Horizon Zero Dawn

Nespresso

I would love to go back and play the expansion for this that I never got round to in 60fps 4k glory - however I have no idea what the buttons, weapons, crafting etc are since its a while back since I completed the main game.  Is there some sort of training option or similar as I dont want to go through the main story again just to refresh my memory! 

20 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Just press the buttons? See what they do?

Ah yes - silly me. 🤣

It was more about the games systems - I remember crafting, different ammo types etc and certain enemies having week spots.  Perhaps I just need to play around in the normal area before going to the frozen wildlands.

1 minute ago, Parappa said:

Ah yes - silly me. 🤣

It was more about the games systems - I remember crafting, different ammo types etc and certain enemies having week spots.  Perhaps I just need to play around in the normal area before going to the frozen wildlands.

Yeah, it's probably best to go to the Embrace and try stuff. The game's UI is pretty sparse anyway and little is explained. I remember discovering only halfway during my first play-through you could upgrade your ammo capacity. Second time around and I've got more arrows than I'd ever need before leaving the Embrace.

I think it's most important to learn to hold the L1 button for the weapon selection and ammo crafting options mid-play.

I remember when this first came out people ripped the piss for the amount of resources and craftables but tbh compared to God of War it’s relatively simple. 

2 hours ago, Parappa said:

Ah yes - silly me. 🤣

Just look up a top ten things to know guide on YouTube or wherever.  Should quickly bring it all back.

I got back into it after a long break, I still find it confusing but just collect everything and scan machines for weak spots. Brilliant game that never grabbed me first time round but did on PS5 and that was before 60fps patch.

16 hours ago, scoobysi said:

I got back into it after a long break, I still find it confusing but just collect everything and scan machines for weak spots. Brilliant game that never grabbed me first time round but did on PS5 and that was before 60fps patch.

I think it suffers from the same thing as Tsushima: you've seen it all before.

It has its own distinct setting and flavour, but if you play it in quick succession to any other UbiGame™ you'll wonder what the fuss is about. Repeating what I said earlier: I love the world setting and the combat, but the more immediate RPG elements form its Achilles' heel. I would've much more preferred a Souls-like form of storytelling here and less cookie-cutter questing.

In contrast I really thought the quests in Tsushima added to the atmosphere and the immediate consequences of what was happening in the game world. In Zero Dawn, everything just felt weirdly detached. Maybe it'll click a bit more during my second playthrough.

6 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I think it suffers from the same thing as Tsushima: you've seen it all before.

It has its own distinct setting and flavour, but if you play it in quick succession to any other UbiGame™ you'll wonder what the fuss is about. Repeating what I said earlier: I love the world setting and the combat, but the more immediate RPG elements form its Achilles' heel. I've would've much more preferred a Souls-like form of storytelling here and less cookie-cutter questing.

In contrast I really thought the quests in Tsushima added to the atmosphere and the immediate consequences of what was happening in the game world. In Zero Dawn, everything just felt weirdly detached. Maybe it'll click a bit more during my second playthrough.

I’ve never quite figured out the best way to play these games (focus on main Story, mop up side quest as you go etc.) but with GoT especially I just find the world, story and characters very engaging. I think HZD clicked once I really started concentrating on collecting the logs and listening to the voice recordings.

I'm giving this another go thanks to the 60fps patch but I'm still struggling to click with it. I mean I'm finding it OK but I've yet to get to a stage where I think "this is amazing!". It's mystifying, I usually love this kind of thing. 

14 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Yeah, it's probably best to go to the Embrace and try stuff. The game's UI is pretty sparse anyway and little is explained. I remember discovering only halfway during my first play-through you could upgrade your ammo capacity. Second time around and I've got more arrows than I'd ever need before leaving the Embrace.

The thing that I didn’t realize (until I had basically already finished) was that harvester arrows multiply the resources when you shoot them off the machines. I had never used them thinking they were totally useless because piercing arrows are available. When I needed a ton of blaze canisters for the blast sling it was a life saver.

