VN1X

Horizon Zero Dawn

Game impressions/discussion starts here

horizon-zero-dawn-logo.png

By Guerilla Games

Release Date: February 28th 2017

ABOUT

Horizon Zero Dawn is an exhilarating new action role playing game exclusively for the PlayStation 4 system, developed by the award winning Guerrilla Games, creators of PlayStation’s venerated Killzone franchise. As Horizon Zero Dawn’s main protagonist Aloy, a skilled hunter, explore a vibrant and lush world inhabited by mysterious mechanized creatures. Embark on a compelling, emotional journey and unravel mysteries of tribal societies, ancient artifacts and advanced technologies that will determine the fate of this planet, and of life itself.

KEY FEATURES

• A Lush Post-Apocalyptic World – How have machines come to dominate this world, and what is their purpose? What happened to the civilization here before? Scour every corner of a realm filled with ancient relics and mysterious buildings in order to uncover your past and unearth the many secrets of a forgotten land.
  • Nature and Machines Collide – Horizon Zero Dawn juxtaposes two contrasting elements, taking a vibrant world rich with beautiful nature and filling it with awe-inspiring highly advanced technology. This marriage creates a dynamic combination for both exploration and gameplay.
  • Defy Overwhelming Odds – The foundation of combat in Horizon Zero Dawn is built upon the speed and cunning of Aloy versus the raw strength and size of the machines. In order to overcome a much larger and technologically superior enemy, Aloy must use every ounce of her knowledge, intelligence, and agility to survive each encounter.
  • Cutting Edge Open World Tech: Stunningly detailed forests, imposing mountains, and atmospheric ruins of a bygone civilization meld together in a landscape that is alive with changing weather and a day/night cycle.

IMAGES

Spoiler

18225725533_e1bf0d7b56_h.jpg

18849066731_75f88d51ac_h.jpg

18660190749_e5786f3d1a_h.jpg

18223769824_f37d7f244d_h.jpg

image_horizon_zero_dawn-28643-3283_0001.

image_horizon_zero_dawn-28643-3283_0008.

image_horizon_zero_dawn-28643-3283_0007.

image_horizon_zero_dawn-28643-3283_0003.

VIDEOS

Spoiler

Maybe a bit early to dedicate a thread to but that footage looks a bit amazing. :omg:

• Upvote 8

Yeah, look really good.

As I said in the Sony thread, they actually managed to get a lot of RPG talent on board for this, including the writer of Fallout New Vegas (and the co-creator of Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system), cinematic and quest designers from CD Projekt RED as well as folks who worked for Bethesda, Blizzard and Bioware.

And boy, do they have some great artists over there.

The robot design reminds me of the Zoids toys I had when I was a kid :P

Good to see some original settings in games, and definitely got my hopes up with that talent behind it.

Yeah, this was a neat surprise, loved the setup / setting. The creature design is fantastic too. Her little lines of dialogue while fighting were a bit weird though, I hope they aren't there in the actual game.

Really impressed me this. Post apocalyptic is pretty old hat now. But forgotten apocalypse is interesting. Especially went the Earth looks so healthy (and colourful). That and that it might touch on Singularity stuff plot wise.

It also looked quite Monster Huntery.

Really, really impressed.

It's Guerilla of Killzone fame, so we can have no fears in the graphics department. Story can be their weak point, but it seems they have drafted in some talent in that area.

Some of their gameplay can be divisive too, but this is a real departure for them so we'll see!

Hyped for this. Who is developing? What is their previous output?

Any nice high res images of the overgrown cityscapes around?

Beard?

It's Guerrilla. :P

Also reminds me of the large mecha-animals + hunters artwork that was doing the rounds some months ago. Wonder if that was connected. Interesting setting, glorious artwork, now if only they can get the game design together…

[edit] This stuff btw:

a5faf801a2cecca3bf17ff8fe4e399fb.jpg

501f45d5fcefaf91fdbae65549a2e9e5.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hyped for this. Who is developing? What is their previous output?

Any nice high res images of the overgrown cityscapes around?

It says so right at the top. :mellow:

This does look lovely - it's really nice to see a post-apocalyptic setting that's a) so far after the apocalypse, and b) actually willing to put a bit of colour in. That, and it's always nice to see something that isn't a sequel being revealed.

I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure.

Yes it's less post-apocalypse and mor post-post-apocalypse. Which is a good setup at least.

Post-historic?

Looked good then the character started self narrating. Also the main character is an awful design.

How so? I think she looks refreshingly well suited to the world she's supposed to live in.

I did find the self-narration irritating (though I could see it working quite well as a tutorial at the start - the way she shouts out the weakpoint alleviating the weird situation in so many games where your experienced hero has to be talked through how to use their weapon), but yeah, I had no real problems with the character model - a little generically lithe and attractive (and white, naturally), perhaps, but hardly 'awful'. Celtic looks and sensible attire for the setting actually made her pretty interesting.

• Upvote 1

This is the game that is seriously tempting me to get a PS4. I don't give two hoots about TLG, and I never enjoyed playing Shenmue I. If the FFVII remake turns out to be great, then I'll pick it up on a Steam sale down the line. But this game... Phwoar.

I was in party chat with some friends whilst watching the Sony conference, and all of us got really excited by the prospect of playing Horizons. The artstyle looks beautiful, the concept seems pretty great and it has you taking down giant robot dinosaurs with a bow and arrow.

I was initially quite sceptical because I always found the Killzone games to be a bit meh. The controls just never felt right, and as such I could never enjoy playing the games. I never felt really in control of the action, and the AI companions were crap and never actually killed anything. They were just there for show.

But this looks like it could be a brilliant game. I hope it plays as well as it appears to. Definitely keeping my one on this.

Loved the concepts shown in the trailer, the various tools for the bow looked so neat.

That self narration is hopefully just added for effect, I can't see it working in reality, unless the game is better at guessing what I want to do than I am!

Gives me a bit of a Lost Planet vibe, actually.

I'm a bit disappointed we didn't get to see anything of WiLD, but this looked seriously good.

I did feel sorry for the robot though. Takes me back to the whaling in Black Flag. Poor fella.