IGNORED

Sea of Thieves

mechamonkey

57 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

If I wanted to play this with my son, me on pc him on my xbox, can we do it? He has a kids account on my xbox. 

yes, no problem, just need to be xbox live pals, VOIP can be a bit fiddly, 

Does anyone find themselves parleying quite often? 

I find ourselves getting into tussles and often ending the fight with an alliance. 

This seems to be quite common, which is great to be honest. Lowers the fear of being obliterated haha. Obliteration has happened to us too mind... The scurvy dogs. 

Ok it doesn’t seem as simple as all that.

I signed in on his account on my Xbox (it’s just a dummy account tied to one of my emails so he could have his own Xbox account) but it says the person who owns the game needs to sign in (it’s via gamepass). 

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Ok it doesn’t seem as simple as all that.

I signed in on his account on my Xbox (it’s just a dummy account tied to one of my emails so he could have his own Xbox account) but it says the person who owns the game needs to sign in (it’s via gamepass). 

Have you not made your Xbox your home Xbox?

• 3 weeks later...

So figured out all the above shenanigans and have been playing this with my nine year old and what fun it’s been - he loves it! 

We’ve completed the first two Pirates of the Caribbean tall tales and they were both great, apart from the second (Sunken Pearl) bugging out twice, forcing us to restart! 

I bought him a red whippet he wanted as his pet, which he named Biscuit. He bought some new gear and is now looking more pirate and less castaway, so he’s happy 😃 

Four Pirates of the Caribbean tall tales done and great fun so far! 

Tonight ended with us handing in a few bits of treasure at the outpost and, as headed back to our sloop, saw another sloop firing cannons at our ship. My son distracted them whilst I swam aboard, killing both players. Then we raided all their stuff: a gem and three skulls. We killed them another few times as our ship sank, then they came ashore and got killed once more for good measure. Sadly they finally got both of us and when we respawned, we were at a different outpost. 

Still, my son’s first experience of players vs player in anything and he thoroughly enjoyed it, he kept saying “I can’t believe we’re fighting real life players and winning!” :D 

Finished up the last Pirates of the Caribbean tall tale and what an epic finale it was! My son was shooting cannons, patching holes, harpooning supplies whilst I sailed us through lightning and ghost ships and cannon fire, leading us to victory against Davey Jones, the old bilge rat. 

Next we’re going to do the other tall tales and then focus on the basic missions. Really nice to see they’ve varied enemies up now - not just skellies any more (always my biggest complaint apart from lack of story stuff - thankfully also fixed thanks to tall tales), but ghosts and crawler people. Sure, fighting any enemy basically amounts to the same pretty shoddy combat, but it’s lovely to see the variety and having to think slightly differently. 

What’s something else really cool we can do together in game? Any epic quest or super rare ship bits or clothing we can hunt down? Anything that isn’t just the basic faction missions of “sail here, grab that, sail back”. 

Speaking of, is there anything no longer in game that we can’t get whatsoever? I see some previously time-limited stuff is now on the pirate emporium (also, £20 for a full ship set? Holy shit!). 

It’s great to be back sailing the sea. 

I bought one of the potions to rejig my character. He was always alright, but never really stood out and was a bit small. Thankfully, after much re-generating pirates, I found one that is basically the in-game version of me, so I was very happy 😆 

Captain Kelsten, glad to be back sailing the seas. 

0665BA31-CACF-4107-82F6-8DC66EC5F9CE.thumb.png.3c2a441e2ac0696dd1421713462def3d.png

12 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

@mechamonkey @Boothjan are you both still playing? Would love to crew up again! 

Yep - taking a bit of a break over the next few weeks as I'm getting married next week so loads to sort, but once I'm back from honeymoon, season 7 will be out so I'll be back playing regularly again.  Please do let me know if you want to crew up as I'd be well up for joining.

I'd recommend exploring the Sunken Kingdom for something a bit different.  A nice mixture of exploration, combat with gorgeous environments, plenty of coral loot which is worth a fair bit.  And if you manage to complete everything, you get the Curse of Sunken Sorrow which looks awesome.  The very last mission you have to do is only unlocked once you've found all the journals in all the sunken shrines and treasuries, and it's a bit of a dull mission, but you only need to do it once to get the curse.

