Sea of Thieves - Xbox Club now set up "We Shall Fail Together"

Went back to sea of thieves for the first time in about a year last night, my friends and I normally play xbox on Tuesdays but this week we took my friends daughter on a sail with us as she just inherited her own xbox (thanks to dad getting a series x) and wanted to play but is a bit young to be unleashed to strangers.

Absolutely brilliant, I'd forgotten the sheer joy kids have mucking about with the strangest stuff, what a joy thist game is still and absolutely masses to do in these days.
Even better was we rolled up on an island which had a boss event going (the firey hurricane) as she wanted to go see it, there was a crew there who were also showing one of thier kids the game! So we struck up an alliance fast (thanks to people also being on mics) and all worked together having a wonderful time, the two kids are now friends too!

I'm back in shipmates! 

Once our housemove is sorted, we will have TWO reception rooms meaning more opportunity to jump back into SoT.  And in time, a new big telly and a Series X.....

I can't explain how much I've missed this - I saw that 1000 days video Rare released and it showed me just how much I've missed.  I hadn't a clue what half of it was!!

Yeah, this is absolutely lovely on the next gen Xboxes now, buttery smooth, much faster load times and the FOV slider is a great addition. 

My son has inherited my OG Xbox One and playing dad n' lad coop is great fun with tonnes to explore and a real sense of adventure and discovery to the game.

There's a battle pass coming in the new year (because of course there is) but if they get it right hopefully it means less sessions where you can struggle to make progress and allow for quicker bursts of play/reward. 

• 5 weeks later...

Me and some mates have gotten back into this lately and when it sings it's just the best online game out there, right? We're having so much fun but... well... why does everyone have to be such an arsehole? Literally everyone we've met has ignored any attempts at chat and tried to blow us up. I got into quite a long chat with a guy at an outpost when neither of us had any treasure, said hellos, talked about the tall tales we were doing and said our goodbyes. He shot me in the face and they sunk our boat. We were doing a fort later on and some guys rocked up. We asked for help using in game chat and the text function and they sunk our boat and killed us then moved on from the fort without finishing it. 

It seems bizarre that there's no "nice" options within the game. I get that PVP is a big part of it and that it's a bloody pirate simulator and I should stop thinking like everyone out there is going to want to be friends, but some of the best times I had with the game back in the day was teaming up with my mates and randoms to take on the Meg for the first time, or destroy the skeleton ships when they appeared. Maybe we've just been on bad servers but literally everyone we've met in the last week has killed us on sight. We've not even had anything lost or stolen! Every time we were just trying to do an activity and came upon randoms that killed us. It seems mad that there's an actual PVP mode but these arseholes just hang around on the main servers constantly. 

I had a bunch of real shits the other week who  had a large full ship of players who attacked me and a mate in a sloop. They then just proceeded to swim onboard and continually patched up our ship before then killing and cannoning us each time we respawned back on ship. Just for the lols I presume but don’t see what they get from it. They would have gone on repeated ad nauseam if we eventually didn’t leave the game and start afresh on a new server.  The actual first time I played within 30 seconds I was continuously killed by cannon fire over and over on the outpost I started at. Almost as if players were lurking there waiting for someone to start their game just to kill them. It’s a pirate game so expect some players to attack but deliberately going out to ruin the experience is just being a cunt. 

However the majority of players I’ve encountered have been great and really have made Sea of thieves a unique  experience. 

• 2 weeks later...

I started playing this today in anticipation of playing with a friend and on the first mission I arrived at, there were a couple of guys laying in wait who proceeded to kill me over and over. Completely spoiled what was an otherwise interesting and fun experience. 

Is there any way to play this without PvP? It seems griefing is an issue - the game even says don’t grief first time players! 

26 minutes ago, Popo said:

Is there any way to play this without PvP? It seems griefing is an issue - the game even says don’t grief first time players! 

There is not I'm afraid, the PvP is part of the core game. Best advice is to team up with a larger group. 

I have some sessions with griefers and others where I don't see a soul. Those who do attack you don't have any better gear or higher stats mind, it's often a numbers game in terms of group size.

2 hours ago, Janski said:

There is not I'm afraid, the PvP is part of the core game. Best advice is to team up with a larger group. 

I have some sessions with griefers and others where I don't see a soul. Those who do attack you don't have any better gear or higher stats mind, it's often a numbers game in terms of group size.

Thanks Janski, I thought this might be the case. 

I guess the advice is just - scuttle your ship and hope to god other players don’t find you on the next turn?

3 hours ago, Popo said:

I started playing this today in anticipation of playing with a friend and on the first mission I arrived at, there were a couple of guys laying in wait who proceeded to kill me over and over. Completely spoiled what was an otherwise interesting and fun experience. 

If you're getting repeatedly ganked, just quit and restart, you'll end up on another server which may not be so hostile.

1 hour ago, mechamonkey said:

If you're getting repeatedly ganked, just quit and restart, you'll end up on another server which may not be so hostile.

Oh right, so don’t even bother with scuttling, do a full quit and restart? 

I have to say, what I did manage to play in my short session has really captivated my imagination, the idea of playing with friends and all the fun possibilities therein has really tickled me. I love the spirit and the style, but, being a Rare game, I hadn’t expected it to be so cut-throat (pun intended). 

But I ca already see ways in which playing with one or two others, much hassle could be avoided - a man in the crow’s near keeping watch for other ships on the horizon, one steering and another manning the canon would be infinitely preferred to one person doing all three things. 

