Horizon Zero Dawn

Nespresso

1 hour ago, Seamonster said:

Doesn't it? I bought the original (disc version) on release, then bought the DLC (all on PS4). Then downloaded the Complete Edition on the PS5 when they gave it away free and my original save works fine on it.

Same, apart from I didn’t buy any dlc before playing Complete Edition.

With the 60fps update I'll probably finally give this game a go. After playing From Software titles I have a bit of a short fuse with other action adventure titles with too much story, dialogue and menus etc. so let's see how this fairs.

If you don't like lots of story in a game, I very much suspect you won't get on with this game. Mind, most of the (best) story bits are in found items - mostly text logs, but sometimes audio and video logs. The best story bits being all the stuff about the old world. There's still a fair few of the old cutscenes in there too though, which isn't very From at all.

The comments about the lore make me want to play this. I'm currently playing Botw and I keep searching ruins hoping to find information about what happened but I have not seen any so far. 

I love that in games, exploring ruins in Fallout and finding a computer entry is brilliant. Codex entries in Dragon Age etc

35 minutes ago, Mallet said:

The comments about the lore make me want to play this. I'm currently playing Botw and I keep searching ruins hoping to find information about what happened but I have not seen any so far. 

I love that in games, exploring ruins in Fallout and finding a computer entry is brilliant. Codex entries in Dragon Age etc

I think you’d enjoy it, there are a lot of text, voice and holographic logs scattered across the world.

11 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I think you’d enjoy it, there are a lot of text, voice and holographic logs scattered across the world.

As long as it is interesting I'll enjoy it. 

So Horizon is basically split into three zones.

The Embrace - This is your tutorial zone.

The Nora Lands - Where the game checks to make sure you know how to play it while introducing all the content types (hunting grounds, bandit camps, cauldrons, a wider array of machines etc).

The Carja Lands - This is the main brunt of the game and where most of the best stuff happens.

Then there is also the frozen wilds DLC which in many respects is everything the devs wanted the base game to be. It’s almost like a Horizon 1.5 in a sense. It won’t make you think worse of the base game but it’ll give an idea of what direction the series may go in design wise.

1 hour ago, Dig Dug said:

Then there is also the frozen wilds DLC which in many respects is everything the devs wanted the base game to be. It’s almost like a Horizon 1.5 in a sense. It won’t make you think worse of the base game but it’ll give an idea of what direction the series may go in design wise.

I think with the Winter settings, Frozen Wilds and a new game+ play through of Miles Morales will be my Xmas games this year.  

I bounced off this hard when it came out, played it after Zelda BOTW so it probably didnt stand a chance and to be fair i often bounce off ‘Sony games’ on first play through most of the time but with a shiny new ps5 and this in my digital library i thought i would give it another go! I didn’t know the day I installed it was the day it was patched (i assumed it already was) for 60fps and I made the mistake of installing the new version (I own the original one) so of course my save doesn’t work but it meant i was starting fresh and i needed it tbh as id forgotten everything about the controls..

Early days but it feels so much better to play now and still looks stunning and I’m going to settle on it being my ‘PS5’ game to play while i track down/wait for cheap copies of MM etc to turn up.

I started replaying this when it was released for free a few months back but stopped because I couldn’t handle the 30fps.

Been playing it again this week after the patch and it really is stunning. I’d forgotten how hostile the world is relative to most other open world games, you spend a lot of time figuring out routes to go around the machine sites, especially if you ramp up the difficulty to hard.

Went through the first cauldron last night, absolutely epic at the higher difficulty and better frame rate and resolution. If you didn’t know better and someone told you it was a new PS5 release you’d believe it.

On 27/08/2021 at 09:35, jonamok said:

The lore about the old world and what happened, and how the history is told through logs and later gameplay sections is my favourite story in gaming, bar none. Blew me away.

Yup.  Even when I tired of the battles the story just kept on giving.  Loved it.  Looking forward to the 60fps play through at some point. I never played the frozen wilds and I think I probably went at the battles with the dinosaurs in a brute force way rather than tactically taking them apart.  

You just head up to the area where the expansion is set, up in the snowy region (think it was to the North-East).

There's a path climbing out of the end of a valley.

The first time I played this on PS4 Pro, I thought it looked stunning. I tried it on PS5 (pre-patch) and it felt like a blurry mess. Even with the 60fps patch, while it feels much better, there’s still a lot of motion blur, that I really wish they’d let you turn off. 

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

The new machines in the Frozen Wilds are absolutely terrifying on the hardest setting. I’ll never forget some of those moments.

Heh. I did my first playthrough on Ultra Hard and the first enemy you encounter in The Frozen Wilds absolutely destroyed me.

I'm really excited about Forbidden West. Zero Dawn did some things really well, like machine combat and lore, while faltering in others, like traversal and melee combat. FW looks to fix what didn't work, while doubling down on what did. Bring it.

6 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I made the mistake of installing the new version (I own the original one) so of course my save doesn’t work but it meant i was starting fresh and i needed it tbh as id forgotten everything about the controls..

Was your original digital because the save of the disk version transferred fine and you’re not the first to say it wouldn’t transfer?

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

Was your original digital because the save of the disk version transferred fine and you’re not the first to say it wouldn’t transfer?

Original was digital and version I’m playing is the collection digital one with dlc.

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Original was digital and version I’m playing is the collection digital one with dlc.

Yep must be the two digital versions that are incompatible, it’s pants. They should’ve done a save import with the 60fps version.

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

Yep must be the two digital versions that are incompatible, it’s pants. They should’ve done a save import with the 60fps version.

TBH I hadn’t played it a huge amount so was good to start again and learn the controls etc.

I'm about 4 hours into this and still can't get used to duck being on Square, and roll being on Circle, which is making the boss fights a bit of a clusterfuck. What I'd do for an option to switch them over (can't do it at the OS level, as that would screw up menu navigation).

Even though I've spent a good proportion of those first 4 hours watching rather than playing, I'm enjoying the world so far. I'm looking forward to getting into more open world dino-hunting, when the game lets me.

4 hours ago, Pob said:

I'm about 4 hours into this and still can't get used to duck being on Square, and roll being on Circle, which is making the boss fights a bit of a clusterfuck. What I'd do for an option to switch them over (can't do it at the OS level, as that would screw up menu navigation).

Even though I've spent a good proportion of those first 4 hours watching rather than playing, I'm enjoying the world so far. I'm looking forward to getting into more open world dino-hunting, when the game lets me.

Not a Souls player? :)

I've restarted this as well to bask in the 60 fps glory. The start is definiteky slow, even though I can appreciate the worldbuilding. It opens up a lot more when 

Spoiler

Aloy becomes a Nora Seeker

Also:

I’m a few hours in and really quite enjoying it on this attempt, there are a few niggles like why do you have to be on a spot within 0.0000000001mm of anything you need to pickup before the button press is recognised!? It really kills the flow esp as you seemingly need to pick up so much stuff all the time - so many games let you approach and press the button way before the on screen message prompts you and are the better for it.

However I’m having fun, the combat is good and it looks stunning - so much better for the 60fps and improved load times.

59 minutes ago, smac said:

Really? As I recall, I just used to grab ingredients as I ran past. Is it those, or other collectables?

The prompt doesn’t come up until you are practically standing on it, it needs a much bigger radius around it so it would be much smoother IMO