IGNORED

Horizon Zero Dawn

Nespresso

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about 50% through this now and I still think it's incredible. I'm taking my time, using fast travel very sparingly and doing most of the quests I find. The machine combat never gets old - in fact, it evolves as you face tougher machines and collect more tools for your arsenal. I had a particularly gratifying session where I faced a massive Thunderjaw in a Cauldron. I assumed it'd kill me a bunch of times before I nailed it, because there's nowhere to run in those cauldrons, but I spent ages preparing the battlefield with tripwires and mines, buffed myself up to counter its attacks, and studied the codex so I knew what parts to attack and what to expect. I smashed it first time thanks in large part to the explosives-lobbing sling, and by stripping its disc launchers to use against it. It was right down to the wire, and incredibly satisfying to pull off.

I do think there are several ways the game could be improved. Firstly, it's a ballache juggling the different weapons via the inventory. They really should streamline it down so you have quick access to the key tools. I shouldn't have to carry three bows to get the full range of arrows.

Similarly, the Ropecaster should be a signature weapon that can be used in a multitude of ways depending on what you fire it at: fire at two surfaces and create a tripwire, fire at a surface and a machine to tether it down. They could take it much further still, and give it traversal and stealth uses: fire at a surface or enemy and then reel yourself in, like a grapple, or fire it and let the rope run loose so you can swing around like Uncharted. Or use it to pull human enemies and loot towards you from a hiding spot. At the moment the ropecaster and tripcaster each take up a slot, meaning you have to keep swapping one out for the war bow or a sling, depending on what you're fighting. It's too fiddly and immersion-breaking.

I also find myself in and out of the menus studying the machine codex. The Focus is good for highlighting enemy weakspots but they could take the study and scanning aspects much further within the game itself - give the Focus zoom capabilities and upgradeable vision modes, so studying new machines for their strengths, weaknesses, current status and stats becomes an active part of planning and research process. Make the player sneak in close to scan for more detailed info, which at the same time will show the machines off in their idling state. Try to get a nicer diegetic interface for studying the machines in real-time, rather than making the player go into the menus to get the full details.

Maybe some of this will be in Forbidden West. I think the grappling is just to pre-set tether points though isn't it?

Yeah, it looks that way to me. She sure likes to rappel in the most dangerous and dramatic fashion, eh? :D 

I started this recently. It took me a while to warm to it, but I'm mostly enjoying it now. I think they did a great job with the animation in particular. Aloy has very sympathetic facial expressions and there are plenty of fancy spins and turns whilst traversing the world that you start to notice. I can't help but think some of the unlockable skills should be doable by default (collecting herbs whilst riding a mount). I'm currently fighting

Spoiler

the 2nd deathbringer inside a large underground area. This time it can move and it's murdering me in seconds. I think I need to stealth the cultist first, but that seems to alert the machine...hmm. I've been rushing through the main missions quite a bit really and I feel pretty underpowered. From fighting various beasts there's obviously an emphasis on fighting smart rather than brute force. I'll probably have to check a guide.

Talking of great animation...

Spoiler

Edit: I went back and beat the big thing first time. I just knocked its components off with hardpoint arrows whilst doing a lot of rolling. EZ 💀

• 1 month later...

I’ve recently started a quick play of this again. I’m very fond of the game really, but this time is the first time I’ve played it with the benefit of HDR.

There’s not many games I’m aware of that have made me really appreciate what the thing can do to a game, but this one definitely does.

Bloody awesome.

On 01/10/2021 at 13:31, Pob said:

I'm about 50% through this now and I still think it's incredible. I'm taking my time, using fast travel very sparingly and doing most of the quests I find. The machine combat never gets old - in fact, it evolves as you face tougher machines and collect more tools for your arsenal. I had a particularly gratifying session where I faced a massive Thunderjaw in a Cauldron. I assumed it'd kill me a bunch of times before I nailed it, because there's nowhere to run in those cauldrons, but I spent ages preparing the battlefield with tripwires and mines, buffed myself up to counter its attacks, and studied the codex so I knew what parts to attack and what to expect. I smashed it first time thanks in large part to the explosives-lobbing sling, and by stripping its disc launchers to use against it. It was right down to the wire, and incredibly satisfying to pull off.

