strange one is 2600 games on the Colecovision via an official Coleco module.

I had a Coleco and forgot about that module. Although it was essentially like plugging in a 2600, so I'm not sure what you're saving. Maybe a single RF cable to your TV was the height of convenience back then.

Picked up the first 3 Splinter Cells for OG Xbox on ebay and had a quick go on Splinter Cell and realised it had no invert y option - thank god for the accessories app!

• Upvote 1

Played through Gears 2 for the first time over the weekend and was surprised by how good it looks (enhanced for One X) and also how well it plays. A perfect weekend rollercoaster game, I finished it on Normal difficulty in around 12 hours I think.

Really loved the underground Locust city, there is a great sense of scale to the architecture and the amount of troops going about their business. The only thing I would mention is the camera shake when you are roadie running was really pronounced here, it made me a little bit nauseous at times and not something Ive had a problem with in Gears 4 and 5.

Spoiler

7-29-2019_4-08-21_PM-abiykqvf.thumb.jpg.990b4407aaf7e94eae5ce29e02136581.jpg

7-29-2019_4-08-38_PM-xmy41lsq.thumb.jpg.1a9e4b335a6cefb2f68296b09c5ddc7c.jpg

7-29-2019_4-09-10_PM-y4pu1qan.thumb.jpg.eb1a3ff5a9f17a241389686b9b211acb.jpg

7-29-2019_4-08-12_PM-qasgqcu2.thumb.jpg.18b5c000eea5be2bd1d5461dbdc193c8.jpg

• Upvote 1

I unashamedly love Gears but 1 and 2 feel very po faced compared to the later ones, and very brown. 2 does look very nice on X though, you're right.

Also, Cole Train <3

Edit: as po faced as games about underground demon monsters fighting muscle-bound psychopaths with chainsaw guns can be, obviously.

• Upvote 2

Yep I was gonna say that too, it looks very brown most of the time. Or very blue ice / green ooze in other areas. Enemies are hard to see sometimes against the background. But it looks very nice in motion though, lots of stuff going on.

Another weekend, another Gears game on BC :) This time #3 and with that Ive played through the original Gears trilogy by Epic. Absolutely loved every moment of all of them, although 3 was sometimes too busy for its own good, where 1 and 2 were a bit slower and exploring which helped to create some tension for the blowout moments. I substituted the original Gears 1 on BC for the updated 2016 version by The Coalition. A couple of things I liked about the 2016 Gears 1 is that it felt a bit darker in graphical tone, and Marcus really feels like controlling a space hulk wearing 200 pounds of armor. *Thud thud thud* down the hall. Which fits nicely with the Gears games being inspired in some way by the Resident Evils, and Raam sort of being the Nemesis, or uber zombie, of Gears 1.

Gears 3 is Native 4K60 on the X1X, plus there are higher res textures (I think), and what has to be some work on lights and shadows.

Spoiler

8-12-2019_6-56-31_PM-2i3ukiix.thumb.jpg.587b9350f9fee4d1249cf32715014ac5.jpg

8-12-2019_6-56-37_PM-hejccfyl.thumb.jpg.d423c7d9011e2c87659cbd14f3a650fb.jpg

8-12-2019_6-56-43_PM-flofllrt.thumb.jpg.656a10efba15f3d1b6b33b25a56f6755.jpg

8-12-2019_6-56-50_PM-avcw4p3r.thumb.jpg.9f06091da5c4198c036dc05fc6f743ff.jpg

8-12-2019_6-57-05_PM-tgic5kcq.thumb.jpg.1e26a874579fa345b25e8432320472f7.jpg

I didn't realise Gears 3 was X enhanced. It's the only one I never played and I got a free download with Gears 4 so I must give it a go before 5 is released, if I have the time. 

I think 3 may actually be my favourite of them all, I have recently played all of them on my new One X and my ranking would be;

I know the series gets a lot of shit these days, but I thoroughly enjoyed them all really and I cant wait for number 5.

• Upvote 1

The only one in the series I ever had time for was Judgement, and I'm guessing that's because it plays a lot different to the others. 

I remember the first Gears coming out when I was a manager in Gamestation and everyone creaming themselves over it, but it left me cold. I have tried to come back time and time again but all I find is a clunky shooter where everything feels oddly detached. 

• Upvote 1

The revive mechanic on Gears 3 didn’t really do it for me. It’s probably great in co-op but as a single player game, it didn’t feel particularly well balanced - like any difficult bits were only really possible through repeatedly being downed and revived. The last bit in particular was an absolute nightmare played solo. Gears 1 & 2 had their problems, but they worked really well as SP games.

• Upvote 2

Oh yeah, that's fair. I think it's more that the revive mechanic affects the whole game in Gears 3, with the final section being the absolute crescendo of irritation. The end of Gears 1 felt more like that individual bit was really badly designed.

The friendly AI ruined 1 for me,  Dom would happily watch me die over and over again while going into close quarter gun fights armed with a fucking sniper rifle.

By 3 that aspect of the game had been massively improved and I felt that really made that game a whole lot better for it.

