IGNORED

Sea of Thieves

mechamonkey

1 minute ago, McCoy said:

Yeah, it is surely just the start of a concerted move to a permanent income via the Netflix model.  Netflix release a $100m on the service for free, it doesn't mean it is not very good (although it wasn't) but it is just part of the Netflix system to keep people engaged and paying the monthly fee. 

And Netflix contains a shit load of low quality mediocre content. The vast majority of it in fact. 

The big hitters on Netflix will exist also outside that arena, just as Forza will still sell decent numbers at retail for all those folk who don’t want to pay £7.99 a month.

20 minutes ago, linkster said:

the £7.99 set alarm bells with me cos you don’t give away a £50 game unless you’re looking to buy some good will IMO, and I think the lack of content validates that view 

They aren't giving it away if a proportion of the folk who try out gamepass on account of this start to pay out monthly, either because they enjoy this game or for the other current and forthcoming titles - that's the gamble, but it's not a huge one really.   A strong E3 and good quality / varied additions in April / May will help of course.

4 minutes ago, linkster said:

Yeah, indicates how heavily MS is backing it

How does that have any bearing on the quality of the game? There have been plenty of stinkers that have had stupendous amounts of marketing behind them. Why would they even want to spend money on TV advertising anyway when the target audience regards that medium as a relic from the past. I'm being hyperbolic here but you know what I'm getting at. 

Did Fortnite have any TV advertising? If it did I'd be willing to bet it's for the mobile version only. 

10 minutes ago, linkster said:

And Netflix contains a shit load of low quality mediocre content. The vast majority of it in fact. 

The big hitters on Netflix will exist also outside that arena, just as Forza will still sell decent numbers at retail for all those folk who don’t want to pay £7.99 a month.

For the time being I am sure MS will still release games outside of the service although in the future I am sure they want to see a situation where you can only get Forza by subscribing to the service, ala if you want to see Netflix productions you usually have to subscribe to Netflix. I imagine it will start as the service will get certain games early, followed by a physical release and as the service gains more strength the actual physical release might be removed. 

I think Gamepass is not about this year or next year, it is where MS want to be in 5 or 10 years which is all about a constant stream of income through a subscription service, which is how Xbox Gold was established (which will probably be folded into the service at some point). 

I don't think whether Sea of Thieves is good or not entered into the equation when putting it on the service.  MS will be happy to take an initial hit (from lost sales of the game) if it means they take a longer boost to increased subscribers of the service. Sure, some people will play the game and cancel but others will keep on going, and others will join when Crackdown launches or rejoin.  At some point you've got people into the ecosystem and they'll just start to pay £8 a month as a matter of course.  People could, feasibly cancel Netflix in a month when nothing is launched which they want to watch or they go on holiday but most people don't because we're pretty lazy when it comes to cancelling subscription services. 

1 minute ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

They aren't giving it away if a proportion of the folk who try out gamepass on account of this start to pay out monthly, either because they enjoy this game or for the other current and forthcoming titles - that's the gamble, but it's not a huge one really.   A strong E3 and good quality / varied additions in April / May will help of course.

I know, you’re right, that’s probably why they’ve done it.

Just now, VN1X said:

How does that have any bearing on the quality of the game? There have been plenty of stinkers that have had stupendous amounts of marketing behind them. Why would they even want to spend money on TV advertising anyway when the target audience regards that medium as a relic from the past. I'm being hyperbolic here but you know what I'm getting at. 

Did Fortnite have any TV advertising? If it did I'd be willing to bet it's for the mobile version only. 

So how it works is that if you buy a license for an IP and the quality of the game just doesn’t matter then you market the shit out of it cos then you get preferential treatment from retail and sell more 

if you make a new IP and you think it’s got the legs to make serious money you do the same thing cos you have to give it a profile outside the hardcore

if you have a new IP and you don’t think it’ll sell, you simply pull the marketing budget

1 minute ago, linkster said:

I doubt the likes of Stranger Things sell that well outside of Netflix. There's a lot of rubbish on there for sure, but it's not what people subscribe for.

Microsoft's move to back Gamepass with day one first party releases was what convinced me to subscribe, and considering the price of digital games it's a pretty great deal really. 

As for Sea of Thieves, I do like the idea of it and will probably dip in and out when friends want to play, but I don't think there's enough there to make it anything more than that. It's perfect for Gamepass though, as I don't feel like I need to justify a purchase by giving it more time than that.

8 minutes ago, McCoy said:

For the time being I am sure MS will still release games outside of the service although in the future I am sure they want to see a situation where you can only get Forza by subscribing to the service, ala if you want to see Netflix productions you usually have to subscribe to Netflix. I imagine it will start as the service will get certain games early, followed by a physical release and as the service gains more strength the actual physical release might be removed. 