I do think there are several ways the game could be improved. Firstly, it's a ballache juggling the different weapons via the inventory. They really should streamline it down so you have quick access to the key tools. I shouldn't have to carry three bows to get the full range of arrows.

Similarly, the Ropecaster should be a signature weapon that can be used in a multitude of ways depending on what you fire it at: fire at two surfaces and create a tripwire, fire at a surface and a machine to tether it down. They could take it much further still, and give it traversal and stealth uses: fire at a surface or enemy and then reel yourself in, like a grapple, or fire it and let the rope run loose so you can swing around like Uncharted. Or use it to pull human enemies and loot towards you from a hiding spot. At the moment the ropecaster and tripcaster each take up a slot, meaning you have to keep swapping one out for the war bow or a sling, depending on what you're fighting. It's too fiddly and immersion-breaking.

I also find myself in and out of the menus studying the machine codex. The Focus is good for highlighting enemy weakspots but they could take the study and scanning aspects much further within the game itself - give the Focus zoom capabilities and upgradeable vision modes, so studying new machines for their strengths, weaknesses, current status and stats becomes an active part of planning and research process. Make the player sneak in close to scan for more detailed info, which at the same time will show the machines off in their idling state. Try to get a nicer diegetic interface for studying the machines in real-time, rather than making the player go into the menus to get the full details.

Maybe some of this will be in Forbidden West. I think the grappling is just to pre-set tether points though isn't it?

This needs a separate thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Guerrilla have started doing a series of vids on the making of Horizon (and I think eventually they'll be moving onto the sequel). 

The second episode is out at the moment, and if - like me - you're a bit of a nerd for 'lore' and well written back-story to these things, then it's a really fucking cool episode (despite the rather stilted interviewees...).

I always thought the background history to the game was absolutely fantastic, and the writer has some really cool points about it. It's great, and it's making me look forward to the sequel even more.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this when it first came out and started it a couple of times but didn’t make much progress and ended up getting sidetracked with other games.   With the sequel arriving soon, I thought I would have another crack at it and I’ve fallen a little bit in love!  The story has really grabbed me, I’ve just finished the Makers End quest and was going to follow up with some side quests but fuck that I am now on my way to Grave Hoard, I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!

The combat is brilliant, getting into it with the machines doesn’t get old - I’m fairly focused on bows and stealth and have just picked up a rope caster so looking forward to trying that out.  I wish I could have more than four weapons on the wheel, I think it would encourage me to try out some different weapon combos. Inventory management is a bit of a pain in the arse, mainly the resource satchel but I’ve just fully upgraded it so should be good for a while.  

Am I ok to leave the dlc until after the main game or is there some value in hitting it up earlier? 

• 1 month later...

Ive put 20 hours into this and am very much enjoying it as ive posted before but haven’t played it for.a while due to house/life stuff, with the sequel in mind ive picked it up again today and after getting used to the controls again ive carried on with the main quest. I have a question that ill put in spoilers but relates to the first very different enemy type…

Spoiler

The flying bastard thing, I came across it and of course had to engage it but fuck me it tore me a new one again and again - in the end i just walked past it and headed onto the main city but should I have been able to deal with it or is it one to avoid until later on?

Also, my word this looks draw dropping on my new OLED after playing it only on a LCD before.

37 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

If you can't beat it, just move on? Do you have the hardpoint arrows yet? I found once I had those I could hammer pretty much every machine going providing I aimed well.

I do but they don’t seem to do much - I get the feeling I should be upgrading my weapons and mods more so will look into that more as probably very underpowered and full of mods and metal etc!

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I do but they don’t seem to do much - I get the feeling I should be upgrading my weapons and mods more so will look into that more as probably very underpowered and full of mods and metal etc!

Definitely invest in the Ropecaster. It's an essential tool.

7 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Definitely invest in the Ropecaster. It's an essential tool.

i have one of those, defi underuse it tho!