17 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I'm giving this another go thanks to the 60fps patch but I'm still struggling to click with it. I mean I'm finding it OK but I've yet to get to a stage where I think "this is amazing!". It's mystifying, I usually love this kind of thing. 

For me it was probably after my first Cauldron, which really forced me to strategize. The game has a slow start with a lot of tutorialization, which almost made me drop the game. But when the world opens up, the tutorials disappear and the story starts hitting major beats I became hooked after all. I think that - for me at least - it helped that I played on the highest difficulty, it made fights incredibly tense, the world dangerous to traverse and it forced me to really think about my approach to encounters. 
I also think the backstory is one of the coolest of any AAA game and its environmentalist themes are very welcome in this day and age.

On 03/09/2021 at 11:40, Vemsie said:

For me it was probably after my first Cauldron, which really forced me to strategize. The game has a slow start with a lot of tutorialization, which almost made me drop the game. But when the world opens up, the tutorials disappear and the story starts hitting major beats I became hooked after all. I think that - for me at least - it helped that I played on the highest difficulty, it made fights incredibly tense, the world dangerous to traverse and it forced me to really think about my approach to encounters. 
I also think the backstory is one of the coolest of any AAA game and its environmentalist themes are very welcome in this day and age.

I'm enjoying it more as it goes on, and yes, the story is pretty decent. But there's just a few minor things that aggravate me about it, like the dull dialogue and performances, the awful costume designs, and the fact you can't advance time (a personal peeve of mine in open world games). I'm not a massive fan of the combat either as the bow doesn't have any feeling to it whatsoever, especially compared with Tsushima which I've just come off playing. It doesn't get much better at close range when all you can do to the Zoids is slap them with a stick, a stick which for some reason can't be replaced or upgraded.

I've just started Frozen Wilds so it's a nice change of scenery.

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I'm enjoying it more as it goes on, and yes, the story is pretty decent. But there's just a few minor things that aggravate me about it, like the dull dialogue and performances, the awful costume designs, and the fact you can't advance time (a personal peeve of mine in open world games). I'm not a massive fan of the combat either as the bow doesn't have any feeling to it whatsoever, especially compared with Tsushima which I've just come off playing. It doesn't get much better at close range when all you can do to the Zoids is slap them with a stick, a stick which for some reason can't be replaced or upgraded.

I like all the options you have in combat as well as the agressiveness and different attacks of the machines, but the melee combat is one of the weakest things about the combat. Probably the weakest, along with the boring human opponents. Seems Guerrilla listend to those complaints at least, because the melee combat in that gameplay demo from the Forbidden West State of Play looks like a huge improvement and the humans look more interesting to fight as well, given that they either ride machines or wield flaming hammers while wearing cool armour you can shoot off.
Going from PS5 games to PS4 games that don't have haptics and don't use the adapative triggers does feel flat, so I'm looking forward to finding out how weapons feel in Forbidden West.

2 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

There is a later game upgrade to the slapping stick, I seem to recall. Also, if fighting the Zoids is boring, up the difficulty, and start using the other bits in your arsenal - like trip wires and grenades etc. As you play you will unlock many more weapon types - especially after Frozen Wilds - which change things up quite a bit.

As for the story, read and listen to every diary you pick up along the way. It is an incredibly well done story/backstory combo that beats anything in gaming for me by a country mile (and is up there with the best SciFi as a core idea). There's a point where it really starts to emerge, and then it just clicks, and then you are fully onboard.

Trust me.

I played on the hardest and its instadeath if you get melee hit by a dino. I found it quite fun because it forces you to use the weaknesses and stuff properly, its not impossible by any means and the slowmo aiming really helps. I'd bang it up to the max and see how you get on, if that is a bit too punishing try the next level down which is what I feel is probably the best balance overall. 

15 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I played on the hardest and its instadeath if you get melee hit by a dino. I found it quite fun because it forces you to use the weaknesses and stuff properly, its not impossible by any means and the slowmo aiming really helps. I'd bang it up to the max and see how you get on, if that is a bit too punishing try the next level down which is what I feel is probably the best balance overall. 