I think Gamepass is not about this year or next year, it is where MS want to be in 5 or 10 years which is all about a constant stream of income through a subscription service, which is how Xbox Gold was established (which will probably be folded into the service at some point). 

If Gamepass is the way forward then I really hope they change the name to something a bit more catchy.

Gameplay? Fastplay? Allplay? X-Pass? 

2 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I doubt the likes of Stranger Things sell that well outside of Netflix. There's a lot of rubbish on there for sure, but it's not what people subscribe for.

Microsoft's move to back Gamepass with day one first party releases was what convinced me to subscribe, and considering the price of digital games it's a pretty great deal really. 

As for Sea of Thieves, I do like the idea of it and will probably dip in and out when friends want to play, but I don't think there's enough there to make it anything more than that. It's perfect for Gamepass though, as I don't feel like I need to justify a purchase by giving it more time than that.

Not talking about Stranger Things, I primarily subscribe to Netflix for studio movies 

4 minutes ago, linkster said:

So how it works is that if you buy a license for an IP and the quality of the game just doesn’t matter then you market the shit out of it cos then you get preferential treatment from retail and sell more 

if you make a new IP and you think it’s got the legs to make serious money you do the same thing cos you have to give it a profile outside the hardcore

if you have a new IP and you don’t think it’ll sell, you simply pull the marketing budget

Yeah I get that but I don't understand how it (the marketing) matters to the people who play games or the quality of the IP. 

Sea of Thieves ads have been taking over the giant screen in Picadilly Circus for the past few days. Worked here for over two years and never seen a single video game on there before, it's always Coca Cola, Samsung, McDonalds etc

This probably means...something. Or nothing.

4 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Yeah I get that but I don't understand how it (the marketing) matters to the people who play games or the quality of the IP. 

Well it gives some indication as to whether MS is truly behind it cos if they are not then the idea of Rare being allowed to commit to an ongoing content roadmap strikes me as a bit unlikely 

Just now, Majora said:

Sea of Thieves ads have been taking over the giant screen in Picadilly Circus for the past few days. Worked here for over two years and never seen a single video game on there before, it's always Coca Cola, Samsung, McDonalds etc

This probably means...something. Or nothing.

Good to know, cheers

7 minutes ago, linkster said:

Well it gives some indication as to whether MS is truly behind it cos if they are not then the idea of Rare being allowed to commit to an ongoing content roadmap strikes me as a bit unlikely 

Correct me if I'm wrong but the development roadmap has no relation to the marketing of a videogame. 

Obviously if a game is more popular then the devs are inclined to support it for longer periods of time but I don't think that the amount of marketing MS is spending on marketing is a clear indicator of what we can expect from Rare going forward. Warframe has been going for 5 years now and it's only recently (last six months) that it received major exposure by ways of TV advertising via the Game Awards. 

3 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the development roadmap has no relation to the marketing of a videogame. 

Obviously if a game is more popular then the devs are inclined to support it for longer periods of time but I don't think that the amount of marketing MS is spending on marketing is a clear indicator of what we can expect from Rare going forward. Warframe has been going for 5 years now and it's only recently (last six months) that it received major exposure by ways of TV advertising via the Game Awards. 

Yeah, you are basically wrong but it’s understandable. There is a direct correlation between how the publisher intends to promote a game at launch and how much money it’s prepared to spend supporting it.

if a new IP launches with weak sparse content and very little marketing, then the indicators are pretty strongly they’re going to try and claw back what they can and then move on . It doesbt make business sense to assume you can put a game out quietly that most people will pick up and drop and then that they’ll care enough to come back to in big enough numbers for the likes of Microsoft to waste their time with it. Other publishers maybe,  but not this one. 

You're not in a particularly strong position to enforce that view when you still can't understand that every first party title will be on Game Pass day one. We are in different times, Microsoft clearly want to try something different and find something that offers a different way to play and support.

5 minutes ago, linkster said:

Yeah, you are basically wrong but it’s understandable. There is a direct correlation between how the publisher intends to promote a game at launch and how much money it’s prepared to spend supporting it.

if a new IP launches with weak sparse content and very little marketing, then the indicators are pretty strongly they’re going to try and claw back what they can and then move on . It doesbt make business sense to assume you can put a game out quietly that most people will pick up and drop and then that they’ll care enough to come back to in big enough numbers for the likes of Microsoft to waste their time with it. Other publishers maybe,  but not this one. 

Does that not change when a company the size of Microsoft needs a massive hit?  They could easily plough another £100m into it for the next few years just to develop this incredibly ‘potentially’ interesting game which is a unique selling point for the console which is massively lagging behind in the global sales charts. The other 2 big titles this year are sequels, one of which didn’t sell like gang busters last time (SOD) the other (Crackdown 3) is a complete unknown due to the time since the first one. 