5 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

I think 3 may actually be my favourite of them all, I have recently played all of them on my new One X and my ranking would be;

I know the series gets a lot of shit these days, but I thoroughly enjoyed them all really and I cant wait for number 5.

I dont think the Fabricator worked well in the singleplayer in Gears 4, it complicated the gameplay with too many choices. Which was probably the idea behind doing it (give players more choice) but it messed up the rollercoaster flow of the game I thought. Maybe there was some feedback from the playerbase on this, since theyve rolled this back for 5 and taken the Fabricator out of the campaign.

edit: At least thats what I picked up during the tech test, but I cant find the source for it now. I hope its out of the campaign.

5 hours ago, Camel said:

I remember the last bit of 1 being a massive ballache in single player. On a moving train IIRC?

That fucking last bit of the Raam boss fight took me literally hours in Gears 1. Didn’t help for some reason I couldn’t snipe for toffee. Still meaning to play through the remake but the dread of that bit is still a bit off putting. 

Cant remember anything as irritating in the following games.

I've just had every single Xbox 360 game update on my One. Usually you get an update for a handful of titles at a time, but I've never had 155 titles update at once. :blink:

21 hours ago, Fargo said:

I didn't realise Gears 3 was X enhanced. It's the only one I never played and I got a free download with Gears 4 so I must give it a go before 5 is released, if I have the time. 

Forgotten about Judgement, haven't played that either! 

40 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I've just had every single Xbox 360 game update on my One. Usually you get an update for a handful of titles at a time, but I've never had 155 titles update at once. :blink:

Oddly I have noticed some unexpected updates of  box 360 games over the last few days on titles like Crazy Taxi, Samurai Shodown 2 and Daytona... 

Anyone got any info?? 

3 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

My Hope is that BC development is merely suspended until work on the XboxTwo  is complete and then normal service will resume.

That's what I'm assuming. The miracle workers known as the BC team are currently ensuring the X2 is fully backwards compatible with the X1. So it stands to reason that once that work is done, I'll get me Tenchu at last. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

The only one in the series I ever had time for was Judgement, and I'm guessing that's because it plays a lot different to the others. 

I remember the first Gears coming out when I was a manager in Gamestation and everyone creaming themselves over it, but it left me cold. I have tried to come back time and time again but all I find is a clunky shooter where everything feels oddly detached. 

Yeah, I went back to Gears 1 for the first time in years (also in this case the remastered version) having not enjoyed it much originally and found it pretty much exactly as I remembered - it's Hiding Behind A Wall, The Game. It's like playing Attack of the Teletubbies too as your little dudes are so bulky they're practically spherical and the doomp-doomp-doomp noises they make as they run around are hilarious.

The impression I've got is that every game in the series is pretty much the same so I've never played any of the others, though they're all on GamePass: are any of the others significantly better or is it just a series that isn't for me?

• Upvote 1

Gears 1 is pretty clunky in places as Epic were pretty much inventing the modern third person shooter while they were developing it. The sequels smooth off a lot of the rough edges, but they’re fundamentally the same game. If you don’t like Gears 1, you won’t like the other four.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, I always felt after 2 they decided to lean into the meatheaded stupidity of it. I really enjoyed Judgement because Baird is obviously the best character.

It can't be overstated how much better these games are in co-op over single player.

On 12/06/2019 at 12:16, ScouserInExile said:

I was involved in doing the QA of the backwards compatibility on the PS2. Actua Soccer was the only PS1 game that I'm aware of that didn't work on PS2. I have no doubt someone will be along soon to point out that I'm wrong.

Wikipedia has a list of PS1 games that don't play on PS2. Actua Soccer isn't mentioned, but someone on the Talk page says the article is very North America-focused, so that could explain why it's not there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

It surprises me that an early PS1 game like Actua Soccer would be incompatible. I'd assume that the ones that would have struggle most with compatibility were those late in the console's life, as I remember reading that that's when developers tend to increasingly use obscure undocumented/unsupported tricks for directly accessing the hardware, to try and eke out the last scraps of performance. And presumably such tricks would be specific to the PS1 hardware, leading to compatibility problems with the slightly different versions in the PS2?

The page also lists MGS Special Missions as one of the incompatible games. Wikipedia's page for MGS Integral says:

The VR Disc from Integral was released by itself during the same year in other regions as Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions in North America on September 23 and as Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions in the PAL region on October 29.[24][73] While the content of both, VR Missions and Special Missions, are virtually identical to the VR Disc, the unlocking requirements for the Ninja missions and the photoshoot mode were changed accordingly, so that save data from the main game was no longer required. However, the Special Missions version adds the requirement that to load the game the user must also own a copy of the original Metal Gear Solid in PAL format. After booting Special Missions on the console, the player will be asked to switch the disc with the first disc from Metal Gear Solid to load data before asking the player to switch back to the Special Missions disc to proceed through the rest of the game.[74] This requirement renders Special Missions incompatible with PlayStation 2 consoles made before the SCPH-70000 model.

I remember that the disc swap for my PAL copy of MGS Special Missions did work eventually on my fat PS2 (which I think would be one of the 3000x models?), so not impossible - just really inconsistent and unreliable!