Sea of Thieves

mechamonkey

Yeah, I kid but you're right.  It's the right thing to do.

Has anyone on here ever seen the bloody thing?

Really looking forward to playing the new adventure after I finish work!

• 2 weeks later...

The new pirate legend voyage is absolutely superb. Manages to combine all the very best things about the game, plenty of cool loot to earn and adds a lot to the lore of the game.

I managed to beat the shrouded ghost on Friday so allowed myself to play the PL content as it follows on from the adventure perfectly. 

In other SoT news, my 13 year old son is now hooked! We spend so much time talking about it and planning voyages. It's ace. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am a very proud Dad - last night, my son got Pirate Legend.  He waited until I was available to play and we did a Merchant's lost shipment voyage to get him over the line for the Merchant's Alliance.

He's absolutely caned this game over the past few weeks - his Athena's Fortune rank is above mine somehow!!

The Legend of the Veil voyages are perfect for a quick couple of hours so we're going to play a lot more of them to get as high as we can on Athena's Fortune.

That's cool. 

I love the veil missions, lv5 flag once your finished and then claim the emissary mission after. And its all quicker than doing a normal Athena mission where you're lucky to get a lv3 flag.

Interested in the new mystery, I see that there was a clue already in the latest video.

Yeah the Veil voyages are probably my favourites.  A really good mixture of combat, ship skills, exploration and riddles and like you say, when you've got the emissary flag up, it's a guaranteed level 5 if you can avoid sinking!  And you can solo it (though the last chapter is tricky on your own).

The mysteries sound very cool - wonder if there'll be commendations for them?

Cool idea - I heard them say in the podcast that the players will decide what happens to Golden Sands, and the devs will create whatever the outcome is.

I'll be fighting for Golden Sands - I really miss that outpost!!

My son and I will be logging on this evening - #savegoldensands

These limited time adventures have been really good - plenty of variety in them and the story is intriguing. 

They've nailed the lore in this game, particularly recently.

Hmm, I actually think this adventure is a bit disappointing.

Hunter's Quest: It's pretty much a basic cargo quest.  Felt rather underwhelming upon completion.

Reaper's Quest: Infuriatingly finicky with the rowboats - you can't have your ship too near the islands you need to collect stuff or the NPC won't show up, so the best way to ensure this doesn't happen is to row between islands.  Which takes AGES.  Sometimes it bugs out for other reasons.

You can do each of these in about an hour if it doesn't glitch out, but even then you won't be making more than a couple of thousand gold so the rewards are very stingy indeed.

The IDEA of this is awesome - the players' actions actively changing the world permanently - but in practise, this is IMO the weakest of the adventures so far which is a shame.

We did both last night, and then ended with a Veil quest which ended in an EPIC battle with a Reaper's emissary sloop which must have lasted an hour - they stole our Athena Chest and we somehow managed to stay afloat and steal the chest back before selling it.  That was heaps better than the adventure stuff we did.

• 2 weeks later...

My son and I unlocked the Curse of Sunken Sorrow last night - looks awesome!

image.thumb.png.91986cb53ef4a66597558a21931d518b.png

The voyage itself is a bit of a drag though, a lot of travelling from one side of the map to another.

Also looking forward to seeing which side wins the Battle for Golden Sands.  Can't say I mind either way as long as the resolution is interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally tried this tonight with a friend. Was really unsure how it was going to go but holy moly. Incredible! 

We didn't even do anything but loved it. 4 hours of just exploring, sailing and looting. Was excellent. Going to be putting at least a couple of nights in a week for sure. 

How much content is there to see? It seems massive, and it looks like there are campaigns and stuff, but in terms of general of activities and madness is there a lot? It certainly seems so! 

Also, do you all play together? Would love to play/co-operate! 

Second night on the Sea of Thieves... Me and my pal see a Galleon chasing a Sloop, and we fancy learning some PvP, so go to chase... After 15 minutes of chasing and the odd person from the Galleon trying to sneak on board my pal goes AFK, but one of the Sloop pirates comes aboard and asks for our help to stop the Galleon. I agree and the fight begins... I manage to survive multiple boardings and canon shots to the ship, and after 20 minutes of fighting, we manage to take it down.

I mean, what a fucking second day. That shit almost felt scripted by IW in 2007 it was that good.

My pal came back to execute the last remaining pirate from the Galleon. I refused any compensation, but they offered to form an alliance to share some of the loot when they cashed it in. We ended up getting 50k plus a tonne of faction levels. 

Amazing experience. 

Glad you had a nice experience on this - I played with some family last night and they were restless after a few minutes.

We picked a treasure hunt, sailed there, searched for treasure, got bombarded by skeletons, died a lot and... That was kinda it. 

