IGNORED

Sea of Thieves

mechamonkey

1 hour ago, Paul3704 said:

We respawned, and set sail quickly for the island hoping to retrieve our treasure but with low expectations, my daughter left our party and joined the party of the guy who killed us.

What ever she said worked! When we got to the island, he was in a row boat in the middle of the sea with all the treasure, both ours and his. He promptly sailed over to us, tied the rowboat to our brig and unloaded the treasure back into our hold whilst Yiggy and I looked on dumbfounded.

Mental! Did you find out what she told them?

On 16/02/2021 at 09:31, Paul3704 said:

Had a slightly weird game last night with Yiggy and my daughter.

Started off peaceful enough, doing a couple of souls quests on local islands. Saw a sloop that kind of followed us, but thought nothing of it, until we finished the last skull and he attacked us, bastard style.

We fired back and managed to sink his ship, but he managed to sneak aboard, kill us three and sink our ship which fucked us all off slightly (my daughter was RAGING!!).

We respawned, and set sail quickly for the island hoping to retrieve our treasure but with low expectations, my daughter left our party and joined the party of the guy who killed us.

What ever she said worked! When we got to the island, he was in a row boat in the middle of the sea with all the treasure, both ours and his. He promptly sailed over to us, tied the rowboat to our brig and unloaded the treasure back into our hold whilst Yiggy and I looked on dumbfounded.

Suspicion was high, but Jaya was asking us not to kill him so we warily worked around him with the plan of going to sell our loot. He suggested raiding a fort, which I think none of us had done before and it was getting late, but we decided in for a penny...

The new guy joined our party (but not our crew), guided us to a Fort, told us where to anchor so we wouldn't get cannoned and attacked with us. After a grind that lasted forever, we won!

He helped us load up the treasure and followed us back to an Outpost, joined by his mate following alongside in a sloop which made us all super paranoid as we expected to be attacked at any minute - but he didn't and helped carry the mountain of treasure to the store where he dropped it so we could cash it in at just before 2am.

A great night, earning commendations, achievements, renown and oodles of cash!

Ha! Great write up of the batshit mental events of that eve. 

Just to add he spent the entire fort raid talking to his mate on our chat channel trying to convince him not to kill us and that we were ‘trustworthy’ with him being placated by our promise that he could shoot us all and burn our ship once we had cashed in!

On 16/02/2021 at 10:32, Meers said:

Mental! Did you find out what she told them?

No idea but I know I’m never getting into an argument with her. It was like that bit in silence of the lambs where Hannibal Lector talks the chap in the next cell into swallowing his own tongue. :)

• 3 weeks later...

This game is so frustrating to play casually and just enjoys wasting your time. A few months ago we started the tall tales, did the shroud breaker and a few others. Not it says I have no checkpoints and the only quest I can start is the shroud breaker one again. We just want to carry on from where we was before but can’t and even finding out if we can or can’t is an hour of sailing between islands to find the right book to see if we can start it. So am I doing something wrong or basically does it think we haven’t done any of the quests?

9 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Yeah did that and just says. No checkpoints found.

Okay, so I think I know what’s happening. 

The game only saves a checkpoint if you are part way through a tall take. Once you’ve finished a tall tale the checkpoints are gone. So if the last thing you did was finishing a tall tale then you won’t have anything. 

Once you’ve finished one it marks it as done in your progress as described above. 

Yeah that’s what I’ve read, however when I go to any of the books on other islands I can’t access them, only the original shroudbreaker one. Upon starting the game I have no books or anything in my inventory and if I start the shroudbreaker one it only shows that original mission in the book despite doing at least 2/3 missions after this.

I know this question will probably be a pain in the arse to answer but can someone explain what this game is?

I've downloaded it countless times, always booted it up with a different mate thinking ok we will run through the tutorial and learn the mechanics etc and if I recall, the first mission is to deliver chickens and we kinda just... Get lost, and never finish it.

