VN1X

Ghost Recon: Wildlands. Sam Fisher bonus mission.

1 minute ago, Scruff said:

If you can tell me how I actually invite people, I should be able to invite you (I got into the beta rather than using a friend invite so I should have 3 keys?)

Sweet, thanks.  I think once we are friends on the UBI club thing you take the steps listed here: https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/faqs/000026190/Friend-referral-in-Ghost-Recon-Wildlands-closed-beta ... thats if it all works as its supposed to of course!

Sorry FiniteLight, I'm not even sure I can invite reading through some of the tech assistance threads. I thought I'd got accepted by Ubi but it seems my code was via Deeptone and invitees don't get any additional codes :(

Seems good so far. Nice soft enemies, loads of HUD and gameplay tweaking options (straight away turned a load of the HUD off, switched to third-person aiming by default, like MGSV).

I can't work out how/if you can shoulder swap. It seems to arbitrarily swap between the two depending on your position.

I think this will come alive in 4 players, max difficulty with minimal HUD assists.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Pob said:

I can't work out how/if you can shoulder swap. It seems to arbitrarily swap between the two depending on your position.

I think it's R1.

7 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Sorry FiniteLight, I'm not even sure I can invite reading through some of the tech assistance threads. I thought I'd got accepted by Ubi but it seems my code was via Deeptone and invitees don't get any additional codes :(

No worries, thanks for battling with their awful club system and giving it a go.  If anyone else with invites spare fancies trying it I'd be much appreciated :) 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, FiniteLight said:

No worries, thanks for battling with their awful club system and giving it a go.  If anyone else with invites spare fancies trying it I'd be much appreciated :) 

I think I sent you one. It's not the clearest system I've used.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, FiniteLight said:

I've added you as a friend. Go to the Ubisoft club to accept and I'll send you an invite.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, murray said:

Just added you.

It's saying you're already invited on my friends list.  Do you still need it?

1 minute ago, Len said:

It's saying you're already invited on my friends list.  Do you still need it?

Yeah I wanted the code to give to Jon Denton, actually. No worries if you want to give it to someone else though.

We are playing it as a group of 4, it seems good but repetitive - I would need to see a lot more variety before I would buy (I'm getting Switch so was never going to get this tbh) but it does seem fun with plenty to do in terms of weapons and skills.

11 minutes ago, FiniteLight said:

Thanks for all the invite reponses folks,I managed to accept the one from DrWatson98.  Now I have to wait for it to let me set the download going.

Did you get the code emailed to you and redeem it?

Just now, FiniteLight said:

Bit of a delay but yeah, a code eventually was emailed to me and I redeemed it in the usual way.

Ace, see you on tonight then?

I played the first few missions solo at lunch.

The basic structure is decent, so long as you're into FarCry-style map clearing; there seems like a lot of world to graze on. I suspect it'll be a good background game to play with friends in a party, and it's possible that the hardest difficulty might make the experience a bit more involved.

However, right now the fundamentals feel really loose. Aiming with a controller is pretty unwieldy, like there's a lot of input lag but I think it's actually the ramping and acceleration on the sticks. That's something they could probably tune up before launch, or at least surface the values for players to tweak, but right now it's a pretty big flaw.

Similarly, and far less likely to be addressed, the vehicle controls are lacklustre. Ground-based vehicles feel... odd, like they're being pushed along by an invisible hand. Impacts also seem to lack consequence, especially on a bike. As for air vehicles, they feel simplified to the point where I can't really fly how I'd like. It might not be so egregious if I hadn't put many hours into GTAV's aircraft, which I think hit the sweet spot between accessibility and simulation, but it felt more like pointing a plane at the runway than landing it.

I'm looking forward to giving co-op a go later, but right now it seems like the kind of disposable Ubisoft title you'll pick up for £20 a while after launch, have a blast with friends for the best part of a month then promptly forget about. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ferine said:

As for air vehicles, they feel simplified to the point where I can't really fly how I'd like. It might not be so egregious if I hadn't put many hours into GTAV's aircraft, which I think hit the sweet spot between accessibility and simulation, but it felt more like pointing a plane at the runway than landing it.

Ack, I was worried about that. I dunno why devs are so scared of putting challenging aircraft handling in their games. It's not stopped Battlefield becoming a hit. I love flying choppers in games but only when they actually handle like choppers.

Helicopters need BF4 controls, they are shocking in this - not so much that you can't control them just that the camera doesn't follow so you are using BF style controls but one is purely controlling the camera and nothing to do with the actual flying :doh:

First impressions are really fucking great, this wasn't really on my radar at all but now I think I'll get it before Halo Wars/RE7. On the 2nd difficulty you can get away with being sloppy but I'll be diving back in tonight on a higher one to go after a more stealthy approach. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Is anyone Billy no mates'ing it? How's the AI?

I am. It's passable. They teleport around the map though and stand around like plums unless ordered to attack or engaged by enemies.

Even with the best AI in the world though, the game is pretty much designed around playing with friends so I imagine it'll get boring real quick in solo.