I put it up to Very Hard and it instantly became much more engaging. I did end up Benny Hill-ing around the two bandit camps I cleared last night but I can see that I actually need to master the different tools and moves in order to survive, which is much more my thing than just coasting through.

It also makes resources and upgrades seem more valuable, which I always like.

I'm really enjoying this now. I've only just been released into the wild but already I can't wait to get back to it.

12 hours ago, Darwock said:

The only downer about doing ultra hard the first time is that the cost of all the upgrades is significantly higher on that mode.

And you don't get the trophy, as you need to do Ultra Hard on NG+ for some reason. I don't care that much about trophies, but it still pissed me off a bit. :)

So i am enjoying my play through of this now but i have a couple of things that confuse me….

When you first take down a Watcher hitting them in the eye did 90 damage and one hit kill, now when I’m hitting Watcher in the same yellow spot I’m only getting 32 damage and not a one hit kill - I am further along so is that just enemies are tougher or am I doing something wrong?

The other thing, and also likely down to me being silly, is the ones that you can blow up the tanks on their backs - again used to be just hit them with flame bow and wait for the boom where now direct hits dont always trigger an explosion?

Ive currently just finished the…

Spoiler

The first two corruption zones to clean up

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

So i am enjoying my play through of this now but i have a couple of things that confuse me….

When you first take down a Watcher hitting them in the eye did 90 damage and one hit kill, now when I’m hitting Watcher in the same yellow spot I’m only getting 32 damage and not a one hit kill - I am further along so is that just enemies are tougher or am I doing something wrong?

The other thing, and also likely down to me being silly, is the ones that you can blow up the tanks on their backs - again used to be just hit them with flame bow and wait for the boom where now direct hits dont always trigger an explosion?

Ive currently just finished the…

Reveal hidden contents

The first two corruption zones to clean up

There are variations (sometimes elemental based) with different stats and weaknesses. Corrupted Watchers (or any machines with the funky red dreads, really) are definitely stronger, so could be that you are just fighting different variations.

31 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

There are variations (sometimes elemental based) with different stats and weaknesses. Corrupted Watchers (or any machines with the funky red dreads, really) are definitely stronger, so could be that you are just fighting different variations.

Thanks all, they were corrupted Watchers with the red bit as you said, as long as I hadn’t missed anything silly as i do tend to follow story/tips etc!

I'm really enjoying this. I'm only 10 hours in, and I did the first Cauldron last night. I've done a couple of main missions and some sides, but tbh keep getting distracted by the sheer joy of dinobot hunting. I'm learning about the different damage types and status effects, and how to mix them up to dent the huge health bars some of the beasts have. 

The boss of Sigma Cauldron is some huge firebreathing robot (yellowbelly or something) that was just too nails on Very Hard, so I had to drop it down a level. But I whacked it straight back up as soon as I got back into the open. It did teach me a lot about preparation, weapon usage and trap-laying, though. And I just saw two of those firebreathers out in the wild and managed to take them both out, at the cost of very many arrows and traps! It was really exhilarating. I love getting a bullseye on their blaze canisters or tearing off a component. Such great fun.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

I'm really enjoying this. I'm only 10 hours in, and I did the first Cauldron last night. I've done a couple of main missions and some sides, but tbh keep getting distracted by the sheer joy of dinobot hunting. I'm learning about the different damage types and status effects, and how to mix them up to dent the huge health bars some of the beasts have. 

The boss of Sigma Cauldron is some huge firebreathing robot (yellowbelly or something) that was just too nails on Very Hard, so I had to drop it down a level. But I whacked it straight back up as soon as I got back into the open. It did teach me a lot about preparation, weapon usage and trap-laying, though. And I just saw two of those firebreathers out in the wild and managed to take them both out, at the cost of very many arrows and traps! It was really exhilarating. I love getting a bullseye on their blaze canisters or tearing off a component. Such great fun.

Yeah, one of my favourite things about Horizon is how satisfying the combat feedback loop is. Shooting bits off machines (and sometimes using those against them), seeing them limp, blowing up canisters and sacks and taking down other machines with it; it's all very satisfying stuff.