mechamonkey

Sea of Thieves

lol, I mentioned it last night but the quality was great, only a couple of mild stutters but other than that it was smooth and eveyone was clearly audible, I will admit I forgot it was a stream tried to "control" it couple of times using WASD or the mouse lol.

• Upvote 1

Finally got around to playing this with a couple of mates over the last week and it’s really good isn’t it?

We all went in totally fresh, so none of us had a clue about even the most basic mechanics and it’s been great fun working everything out, up to the point where we took on and sunk a ghost ship the other night.

We’ve had plenty of laughs too. Taking on Krakens, launching each other as high and far as we could in the cannons, locking each other in the brig!

But... it feels a bit light on content. We’ve only played for a week, but now we (sort of) know what we’re doing it’s already starting to feel repetitive.

Is it really as simple as going to an outpost, stocking up on quests/journeys from one of the three vendors, then rinse and repeat for a bit more cash?

Is the cash only any use for cosmetic stuff as well? I’m sure a lot of people like that, but I’ve got no interest in making my pirate or ship look a bit different. I want some solid progression.

Hopefully I’ve missed a load of stuff, so please tell me I have... or I think, as much fun as that first bit of discovery was, my time with it is over already. Which would be a big shame for such a good looking, fun game.

• Upvote 1

Starting to get a little jealous of all the success stories and fancy gear. My lowly pirate has one outfit and completing a basic voyage is considered a triumph.

But then you manage to get a bomb on board a skelly ship and everything's Rum and bananas again.

VZaRfRI.jpg

• Upvote 3

Play like a pirate, go around plundering other ships instead of being bored with missions, the world is a playground for social interaction, the missions are really only to get you from a to b it's what you do between that matters.
Have you tried Devils roar (volcanic region, go to Morrows outpost on the far east) it's a lot more dangerous.
There is no progression other than visually (ship decoration, clothing etc) and titles.
You can do commendations which reward currency to spend with Duke in the inn are are tied to in game events, for example under the reputation tab look at the Bildge Rats entry and do some of those goals

• Upvote 1

The progression is horizontal. There's no advantage having played for months or days. It's why I love it. As for stuff to do there's tons of progression all of the additions since launch are available and make a nice mixture of exploration and fight variation. The game is in the journey, not the destination.

• Upvote 1

I think if you're after specific NPC-led story progression, you'll be massively disappointed.  The whole point of it is that the players create the adventure.  Now there are more features which help to shape that adventure than there used to be (skelly ships, megalodons, krakens, skull forts etc etc) but primarily, it'll be down to what you and your crew decide to do, how to tackle the game etc.

I would admit that it's unusual in that sense, but even if you look at it from the very basic perspective of 'crew up - find loot - cash in - repeat', every outing can be massively different.  And granted, that might not be what you're after in which case fair enough.

I've been absolutely thraping through this over the past few months, and I'm nowhere near getting bored of it.  And there'll be more features arriving soon, not to mention the alternative game mode (which TBH I'm not massively fussed about.  No doubt I'll play it but I'm more than happy with what I'm doing at the moment).

14 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

The progression is horizontal. There's no advantage having played for months or days. It's why I love it. As for stuff to do there's tons of progression all of the additions since launch are available and make a nice mixture of exploration and fight variation. The game is in the journey, not the destination.

This is a really good point.  @Orko joined my crew for a couple of sessions over the weekend, and there's no massive gulf between him and the rest of us, even though on last night's galleon, 3 of us were Pirate Legends and he's not even halfway there yet but it didn't matter.  There's no way we could have beaten the megs/skelly ships, found treasure, killed the skelly captains etc etc without his help.  Or at the very least, nowhere near as quickly.