Is it fetch and deliver quests mostly? Is there loads to do in this game? Or is it like.. I dunno, Animal Crossing or Minecraft or so where it kinda is what you make of it?

Any help would be much appreciated... It's something I really want to try to get in to but I just don't think I understand what the game is about!

Nope, you'll be fine. I started playing around Christmas, and I love it - partly because of some of the good folk on here showing you what to do.

The daughter and I jump on most Wednesday evenings, you're welcome to come and join us.

1 hour ago, Simmy said:

I know this question will probably be a pain in the arse to answer but can someone explain what this game is?

I've downloaded it countless times, always booted it up with a different mate thinking ok we will run through the tutorial and learn the mechanics etc and if I recall, the first mission is to deliver chickens and we kinda just... Get lost, and never finish it.

Is it fetch and deliver quests mostly? Is there loads to do in this game? Or is it like.. I dunno, Animal Crossing or Minecraft or so where it kinda is what you make of it?

Any help would be much appreciated... It's something I really want to try to get in to but I just don't think I understand what the game is about!

Sea of Thieves can best be described as a first person fuck abouter. You might benefit from joining in with a group in here to get some sort of idea on the scope of the game and how to structure your time.

Last night my crew and I assembled at 2200 to catch some Battlegills. We're doing that because the current seasonal event is based around fishing, where they give you a series of deeds to complete and various prizes depending on how many you tick off. You can check out the daily events and current seasonal events, including your progress through them here at the official website.

Now Battlegills are little shit fish who only spawn near an active skeleton fort or next to a skeleton ship. Good luck fishing whilst engaged in combat with a ship. As we waited for a fort to become active we decided to help one of our crew reach level 50 in the Merchant Guild so he could become a legendary pirate. As we stocked up on supplies for our voyage and signed up the the guild, a sloop approached the outpost and fired one of their crew towards us. A sure sign of impending attack. However he just wanted us to join an alliance and tick off some of the Plunder (season) Pass deeds. So we joined the alliance and went about doing cargo runs. The other crew benefited when we handed stuff in and vice versa.

After two and a half hours of no Battlegill sightings we decided to hit the nearest seapost and sell our other assorted catches of the evening. As we were sailing there we noticed a giant skull in the sky with red eyes. Alas, this is the Fort of the Damned and the one fort that Battlegills won't spawn near. Still, we decided to see if that was actually true and head over anyway.

As we approached we could see it was our alliance ship mates who had started the fight, so whilst some of the crew tried the fishing, the rest of us rushed into battle against the skeleton hordes. It's a vicious fight and you can expect to die a lot, which led to me being confused when I respawned on a lovely sunny beach instead of my ship that I'm sure was docked up at the fort.

Surely one of the gunpowder skellies didn't get close enough to put a hole in the ship? That was unlucky. I prepped the ship and started heading back but checking the map I also saw our alliance members ship steaming back towards the fort from a different island. Both ships destroyed, that's double unlucky.

As we approached and with the rest of the crew back on board, we spotted a sneaky brig, hidden just off the coast of the fort, using their cannons to scale the cliffs, avoiding the docks. Those sneaky bastards sunk us and were trying to steal the glory. We were combat ready in and instant and sent their ship to the bottom of the ocean just as our alliance showed up, giving us cheers of support for crushing the cowards. If they were still on the island. they'd have a long journey back after dying.

As we continued the fight against Graymarrow and his skeleton army we kept spotting the cowards in the distance, thinking of getting back into the action. We would fire shots off from both ships to let them know that we knew what they were up to. They did once sneak around the back again, parking up at the same place and swimming to our ship to steal treasure but we got wise and sailed back to their hiding place to sink them once more. At that point with Graymarrow defeated we left one crew member on the island to help transfer all the loot to the alliance sloop whilst we used out ship to circle the fort and act as a guard. Loot secured we sailed off in convoy to cash in for the evening, taking the time to play music and drink grog with our new friends whilst showing off our pets.

