IGNORED

Sea of Thieves

mechamonkey

Gave this a try for the first time and played through the opening section. 

Not sure it’s really grabbed me yet. The menus feel really clunky and the on-screen button prompts very ugly. And why is all the writing in a horrible serif font? Makes it feel really dated and quite hard to read. 

Not going to give up on it yet but doesn’t feel that accessible to me. 

29 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Think I'm going to jump on tonight and start bashing some skellies so I can make some progress in this event.  Not been on for a week!!

I'm on tonight as well with 2 others, want to join us? Then I'll throw a galleon in the water. :D

18 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

That would be splendid - time TBC but would love to crew up again if I'm on at a convenient time!

I'm an hour ahead and I'm off to bed at 22:45 CET so you'd better not be too late! :P

On 06/02/2021 at 21:29, OneDvBmbr said:

Gave this a try for the first time and played through the opening section. 

Not sure it’s really grabbed me yet. The menus feel really clunky and the on-screen button prompts very ugly. And why is all the writing in a horrible serif font? Makes it feel really dated and quite hard to read. 

Not going to give up on it yet but doesn’t feel that accessible to me. 

Did you actually press the start button ?

2 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Did you actually press the start button ?

Well I clearly did as I said I’d played the Maiden Voyage section. 

Maybe most games look this way, the Series X is my first non-Nintendo console since the 360 but I was just a bit underwhelmed with the presentation based on first impressions. Clearly not all games that the good old Nintendo “seal of quality”, but I just think the menus could be a bit cleaner, that’s all. 

Will see how I get on with a bit more play time. 

5 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Well I clearly did as I said I’d played the Maiden Voyage section. 

Maybe most games look this way, the Series X is my first non-Nintendo console since the 360 but I was just a bit underwhelmed with the presentation based on first impressions. Clearly not all games that the good old Nintendo “seal of quality”, but I just think the menus could be a bit cleaner, that’s all. 

Will see how I get on with a bit more play time. 

Yeah don't listen to him. He can be a bit grumpy. ;)

I mean I can't really connect with what you mean on the presentation as to me its fine but then I'm used to it. What I will say is that whilst the maiden voyage is a good start to understand the basic controls it doesn't really give you huge amount of mechanics so you are probably better off watching a recent (make sure its recent) beginners guide on Youtube or whatever. 

Or if you can join a crew (maybe from here) you will probably learn more in a guided session than you will from anything else 

Were you intending to play with certain people you know? Playing with randoms? Or playing on your own? 

Messed my timings up last night - sorry I was too late to join :(

Did a solo OoS voyage to get stuck into the new event - did okay but noticed a sloop following wherever I docked.  Went to an outpost and sold a few skulls but then realised the sloop was approaching so I got the fuck out of there.  These guys then chased me for the next HOUR :lol: FFS guys, come on!  Leave me alone!!

It eventually got to my bedtime and I realised they weren't giving up so I thought 'fuck it' - did a u-turn and engaged them in combat.  2 v 1 and I've never been the best at PvP.  Then my mast got blown off - when the hell did they add that feature????!  The fight was only going one way after that.  I hid below deck and killed one of them with a blunderbuss shot to the face when he boarded and tried to find me, then jumped over the side, boarded their ship and killed the other whilst he was blowing the shit out of my poor boat.  The other one respawned and I killed him again, then threw a firebomb at the 2nd and killed him.  4 kills 0 deaths is unheard of for me!

But my demise was inevitable and then managed to kill me and when I loaded back in, my boat was as good as sunk.  Tried to kill them from the sea but one of them managed to harpoon me onto the deck and then unload his gun into my face.  Very impressive move!

So that was me done but I sent them a message saying 'fair play - you were persistent - great harpoon work!' and got a nice message back saying I put up an impressive resistance so well played.

See - I have no problem with this sort of thing, it was exciting, there was no griefing and we were able to say 'good game' afterwards.  Yes, I lost about 10 skulls but I wasn't too fussed about that.

I think I'm going to love this. I've been wanting to spend some time with it ever since my Series S arrived and aside from completing the tutorial two or three times I've never got any further.

I find it pretty intimidating and actually quite scary to play but at the same time the consequences seem to be limited to 'you've lost an hours worth of pootling because you pushed yourself too far' which I'm happy to suffer.