Not saying that you’re totally wrong but I think it’s quite a unique case and MS may want to do whatever they can to salvage it (Yarrrrrr) if indeed that turns out to be needed and the planned additions over the next 6 months don’t give people what they want. 

Just now, Yiggy said:

Does that not change when a company the size of Microsoft needs a massive hit?  They could plough another £100m into it for the next few years just to develop this incredibly ‘potentially’ interesting game which is a unique selling point for the console which is lagging behind in the global sales charts. The other 2 big titles this year are sequels, one of which didn’t sell like gang busters last time (SOD) the other (Crackdown 3) is a complete unknown due to the time since the first one. 

Not saying that you’re totally wrong but I think it’s quite a unique case and MS may want to do whatever they can to salvage it (Yarrrrrr). 

They could do that, yeah. I could be completely wrong. But I’d be willing to lay down some cold hard cash they won’t. Me hearty.

22 minutes ago, linkster said:

Yeah in this case you're specifically talking about Microsoft but also marketing in general. They would be an exception to the rule as the most popular games right now (CS:GO, DOTA, Warframe, PUBG, Fortnite, LoL, Siege, etc) didn't start off with TV marketing behind them. Besides, isn't TV mostly dominated by ads for mobile games to begin with? Most other publishers seem to focus on marketing via Youtube (INFLUENCERS!) , banners, twitch (MORE INFLUENCERS!!!!1), etc. 

The only ads I catch for the 'traditional AAA' are for FIFA, GTA and CoD. 

So to come back to my original point: asking a question like "have there been any TV ads for Sea of Thieves" seems odd if you're treating that as a barometer in terms of what to expect from the game going forward. 

12 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Yeah in this case you're specifically talking about Microsoft but also marketing in general. They would be an exception to the rule as the most popular games right now (CS:GO, DOTA, Warframe, PUBG, Fortnite, LoL, Siege, etc) didn't start off with TV marketing behind them. Besides, isn't TV mostly dominated by ads for mobile games to begin with? Most other publishers seem to focus on marketing via Youtube (INFLUENCERS!) , banners, twitch (MORE INFLUENCERS!!!!1), etc. 

The only ads I catch for the 'traditional AAA' are for FIFA, GTA and CoD. 

So to come back to my original point: asking a question like "have there been any TV ads for Sea of Thieves" seems odd if you're treating that as a barometer in terms of what to expect from the game going forward. 

It’s one barometer, not taken in isolation, I only asked it after all the comments about the lack of polish (missing VO), lack of content, lack of tutorial, cos sadly in my experience after you’ve worked your nuts off making a game as good as you can in spite of a million challenges beyond your control the most dispiriting moment is when the marketing folks pull the budget cos then all your pain has been for nothing, the damn thing won’t make any money if it doesn’t get a profile, so it’s a self fulfilling prophecy. 

3 hours ago, JPickford said:

Does anyone actually feel the game suffering due to lack of pets?   More interesting stuff to do maybe.   Pets just sounds like monetising.

No, there are more pressing things. However I was talking to my son about this yesterday. I understand the desire/need to monetise GaaS - but pets seem like a neat way of fleshing systems and the world out, and giving a reason to explore by earning/finding things. You should be able to (work out for yourself) how to catch and tame a monkey or parrot. They should be rare, or only spawn in certain places at certain times of day. You work out how to catch them, tame them and then they're yours - a way to enhance and express your character in the game world, something neat to do or achieve while exploring, but keeping the progression system flat like Rare want. Instead I suspect you'll only be able to buy a pet, in a number of different shapes and colours. There are definitely more important things to add right now, but little things like this, finding old, rare cosmetics for exploring are the touches I'd hoped would be added while the game was in alpha and beta.

Me and a friend took to the seas for a couple of hours this morning, ended up doing a 3 part treasure hunt.  2nd part took us a while to figure out where the treasure was and to top it of a skeleton took to a cannon on the island and sunk our ship grrhhh.  Luckily we retrieved the treasure and pulled up a new ship.

But the worst part is as we finished the quest and was going back to the outpost for our reward, we were blind sided and attacked by another crew and long story short ended up sinking us and lost everything :(  Felt like 2 hours down the pan.  I know thats the name of the game but still frustrating when it happens!  Suppose i will learn for next time to keep dropping the treasure of instead of hoarding it. 

Still loving what i played upto yet :D

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

I'm willing to bet that if Microsoft had the immense first party catalogue of Sony it would never do what it did with the gamepass. But that is a conversation for another thread. They simply have done it too early in my opinion.

@Pob I did just that on a couple of occasions in the beta; once I was leaving the island in my sloop as I spotted a galleon coming in for me so I decided to try and hide my three chests in an alcove around the bend by the beach and sailed on out. Which led to a wild goose chase around the local islands where I died a few times, until I finally managed to shake them. The chests were still sitting in the same spot, when I returned almost an hour later.

• mechamonkey changed the title to Sea of Thieves