It hasn't occurred to me until now but what if it was the cowards who put the effort in to start the event and our alliance members murdered them first? Surely we can't be the bad guys...

TL;DR It's the best game. Don't go Merchant Guild quests first as they're the least interesting until you go after the manifests. Just go on a treasure hunt or go after a skeleton captain.

6 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Sea of Thieves can best be described as a first person fuck abouter.

:lol:

I'm annoyed I can't pos this twice.  That's the best description of Sea of Thieves I've ever read.  Spot on, sir.

What is Sea of Thieves ?

It is indeed the best game. 

You can't compare to other franchises which are just iterations of previous versions or other categories of games. SoT is it's own thing. It doesn't fit any categories unlike 99% of games which have numerous versions with different names and skins.  It's unique, unpredictable, unequalled and misunderstood. It's horizontal levelling system means its unlike any other games where you level up, Many cannot understand this phenomena in a world of identikit titles across the various genres of gaming. 

It's a game about sailing on a boat with your friends and having adventures. It's a sandbox of opportunity and a playground of potential. It's never the same twice be that who you're playing with, what you encounter or who you encounter. I will just say that its a game designed to be played for hours at a time. The longer your session the more you will encounter. 

Just fuckin play it......:blah:

Another echo of it being the best game, a great laugh and unique in being a complete time wasting faff about title. 

And I'm still wondering how they keep the waves from clipping through the hull of the ship. Have you ever wondered that yourself? I have. It's black magic. And those waves too. Mesmerising. 

I didn't have time over the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back soon!

@Boozy The Clown, my son (2,5 yo) is still talking about you whenever it's raining out. "Boozie storm on boat. Boozie pirate in storm. Boozie say hallo!" (But then in Dutch obviously). :D

Yeah as a novice to the game, I would say you need to prepare for three things. 

One is that sessions tend to last a while. It's hard to put down once you start and you tend to end up playing for 3-4 hours. I only boot it up if I've got an evening free, which does unfortunately limit my time with it, but when you so devote that time to it, you have fun. 

Two is that it's "always-on" PVP. For some reason, people hate this even when its an essential part of the game and the pirate ethos. I despair at those who say they wish they could turn it off. That's where a lot of the apprehension, fear and tension come from. 

Third is that you need to prepare to have your time "wasted" in the traditional sense. You can easily go on a quest, or several, that takes a few hours, amass a small fortune and then lose it all when you finally decide to cash in and encounter a fatal mishap. You need to resign yourself to that. 

Fortunately, progression is completely flat. You haven't lost powerful upgrades, you haven't really lost progress and it won't make you any worse off on your next voyage. I'm unconvinced by the lure and temptation of purely cosmetic upgrades (they aren't that much of a motivation for me, as I'm still entwined in games like Destiny and their lust for power) but they do mean that each session starts off on a fair, level pegging. The "progression" is really what others have mentioned - the fucking about. That's the aim of the game. If you have some memorable disasters, frustrating human encounters of defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory fuck-ups, *that's* the game. It's not the random, samey skull or chest you can cash in at the end. 

I really need to go back to it. My problem is when my partner is around, I just can't commit to a long session. And I don't have any crewmates due to the time difference. 

I had my first four-man crew on the weekend and we crewed a galleon for the first time, she’s quite a handful! We did a skeleton fort and reaped massive amounts of treasure. 

I will say - I find the combat to be unsatisfying. Actually, movement in general has no real sense of kinetic pleasure. So standing around on an island, blasting skeletons who have unimaginative AI while running back and fourth to the ammo crate while waves and waves of enemies spawn in is... boring. 

The game is most fun on the ship - piloting, firing the cannons, generally running around like a headless chicken with a bucket and planks of wood in your hand. It’s fun because of the people you play with. 

• mechamonkey changed the title to Sea of Thieves