That said I'm avoiding crewing up with randoms for at least the next while. The pressure of being barked at to perform tasks I don't know how to achieve by people I don't know is just not my vibe at the moment. I know it's to my detriment but I am really enjoying the logistics and difficulty of playing alone, setting course and running downstairs to check the map, quickly running back up again to take the wheel and course correct, scanning the horizon and doing my best to keep the hell away from the weird glowing stuff in the sky - which surely can't be anything good (and I'll find out myself in my own time) - and fist-pumping a succesful anchor drop close to port.

Couple of lessons learnt from last nights few hours:

- A Chest of Sorrow needs to be placed on board before leaving an island and sold as quickly as possible

- Bounty Skulls glow very very brightly in the night sky so need to be hidden below deck (this made me inordinantly happy to realise)

- Handbrake turns are flipping cool

- The brief moments of respite where the sea is calm and your little sloop responds to your every touch are worth savouring

- USE YOUR MAP AND COMPASS

- Snakes are bastards, absolute bastards

I'm looking forward to encountering other players on the sea. Would I be right in assuming it's actually quite rare to enounter other players in the wild, or is it just that I;m in the starting areas where nobody hangs out anymore?

41 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I tried to join your game last night @Boothjan, but for some reason I was unable to send a request to join (it just failed every time). Not sure what was up with that.

Weird - were you on Xbox?  My settings are for Xbox only - might that have been a reason?  Did you leave me a voice message?  Apologies - I could have used your help!

@friedgold some tips for you:

• If you have another crewmate, get them to hang off the ladder whilst holding the chest of sorrows.  It won't flood the boat when it starts sobbing if you do this
  • Play a shanty to a snake - it'll dance for a few seconds so you can slay the bastard without getting spat on.  This also helps when you've captured one aand are carrying the basket to your ship
  • I have found that if you want to find other players, you won't find them.  If you've got a ship full of loot, you can bet that you'll find some unfriendly scoundrels who will chase you!  (See above.....) The only area you won't find any is the Maiden Voyage mission - otherwise you'll find them anywhere on the map.

Haha, thanks @Boothjan. I have a lot to learn, clearly :lol: It was a good hour or so before I delved into the 'More' area of the menu and saw the fishing rod, tankard etc and a further half hour before I found my clothes chest.

It's got a very unusual vibe and I'm really enjoying just picking at it and seeing what happens. For example, the Chest of Sorrows I gather is worth a reasonable amount of cash for someone just starting out but the poster above who said that a pirates life of hard to earn, easy to lose really struck a chord with me (in fact it was that post that prompted me to give the game another go) so thanks @Parksey. I'm determined not to look anything up unless I'm totally at a loss so I expect to learn a lot more lessons the hard way before I'm even semi-competent. When I am I'll look more into partying up but for now I kind of like being able to take it slow and taking my lumps as and when.

6 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Yeah, XBox Series S, sent you a voice message as well, but the game just wouldn't let me ask you if I could join. It failed every time. I also couldn't join Boozy & co, or Paul2304, but it told me that was because both of those ships were full.

That's annoying.  I think my stepdaughter turned off message notifications which is why I didn't pick it up straight away (she's always on Overwatch!) Sorry again - hopefully we can crew up at some point later this week?

@friedgold Chest of Sorrows is handy when you're low on cash when starting out, but if you manage to crew up with some decent, experienced pirates (who will be more than happy to show you the ropes), you'll earn a fuckload of loot very quickly.

20 hours ago, Paul3704 said:

I'll be on if you're about.

I'm always keeping my eye out for you or anyone else from the club, but I already had a game of 4 going last night, hence no invite. You can always try to join yourself from the friends list though.

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Messed my timings up last night - sorry I was too late to join :(

No worries mate. Better luck next time! :)

32 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

That's annoying.  I think my stepdaughter turned off message notifications which is why I didn't pick it up straight away (she's always on Overwatch!) Sorry again - hopefully we can crew up at some point later this week?

@friedgold Chest of Sorrows is handy when you're low on cash when starting out, but if you manage to crew up with some decent, experienced pirates (who will be more than happy to show you the ropes), you'll earn a fuckload of loot very quickly.

Hmm. I might give it a go then and play as a lowly skivvy for some proper Pirates. Is it worth it without using a mic (I use Remote Play in the living room for most of my Xbox time)?

33 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

That'll probably be why the request to join failed as well- that's pretty much just a notification that someone wants to join rather than a message, so it won't work if notifications are disabled. I'm not sure when I'll be on next though- should hopefully have a lot more free time over next week's half term break.

Thank you for the very brief game, @Paul3704

So sorry I had to bail early - stepdaughter had arranged to play Overwatch with her friends so I had to make way!  Really enjoyed the ghost ship battle though - first time I've done that.  What loot do you get from them?