Here's my son and I showing off our curses! 

fdd9d217-5e1e-40db-81fe-a548af3d5c1c_0.png

The pirates of the caribbean tall tales are so buggy, even over a year later! I'm going back and mopping up some commendations solo to get all the unique stuff - or at least I'm trying to! The second mission, 'The Sunken Pearl' has crashed back to desktop 3 times and it won't register me reading the silver blade captain journals (stuck at 1/5 despite finding and reading all 5 twice now!). It's pretty frustrating because restarted the mission is a 10 minute sailing trip, a 2 min dive to the bottom of the ocean and a few fights only to discover nope, it's bugged again!

I've not played much this year, concentrating on getting through my pile of shame so I've been spending those hundreds of hours elsewhere sadly. Still up for a trip around though, I've still got to do that final voyage for the siren Curse!
Great news and good luck @Boothjan !

27 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Quick question on the photos up thread, were both of those taken by another player? Is there any way to get screen shots like that on your own if you are playing on a Series X?

Generally you can move the camera round while you emote

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

@moosegrinder do you still play, you scurvy scallywag? 

I'm quite happy to jump on if someone's around. I tended to play with my nephew but he's got stupid things like a job and a girlfriend and shit now so I haven't played for a while. I do like that there's no kind of skill progression so you're never left behind if you're a slacker like me.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

Quick question on the photos up thread, were both of those taken by another player? Is there any way to get screen shots like that on your own if you are playing on a Series X?

What Monkey says - also, if you press LT whilst emoting, it zooms in, RT zooms out so you can get some cool close up selfies.  You can also hide the UI in the settings so you don't get the player names above each pirate/pet.

Managed to get to rank 40 in the plunder pass over the last few days, but there's two weeks left and I go on holiday for a week tomorrow! 

Ghost Forts are brilliant - snack-size pirating for decent rewards and well worth doing. Currently renown 35, 32 and 24 with the gold hoarders, order of souls and merchant's alliance, respectively...so close and yet so, so far from pirate legend :lol:

Quite enjoying the fishing tbh - it's a bit fiddly on PC with mouse and keyboard, but it's super relaxing.

Ghost Forts and the new Veil Pirate Legend voyages are the best ways to level up quickly IMO.

My son managed to get PL a month or so back, he got through the levels remarkably quickly!!  If you manage to get a good, competent crew, you can progress a hell of a lot.

It's also worth raising an emissary flag and concentrating on that faction.  The lost shipments voyages for the Merchant Alliance are also good - you can easily get Emissary Level 5 in about half an hour doing one of those, with a load of cash if you manage to find the key to the captain's cabin and grab everything in it.

We are 1 level off pirate legend and are about 85 hours deep. 

We pretty much start with a couple of sea forts, then do whatever the quest we picked up is. Spent half the time doing gold hoarders but we do whatever we come across along the way. A couple of world events here and there. 

It has all felt very natural if I am totally honest. Just a blast. We haven't played much the last few weeks, but we are planning to session this weekend so very excited! 

On 08/03/2022 at 15:04, Boothjan said:

I have decided I'm going to try and get to Level 100 in Season 6.  I've loved being back on the seas, playing with both my son and my best mate and aim to play much more regularly, so if anyone on here needs a crewmate, I will try to play as often as I can.  I don't think either my son or my friend have even been on a brig or a galleon either - we've yet to all crew up together so they've no idea just how amazing it can be when you're in a full crew.

I had a quick look on my stats and there are some Bilge Rat commendations that I've not even started.  I've not done a single one of the Ashen Winds section for example.  I still have a hell of a lot of stuff to work towards that have built up in my time away from the game.

But damn, it's such fun and when you dip your toe back into it, it's incredibly easy to lose yourself in the world all over again.

Just wanted to echo this. I’ve long loved sea of thieves, especially those days I got really into it with you and mechamonkey, but this time I’m all in. I’d avoided playing solo as it always felt too lonely and too much effort, but playing with my son has been grand fun! In my downtime I’ve been watching videos, listening to the audio book, signed up for the insider programme and started watching Black Sails again (goddamn, I love that show) and literally cannot wait to get back from holiday to play again. Sadly I don’t have anywhere near enough gold to buy my own ship yet, but it’s something to work towards! 

• mechamonkey changed the title to Sea of Thieves