1 hour ago, sammy said:

@ShimmyhillFire arrows are your friend against those fuckers.

Hmm, I didn’t seem to be doing much damage with them or setting off the canister for an explosion.

I have a feeling you are talking about two different enemies.

Is it a small one that usually comes in groups or one giant mofo? The larger one is weak to ice, the small one weak to fire.

19 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I have a feeling you are talking about two different enemies.

Is it a small one that usually comes in groups or one giant mofo? The larger one is weak to ice, the small one weak to fire.

Giant mofo! 

I just bought a bow with ice so maybe I will go back that way and have a play!

On 13/09/2021 at 21:23, Yobo Ahoy said:

Definitely agree with the last point. That first time you see the thunderjaw fighting the Nora in the middle of the valley I was fucking terrified, I stayed well out of sight and watched the scrap from the top of the mountain. 

image.thumb.png.19866bafe6574c91155419960ef95892.png

She'll take the curlers out and be revealed to be Aloy's grandmother in the new one.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Giant mofo! 

Yeah, I walked on first time I saw that near the city - it was engaging a group of hunters so you have help, but it's still a challenge and I died a few times. I came back later on when I was more up to the job.

3 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Giant mofo! 

If you have a strong Rattler (I believe that's what it's called), it works well against Stormbirds after you've tied them to the ground. Stormbirds are powerful enemies though, so try tackling them when you have purple gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been back on this and mostly enjoying it, at times its a very very good game and loads of fun to play - the combat is amazing!!

But, there is always a but, it really suffers from the worst offences in open world games - the main one is missions that are totally walled off…. I cleared out a camp and could see a human being held in some dungeon on the sight thingie but no way in to rescuer them, I looked around for ages and had to google and found that I couldn’t free her as I hadn’t started the quest line :facepalm: Total immersion breaker and it was annoying back in the day on GTA games but after BOTW…..

However, id written this off years ago and outside of a terrible opening and some open world corridors its really very good - i may even pick up the sequel on launch day and I didnt think id say that a few months back!

Just started this myself last week. Enjoying more than I thought. On its release I was a bit dismissive of it as it looked too much like a JRPG but of course I was wrong...

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Just started this myself last week. Enjoying more than I thought. On its release I was a bit dismissive of it as it looked too much like a JRPG but of course I was wrong...

A JRPG? Curious as to what made you think that. :D

15 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

A JRPG? Curious as to what made you think that. :D

:) I know just saw a few screenshots etc.. I have to say in general not a huge fan of RPG games but the balance on this is just about right. Not overly complex crafting, nice story theatricals and exploration. I'm playing it on "story" mode so feel like getting less of a challenge but I'm having fun and not finding it frustrating so working for me! :)

• 3 weeks later...

There now follows are 'How far from the end am I?' post:

I've just done a whole lengthy story-focused bit where Lt Daniels from The Wire said to me "there's no turning back, run an errands you want to do before proceeding", and now I'm in an arena fighting a big dinosaur in front of baying crowds.

How much left?

Secondly: I know The Frozen Wilds is meant to be really good, but I'm keen to play Forbidden West. Is there much future history story stuff in Frozen Wilds? Like most people, I find that stuff by far the most interesting and don't wan't to miss out if it fleshed out in the DLC.

That bit is slightly misleading - it’s not a true point of no return, it’s just a warning that you’re going to be out of the open world for a bit longer than usual. If you blast through the story missions to the end you’re about three hours from the finish I’d say. It’s pretty clear when the final mission becomes an option.

43 minutes ago, Pob said:

There now follows are 'How far from the end am I?' post:

I've just done a whole lengthy story-focused bit where Lt Daniels from The Wire said to me "there's no turning back, run an errands you want to do before proceeding", and now I'm in an arena fighting a big dinosaur in front of baying crowds.

How much left?

Secondly: I know The Frozen Wilds is meant to be really good, but I'm keen to play Forbidden West. Is there much future history story stuff in Frozen Wilds? Like most people, I find that stuff by far the most interesting and don't wan't to miss out if it fleshed out in the DLC.

I've been enjoying the DLC and it feels a bit more polished than the main game