Anyway, hope to be on again soon when I'll actually be able to talk and not leave suddenly!!

Had a really enjoyable session on this last night. Spent my first half hour so mopping up all the extras on the Maiden Voyage, finding the journals and doing the couple of other little tasks I'd neglected in my haste to get on the open sea. The basic systems are second nature now so it was uneventful but useful compared to my initial flailing.

But that was to be about the only level of success I had in 3 and a half hours of play.

After kitting myself out properly with a new 'do, beard and clothing I decided to learn a little about the Bilge Rats. These guys are my jam - floating about freely doing whatever takes your fancy is exactly how I intend to play the game for the foreseeable so I may as well ally with a faction of similar intent - but for now I had a commission to pick up a lost manifest making my feet itchy so I needed to get on. Larinna can wait, from what I could gather from our brief interaction she'd understand that needs must.

So on I hopped, back to the Sloop (I really need to name it) with my course plotted and my eyeglass ready to spot gulls on the horizon. Thankfully only a few minutes of fairly strtaightforward sailing had passed before I spotted a flock of seagulls fussing over something in the distance. Auspcisious start, I think, even if (looking at my map) it's taking me a reasonably long way away from my course. Hey ho, it's a lost ship, I think, of course it's not going to have followed its charted route.

So due North I sail before pulling up to find the gulls picking over debris and a message in a bottle giving me a few a more details of the ill-fated trip. Another short detour netted me a Bounty Skull and an inventory full of materials, cannonballs and food. The weather by this point has turned quite nasty and pulling a complete 180 proves a little more tricky, but after 10 minutes or so of wrestling with the wheel we're back in business...until something shiny distracts me. The further half hour spent course correcting in ever-decreasing circles was worth it for the two chests of Exotic Silks and Captain's Key, which I'd learnt I'd need to complete my job. Perfect. Or at least until I run aground on a small island I just hadn't seen and waste precious questing time bailing out water and patching up holes.

Three times.

But things settled down and I lowered my sail and was zipping along full speed and unhindered. The weather was calm and boy did it look *glorious*. I hopped onto the prow(?) of my little boat so as to enjoy an unobstructed view...

e71cca56-b5ba-4668-9037-75add0321cea(1).thumb.png.9ad0027499d0d30ff50d2f0bae553b7f.png

Before, in typically over-confident style, I...er...I stacked it, right into the water, watching helplessly as my wee Sloop cut water at full pelt away from me.

119455bb-a0ff-47c6-872f-f77949aa9547.thumb.png.0d53648de75a69eafc9487cd49f5414a.png

I couldn't even be mad, I was genuinely laughing out loud. Thankfully the mermaid helped me out and I was quickly back at the wheel but the image of my helpless and hapless Pirate flailing in the water as my treasure-laden craft recedes into the sunset will live with me for a long time.

After finding another clue I knew where to go, but again was distracted by a small island outpost. Literally a port and a shop with a guy rambling about stars, I'd hoped to flog my Silks to him to at least relieve some of my anxiety, but he wasn't interested at all so I made my excuses and left. You gotta pay me if you want my time, hippy!

Then some ominous music kicks in. Something bad is going to happen and I am in no way prepared for it. Megalodon. A big, purple Megalodon. I can't go over it. I can't go under it. So I'm going to have to run like hell to get away from it. I try a couple of warning shots that miss entirely, so I try harpooning it; hoping I can use some of the momentum it gives me to gather speed I get lucky and quickly make my escape. Now I'm truly back on the trail, heading directly for where I know the final wreck will be, with the end literally in sight and an Outpost to shift all these valuables weighing me down.

Skeleton Ship.

-----

Sorry, this is a dreadful ramble. But the point is that this all came from nothing; just a simple mission request that took its own twists and turns that nobody else will have experienced in the same way. Yeah, it had an ignominious end and I by the measure of a normal game I wasted my time for nothing; but it felt great. My misfortunes were my own, my mistakes will be learned from and my ultimate defeat has just left me thirsty to get back amongst it and revenge myself on the bastard Skellies. What a ridiculous and brilliant game.

2 hours ago, Meers said:

Okay, I'm there as well tonight. When do we set sail?

I can be ready at 19:30 GMT when the kids are in bed.

This should work for me :)

Having a really crappy time with our house move at the moment so I'm looking forward to a bit of down time.

• mechamonkey changed the title to Sea of Thieves