Ghost Recon: Wildlands. Free weekend Sep 20-23rd

Nespresso

11 minutes ago, VN1X said:

But I feel like you already die so fast on the normal difficulty and changing that to a higher setting would only make that even worse when you get spotted or something, thus resulting in an even bigger trial and error game.

I mean I might've done so if I was going through it alone but in co-op it's somewhat of a nightmare already and we spent more time looking at loading screens than playing the actual game! :lol:

Ah, apologies, I thought you were finding it too easy. It can definitely be a comedy of errors until you settle into it. 360℃ base assault games games are my favourite thing though, especially when vehicles are involved, so I can't get enough of it, even solo.

3 minutes ago, Len said:

No, I just stumbled across it in the fourth or fifth region I went to.

Did you stumble across it by hearing the music cues and Pred sound effects? It’s pretty cool the way it’s integrated into the regular game when you’re in the correct region. 

Oh fuck so much stuff on my wish list coming in that Ghost Mode update:

Ghost Mode is playable solo or in co-op, but make no mistake – it's a high-stakes test of skill that introduces a range of features, including permadeath, friendly fire, and the option to play completely solo (with no AI teammates). Other Ghost Mode features include:

• A new loadout that restricts players to one main weapon and one handgun.

• Real Reloading, which means that if you pop out a partially full clip, you'll lose the bullets that were in there when you slap in a new one.

• Gear management that prevents players from swapping in different weapons unless they're looting an enemy or using an ammo box.

A lot of this stuff is what Ghost Recon should really be about: planning and execution. Can’t wait to see what else it tweaks. 

I'm really looking forward to trying the new Ghost Mode, which includes a bunch of tweaks to make it more realistic including, very harshly, permadeath that wipes all your progress! I don;t expect to finish the campaign but it'll be fun to see how far I can get.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a start on an attempt at Ghost Mode (permadeath) yesterday. I put it on Normal with minimal HUD (no enemy markers). It's pretty cool starting from nothing and trying to be efficient and cautious, as I guess it's a bit more how you'd act in real life.

I got all the intel for the starting region quickly so I could swing by bonus point medals and weapon cases as I went around doing missions. If you bungle your stealth approach you need to roll with it, as there are no restarts. Instead of clearing bases I've been sneaking in to grab the goodies, and sneaking out again with minimal disturbance to the guards.

The 'real reloading' (lose the rest of the clip when you reload) is really good when combined with the low ammo count you have to put up with at the start. It really makes you play economically. Only being able to carry a single primary does mean you'll only ever use an all-purpose assault rifle, but it also encourages you to use your sidearm more.

It's pretty easy going so far, I've not been downed although I've got into a few firefights. No doubt I'll die stupidly bailing out of the chopper and getting hit by the rotors, or being run over after spooking some locals.

Anyone who wants a go on Xbox, feel free to join me (P0B) just don't fucking shoot me!

Ack, after doing 2.5 regions on the new Ghost Mode my character died. There's a great prison break mission in Flor Del Oro where I eventually succumbed to overwhelming opposition after raising the alarm. It was my third attempt to spring this guy from jail. First time I raised the alarm quite early so pegged it. Second time I got right into the jail cells but a loud shot rang out just as I was releasing him. After playing cat and mouse with Unidad in the town, I rolled right into the prison compound in a stolen APC but my mission target took a round in the head before he could jump in the escape car.

My third attempt was better planned. Escape vehicle parked at the low-security rear entrance, most snipers sniped, exit route out of the compound pretty much cleared. I took a chance trying to shoot a couple of rooftop guards with my silenced pistol but fucked it up. I was then pinned on the roof by snipers and Unidad troops coming up to get me and was forced to make a run when a chopper started shooting me, but I didn't make it.

Despite losing all that progress, the non-linear nature means I can dive straight back in and attempt a different set of missions, and still work my way towards the final buchon. I really want to do a successful prison break though!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sounds good. I've got a thing for PVPVE - modes where you're trying to achieve some PVE objective but there are other players around who may or may not ruin your day. Division Survival mode, Sea of Thieves, that kind of thing.

Looking forward to trying it.

• 3 years later...

This has 75% off in the Xbox store at the minute, about £14, if anyone is interested.

I had just earned £10 store credit from rewards so took a punt.

Opinions in this thread seem generally positive, especially for co-op shenanigans, so I hope I've a good time with it.

I enjoyed Wildlands a lot, playing it in Co-op with my brother. We’ve recently started Breakpoint in the same way (also cheap) and it’s just not clicking. Wildlands was the better game for sure. 

4 of us played it co-op shortly after release and we really enjoyed the weekly meet up.  Eventually getting to El Sueneo after months of play was fantastic and a real event.

So many laughs and xbox captures taken to capture the various moments (who shot first, who triggered the explosives, who crashed the choppers etc)

Breakpoint was pure shit sadly and we hated it.