rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

Ghost Recon: Wildlands. Free weekend Sep 20-23rd

A generous open beta for the weekend. I think the last GR was one on the 360 and it was great

This just feels like Far Cry, all of them There is something missing. Not particularly taken with the setting TBH. Feels like we have been here many, many times before. Are Ubi just reusing the same assets for these games over and over again?

• Upvote 1

Too much faff getting into the game and joining a friend. That all put me off to start with. Didn't like the cut scenes or the squad chatter. Combat felt far too easy on the difficulty one up from default. Driving was weird,  the cars can take far too much damage and can pretty much drive over any terrain without struggling. I'm going to stick with Destiny and wait for Destiny 2 I think. 

Haven't been able to connect to the server at all,today. Will try one more time tomorrow and then I'm done. Certainly not going to fork out £70 on this if I can't try it first.

35 minutes ago, g wings said:

Haven't been able to connect to the server at all,today. Will try one more time tomorrow and then I'm done. Certainly not going to fork out £70 on this if I can't try it first.

Why would you fork out £70 anyway? You can get the base game for £44

Just now, Varsity said:

Why would you fork out £70 anyway? You can get the base game for £44

Well whatever the deluxe edition is. Because I'm a sucker ;)

I always play coop games on Tuesdays always with 3 other RL friends, this is an absolute perfect fit for us coming off the back of the Division, Borderlands series, Dying Light etc. 
It's got some obvious issues of course but we all had a load of fun with it (but didn't want to do too much and spoil things) but I reckon it's a sure fire purchase.

Well I really enjoyed that beta. It feels like the Division done properly.Played a load of co-op over the weekend and a genuinely good time with it. Its one I think with a regular team its a definite purchase

I did enjoy spending a few hours playing the Beta but like above, I do feel that it doesn't have much depth. The old game in Terrorist mode had such replay value but this doesn't require any tactics, just run and gun. 

Also the bad guys are bullet sponges, is there a 1 shot kill mode for both sides?

2 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

Also the bad guys are bullet sponges, is there a 1 shot kill mode for both sides?

Pretty much everything is a one shot kill with a stealthy sniper shot I found.  It was one of the reason I liked it versus the Bullet sponge hell of The Division

It does annoy me when you shoot someone and they just keep running, it should at least knock them off their feet.  I had a play with the sniper rifle but I was mostly stealthing it up with the pistol, just a shame that even at close range I had to put a few bullets in them.

I love the feel of it, don't get me wrong. I just know I won't be arsed doing anything other than online and my brief experience with randoms doesn't give me much hope that I'm going to experience much but frustration. Shame.

4 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Pretty much everything is a one shot kill with a stealthy sniper shot I found.  It was one of the reason I liked it versus the Bullet sponge hell of The Division

That's because it's an RPG!

14 hours ago, g wings said:

I love the feel of it, don't get me wrong. I just know I won't be arsed doing anything other than online and my brief experience with randoms doesn't give me much hope that I'm going to experience much but frustration. Shame.

I can see it being a problem with randoms. Im hoping you will be able to have multiple characters in the end version as I have too much free time and want to have a seperate playthrough for co-op with friends and solo on my own. Rather than play with randoms, id rather just tell the AI to hold position miles away while i try the missions on my own. Still not sold on the overall game to be fair, i do like the stealth but 21 provinces of potentially repetitive mission structure is putting me off somewhat. 

Is there a list anywhere about the types of missions and whats involved?  If its just go here, kill bad guys take item, take to there, every mission then I don't think I will buy it.

1 hour ago, Cool Ben said:

Is there a list anywhere about the types of missions and whats involved?  If its just go here, kill bad guys take item, take to there, every mission then I don't think I will buy it.

It is very much "go here kill bad guys take item". Ultimately an outpost clearing game, with a few added extras such as hostages, vehicles that need stealing, targets that need interrogating etc. 

That said, I felt the fun was in having to actually think about how you're going to clear each base. If you run in all guns blazing, very often you'd find yourself outnumbered and overwhelmed.

• Upvote 1

I don't think lack of different mission objectives is a bad thing if the game is systemically deep and allows the player enough freedom. Far Cry 2 is a classic and all missions were - thankfully - of the basic 'kill this person', 'reach this object' or 'blow this thing up' variety. It's one of the best things about the game.

Get too prescriptive and you end up going down a linear path a la Far Cry 3 instead of giving the player a deliberately simple mission framework in which to express themselves. Far Cry 3's story missions are shit. The outpost clearing is where it shines.

I'm not saying Wildlands necessarily has the systemic depth of which I speak but, in an open world game of this nature, uniquley-crafted missions often limit the experience.

• Upvote 2

Guys I've just found a bug. If you go to claim your 800 free credits in the store you can download it as many times as you want. Got 30000 Ghost Recon points at the moment. Worth about £100!

Give it a try!

25 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Guys I've just found a bug. If you go to claim your 800 free credits in the store you can download it as many times as you want. Got 30000 Ghost Recon points at the moment. Worth about £100!

Give it a try!

How do you do it?

I cant find any thing about free credits, shows as £3.99 for me

• Upvote 1