rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Do 71

Unravel

This is starting to sound a lot like Never Alone which also relied heavily on physics based platforming and was riddled with bugs to boot. Ugh. 

Is Unravel going to be the third title to complete the unholy trinity of 'crap platforming games'? (the other being LittleBigPlanet and Never Alone of course)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm on level 4 of this and I still haven't decided if I like it or not. On the one hand it looks incredible, and has a relaxed pace which it shares with the Trine games.

On the other, parts of it manage to be boring and frustrating at the same time, and the emotional plot stuff feels a bit glib.

If I'd waited and payed half what I did I'd probably be much better disposed towards it, but I'll keep playing regardless.

Also those gnats on level 3 can fuck right off.

On 11 February 2016 at 6:22 PM, VN1X said:

This is starting to sound a lot like Never Alone which also relied heavily on physics based platforming and was riddled with bugs to boot. Ugh. 

Is Unravel going to be the third title to complete the unholy trinity of 'crap platforming games'? (the other being LittleBigPlanet and Never Alone of course)

What? Are you saying there have only ever been 3 shit platform games?

This is brilliant, absolutely loving it.  Have done the first 8 levels so far.  I am not moving onto the next level until I have found all the secrets and completed it in one go without dyeing.

I can't say I have experienced any issues with the platforming or physics so far either

Its just a charming game for me

Been playing this all day and really enjoying it. Up to level 8 as well (got all the secrets on each level but I'm not good enough to complete each level without dying!) There's been one or two slightly frustrating parts but overall its just a really nice game.

Playing it on Xbox and I think it looks fantastic.

1 hour ago, Trumpets said:

Also those gnats on level 3 can fuck right off.

This I agree with, especially as I didn't realise until finishing the level that you could shoo them away with the yarn! :lol:

Just finished this. Level 3 almost put me off entirely, being some of the most frustratingly unreliable platforming I've experienced in a while. It gets a lot better after that, but always feels like a weird mismatch of LBP cuteness and Limbo bleakness.

Just finished it, really enjoyed it.  The only annoying part was on Chapter 11.

Got every achievement.  Game hub says I played for 11hrs 21 minutes

Hoping for some DLC although I suspect it is unlikely

I've finished this now. It's an odd game really, very low-octane and it doesn't really work either as a platformer or a puzzle game.

I wish they'd found more things to do with the yarn trail, but you've pretty much seen all the game's tricks by level 3 and after that it was just the nice atmosphere and beautiful visuals that kept me playing. Even Limbo, which was three hours long, felt the need to change things up a bit now and again.

Also, the last level was such a blatant...

Spoiler

...Journey...

...rip-off/homage that I can't believe they did it. It's even used in the same story context!

I was concerned after mentions of LBP style floatyness (Always hated the movement in those games) but finished today and very much up for replays to platinum it. The visuals and general mood throughout was wonderful and I love the gentle / laid back nature of it. Price was spot on for a game like this. Hope they did well out of it. Such passion projects are a bit of a rarity and I'll happily encourage them. 

The difficulty curve in this is all over the place. Level 3 seemed to throw every trick the game has at you, only for many of the subsequent levels to reuse those techniques without any more of a challenge. Seems a strange way of pacing it.

Well I've been loving this, but the level in the snow where you push the lantern can fuck right off. Doesn't help that after a certain cut scene it has crashed on me twice as well. Tempted to put it to one side for now and regroup.

This is half price on xbox one at the moment, I've done the first five levels and loved all of it so far, it's such  a lovely game. 

Just grabbed this on EA Access, oh my word it looks nice. Really enjoying playing it with the kids. It's so slow, it's actually something they can all help with by pointing out where I should go next.

Probably haven't got far enough yet to hit the platforming foibles others have noted, but lovely/10 so far.

• Upvote 2