mechamonkey

Sea of Thieves

Ha ha, thanks mate - plenty of help from yourself along the way.

I expected the last few levels to be a bit of a ballache but it's been absolutely awesome, so many great nights.

Time to crack on to reach Athena level 10! I'm at 4 already.

• Upvote 1

Well I'm not stopping any time soon - another glorious evening last night.

Did an Athena voyage with my friend in a sloop and managed to get the Chest of Legends in under an hour, which is ridiculously quick for such a small crew!  However, on the way to the outpost to cash in the chest, we got attacked by a kraken.  It was literally next to the outpost!!  We didn't have many cannonballs left so we had to stay below deck, patch and bail until we sailed past.  A bloody close call though!

Then we joined up with 2 others and did another Athena, this time on a galleon.  I'm loving this game more than ever right now - it's got to be up there with my absolute favourite multiplayer experiences.  It's a right laugh.

• Upvote 1

Aye the past 2 nights have seen epic tales of survival and adventure. It seems they've ramped up all threat levels to 11, creating utter chaos on land and sea. Rather than being off putting it's just had us reaching outposts in ships full of holes and weighed down with loot.

Amazing stuff.

7w8h87w.jpg

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/3/18157353/sea-of-thieves-dlc-expansions-2019

Giant Bomb's most disappointing game of 2018. Gertsman played it for a whole hour before rushing out to get a few burrito,chilli cheese dogs from TacoBurger. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Aye the past 2 nights have seen epic tales of survival and adventure. It seems they've ramped up all threat levels to 11, creating utter chaos on land and sea. Rather than being off putting it's just had us reaching outposts in ships full of holes and weighed down with loot.

Amazing stuff.

Krakens can seemingly smell out Chests of Legends :lol:

It's true though - the seas are far more perilous since the last update.

Are you guys aware of the rumpus twitch streamer Summit1G is creating with his streams? the /r/seaofthieves reddit is chaos.
I think he's an amazing player, fully exploiting double shoot etc but realises it shouldnt be part of the game along with full servers of PvE farmers AFKing to keep the server enemy free etc.
The guy is an absolute demon, using that double shot (sniper/pistol) he effectively one shots anyone however he routinely 1v4s ships, he would destroy me.
Apparently he's on stream this week with the rare crew to discuss stuff.
Needless to say he is pulling in 50k viewers and floods of blood thirsty new pirates :)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

These sails cost half a bloody million! Now to save for the hull.

Oooh very nice!  How much was the figurehead?  I've over 600k after making about 400k over the space of 3 or 4 sessions!

3 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

Are you guys aware of the rumpus twitch streamer Summit1G is creating with his streams? the /r/seaofthieves reddit is chaos.
I think he's an amazing player, fully exploiting double shoot etc but realises it shouldnt be part of the game along with full servers of PvE farmers AFKing to keep the server enemy free etc.
The guy is an absolute demon, using that double shot (sniper/pistol) he effectively one shots anyone however he routinely 1v4s ships, he would destroy me.
Apparently he's on stream this week with the rare crew to discuss stuff.
Needless to say he is pulling in 50k viewers and floods of blood thirsty new pirates :)

Yeah I've heard of this guy and I hope they can patch out the double shot bullshit.  It seems more of an exploitation of the controls as opposed to genuine skill - not dissimilar to quickscoping in Call of Duty that REALLY got on my nerves.

No issue with other players attacking as it's absolutely part of the game but I think this method is a bit wrong.  I'll watch the Rare stream with interest.  Hopefully Joe tells him they're working on it!!

I have no problem with him using it as it is in the game, I wouldn't personally but until Rare do something about it fair game. It absolutely needs to go (as does AFK'ers and PvE alliance servers)
Honestly I'd recommend watching his stream for a bit to see what a demon he is, I don't like his smack talk but Jesus, what a dervish, he proper wrecks literally *everyone* they come across.

I really like the way some crews use ingenious ways to fight - we were chasing a sloop a couple of nights ago which we were pretty sure had just emptied a skull fort.  They sailed into the wind so we couldn't catch them, and when they got to the outpost, they kept sailing round and round it.

It took us ages to realise that every time they lost sight of us (round the back of a rock or something) one of them would jump off and sell something!

One of our crew eventually boarded them and they told him we were too late before killing them both with a barrel!

It wasted a good half an hour of our Athena voyage, but fair play to them.

• Upvote 2

Absolutely, using the tools given to you in this game in ingenious ways IS the game really, thats what keeps me coming back, the never ending scenarios and interactions created by people that are rarely the same twice!

I'm at about 7.75 I've had several moths of fannying about not pursuing it though (spending more time on comissions than Athenas etc), they do get longer and longer per level (unlike regular levels) the standard chests needed breaks down like this, although Ashen versions do give you more (and about 9k per chest) :

Lvl - Chests - Total - Item 

2 | 3 | 3 | Boots

3 | 3 | 6 | Gloves

4 | 5 | 11 | Trousers

5 | 7 | 18 | Belt

6 | 9 | 27 | Jacket

7 | 12 | 39 | Pegleg

8 | 15 | 54 | Eyepatch

9 | 18 | 72 | Hook

10 | 21 | 93 | Hat

So 93 normal Athena chests to get to level 10, I'm about half way *cries*

Fuuuuuuck :lol:

Thank goodness for a regular crew!  And please do join us if you can if you see me online - you'd be an asset (whiskey consumption depending...)

7 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Fuuuuuuck :lol:

Thank goodness for a regular crew!  And please do join us if you can if you see me online - you'd be an asset (whiskey consumption depending...)

Yeah I could do with a regular crew for sure, I have had a non stop parade of arseholes for the last month, I cant even solo sloop properly any more because Kraken, Meg and Skeleton ships make it way too dangerous ;p 
I'm on the wagon for a month so you're quite safe ;p

2 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

Yeah I could do with a regular crew for sure, I have had a non stop parade of arseholes for the last month, I cant even solo sloop properly any more because Kraken, Meg and Skeleton ships make it way too dangerous ;p 
I'm on the wagon for a month so you're quite safe ;p

I'm going to be on most evenings now, so happy to crew up any time - even if it's just 2 of us on a sloop.

I REALLY want to get my last Voyage of the Damned commendation soon - the one where you need all the different flames on your ship at once.  Can't seem to get the bugger.

1 minute ago, Boothjan said:

I'm going to be on most evenings now, so happy to crew up any time - even if it's just 2 of us on a sloop.

I REALLY want to get my last Voyage of the Damned commendation soon - the one where you need all the different flames on your ship at once.  Can't seem to get the bugger.

I think the lightning one will be your sticking point, the frequency of lightning strikes was upped during the festival, you can still get hit (and I have done) but not nearly as often.
That reminds me I've still not got the achievement for sailing through a storm lights out.  

I got that by accident - got chased by a galleon so headed into the wind into a storm and turned my lights off so they couldn't see me.  A nice surprise to see an achievement pop up!!

I don't have the 20 chests achievement yet though, I'd like that.

Man, double shot is really ruining any fun for me in PvP, its the same every time, someone using it simply ruins any opposition, it's insta kill every time, it's utterly game breaking, xbox players simply cannot fight back vs insta death PC aim so every PvP encounter at this point is utterly pointless.
Unless it's patched there is no way on earth I am even attempting Arena when it comes out (don't hold your breath, it'll be a while yet, it's not in even in pioneer testing)