We tried a tall tale (one of the missions from the outpost) but it wouldn't load for some reason and we couldn't find what else to really do.

Any tips? It seemed very empty, or rather - not immediately obvious what we were meant to do. If the gameplay loop is mostly delivering chickens / goods and / or digging up treasure then I think it might not be for me :(

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

Any tips? It seemed very empty, or rather - not immediately obvious what we were meant to do. If the gameplay loop is mostly delivering chickens / goods and / or digging up treasure then I think it might not be for me :(

Honestly, there's SO much to do that it depends how long your session is, how many of you are playing, if you want to explore a bit of the lore of the world, if you want to make lots of gold, if you want to gain renown for the season, if you want to try out some PVP etc etc.

It's definitely way more involved than just doing cargo runs and digging up treasure!

Maybe try out the Maiden Voyage from the front end to get the basics?

I've been away from it for at least a year but still hold it up as the best co-op experience in gaming. It's been hugely added to over the years but is still a game about having a fun with friends be they old or new. 

@Simmy This is purely based on hundreds of hours playing it but it always starts slow to ease you in, within an hour you will see it start to throw random stuff at your crew whilst on the seas. Storms, Megalodons, Skeleton ships. It's a long haul game, not a quick 30 minute pick up and drop type design. Only after a voyage of at least a couple of hours will you understand what its about. Leading to hundreds of hours if it grabs you. It's really about who you play with and comes to life once the screaming, infighting, arguments, idiocy and laughs start.

:"I've fallen off the boat"

"Sorry lads I shot a gunpowder barrel down below during a storm whilst we were getting attacked by a skeleton galleon."

"Somebody fix the boat while I stand here shouting orders."

"There's somebody on the boat!"

"Shark !!!!!"

It's more than possible to have a boring session on it where nothing much seems to happen but fortune favours the bold and attacking other ships or going after a fort elevates it and shows the possibilities far better. It only takes one good session with a good crew to show its good side.

@Simmy

I think my friend and me had low expectations to be honest, and it has blown us both away. 

After our encounter yesterday we were about to sign off handed some loot in, then he found some washed up, which had us chasing another island, then we ended up heading towards a POI, which led to another island and then back to an outpost. Ended up being another 90 minutes of exploring. 

I think as the others have stated, there is tonnes to do, but for us it is the moment to moment that makes it. I think we both find alot of fun in being able to take over the wheel when we need to nip to the loo, make a drink, and so on, whilst continuing to play, rather than staying still and having a break. That also adds to the tension, as when on your own for even a few minutes, everything can go to shit. 

• 2 weeks later...

I shall be jumping into this tomorrow evening at the latest.

In other news, I've reached max level 75 for Gold Hoarders, Order of Souls and Merchant's Alliance in the past week.  A lot of Emissary-ing!

Also - I need to brag about a rather awesome bit of piracy the other night.

I'm not the best at PVP on this - I always play on Xbox Controllers only servers to give me the best possible chance, and TBH I tend to avoid other players as much as I can.

But I was solo slooping and got attacked by a galleon.  Normally, I would just accept that I'm fucked and quit before too long, but I thought I'd at least put up some kind of a fight, so I lured them towards a rock, raised my sails so my ship stopped, jumped off my ship, boarded theirs, blew up 2 gunpowder barrels they had foolishly stored on the bottom deck and firebombed 2 of them.  

Then I hid using the barrel disguise and as they tried to patch and bail upon respawning, I kept killing them until eventually they sank.

I've never once taken down a galleon on my own before so felt very smug - they must have been an open crew because there's no way I should have survived!

Managed to pinch a fair bit of treasure too and went off on my merry way.

Go on @Boothjan!!!

I have found out one of my favourite things to do is just waste other pirates time...

The past few days we have been slaying the emissary levels. 55 with Gold Hoarders, and nearly 50 with Merchant and Reapers, but lunchtime today...

We were just chilling, on our way, about to do a vault (but had nee treasure) when another sloop, with the Athena flag tries to sneak up on us. We have next to nothing left as we have fought two other sloops who attacked us, so we decided reet! Lets just bail, let them chase, we will board and just waste their time. 

We did tell them afterall we had nothing other than a grade 3 flag... but they would not listen. 

45 minutes chasing later, we are close to work hours again, so we drag them to an outpost. Sell the couple of chests we have, and lower our flag... you know... the totally none salty, none weasel thing to do. 

We then scuttle our ship, and as they dock, we manage to kill the pair of them, we set their boat on fire, and just camped the respawn. Call us awful salty dogs, but we tried to bargain... we tried! 

One sunken ship later, and nearly an hour wasted of both groups time, I feel like we came out the victors! 

I love being a salty stallion scurvy durg sometimes. It is just class. 

We have played 70 hours in just under two weeks. The game is a fucking treat!!!