Still, the griefers who spoiled my evening were just hiding in the bushes on the first quest island, so I’m not sure how one could be prepared to deal with that particularly well. I suppose their own boat must have been parked nearby somewhere, which would be the tip-off, otherwise they’d be respawning nowhere near the island?

Any advice for spotting where damage has been inflicted? I noticed too late that my boat was sinking after a brief skirmish, but couldn’t find where. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Any advice for spotting where damage has been inflicted? I noticed too late that my boat was sinking after a brief skirmish, but couldn’t find where. 

Listen for audio cues, creaking and gushing, which indicates you’ve taken damage. Of course it’s always worth doing a visual check following any contact including scrapes against rock and land. Just look for holes. Learn how to quickly sweep the downstairs space not forgetting the captains cabin and middle deck bit. Holes are pretty easy to spot and patch. 

Griefing is hit and miss. Last 3 sessions I’ve played with hardly had any other encounters and not had any. Then you’ll get an annoying one. You mention the right things on how to stack things in your favour for avoidance. Always remember to keep a look out especially when docked and never leave your ship unmanned for long if you have a crew. Having somebody on the ship who can snipe and canon island dangers as well as keep a look out is key. I find that when we drop out guard we open ourselves up to silly attacks. 

It’s also worth reading up on the speeds and manoverabilty stats on the ships to help you avoid conflict. 

I’ve loved so much of the new content and I’ve barely scratched the surface really. I’m really hoping the new progression system will help with shorter sessions as I do feel that unless I have 3 hours+ to play so much of the content isn’t worth getting stuck into. 

The stories just keep writing themselves though with the sessions we keep having. Tremendous game. 

I thought there actually was an option for when you keep getting ganked? On the ship of the dead/souls/whatever there’s a notice near the respawn door that asks you if you keep dying because of other players, but I’ve never used it.

Thanks @Yiggy - it’s at least reassuring that replies such as yours suggest the griefing isn’t as endemic as my first experience might have otherwise suggested. 

@carlospie, the sign says words to the effect: if you find yourself being killed by players too much, go into the settings and scuttle your ship, which will respawn you back on land, for away from the griefers. 

I went back to this yesterday as my 12 year old now has his own GPU account, so he asked me to teach him how to play it.

SOOOOO many things I don't recognise, it's like a new game!!  But I taught him the basics, gave him a sailing lesson in a sloop, then the little twat got bored and threw firebombs at me...

The feeling of sailing on a calm sea during sunset NEVER gets old - makes me realise how much I miss playing this game regularly.

Part of the fun was always trying to recognize that ship full of swines and getting revenge or working out if they have changed their regalia, has someone cannoned over to your ship, is someone lurking? spotting that dot on the horizon and working out if its headed for you etc Maybe things have changed since I played regularly but the rivalries and camaraderie you built up (often recognizing names from previous sessions etc) was all part of the fun, sure often you'd lose the lot and think well that was pointless I've gained nothing, but you have, you gain experience and learn from your defeats and one day it might be you taking all the booty from an encounter! 
As everyone is on an even keel (i.e. no better weapons or skills or items) it's precisely learning those skills like keeping watch, parking sneakily while you go ashore, learning how to sink a ship effectively, hide from others  or repair your own ship in battle as quickly and minimally as needed etc that make you a better pirate, keep at it! 

I think the one issue that gave a distinct advantage to other players were those playing on PC - using a mouse/keyboard is always going to make you that microsecond faster in combat.

Since I stopped playing regularly, I believe you can now select Xbox Only servers before setting sail - I was never the best at PvP close up (wasn't too bad at firing cannons at people) and I'm pretty sure a lot of that was the split second difference between PC and console players.

I also used to enjoy taking control of the ship/cannon whilst the more bloodthirsty of our crew (including @mechamonkey!) shot over to enemy ships to fuck shit up.

I 100% agree on the experience being the most important thing though.  We used to achieve absolutely fuck all on some sessions, but were falling about laughing due to our total lack of maturity.  There's few games like this for just messing about being silly.

Wednesday the new update drops which will be changing the way progression works in someway so that's going to be interesting.. 

Stick with it though guys some crews are just assholes but you will get better with practice.

When my house move is finally sorted, the extra reception room means I can finally return to this - sounds like it'll be a good time to come back.

@mechamonkeywhen did you last play on this?  Would be great to check out the new content, Tall Tales etc with an old shipmate.....

3 hours ago, Boothjan said:

When my house move is finally sorted, the extra reception room means I can finally return to this - sounds like it'll be a good time to come back.

@mechamonkeywhen did you last play on this?  Would be great to check out the new content, Tall Tales etc with an old shipmate.....

Only a few sessions here and there, nothing of any substance so happy to pick up again when you're free. I've just logged in every now and then to have a sail around and look at things :)
I've done The Seabound Soul which is the next Tall Tale after the Shores of Gold (the final TT we did) but haven't done Heart of Fire the latest one.
Not a clue how any of the new stuff works either, all the more fun!

I’m pleased to say I had a very fun session with my brother this afternoon, him on PC and me on the Xbox. We did a couple of quests - one to dig up buried treasure and the other to deliver supplies to another island. We also found a quest, with multiple riddles, but got completely stumped on the last clue - something about a shark statue somewhere on the east side of Sharkbait Cove. 

Anyway, we got a pile of gold for completing the quests and then turned it off - I know the game is session-based and things are reset when you log off, but gold stays with you, right? What else, company rep and purchased items?

What do we want to be spending our hard earned on?

Looking forward to a possible three-man cruise this evening!

5 hours ago, Popo said:

Anyway, we got a pile of gold for completing the quests and then turned it off - I know the game is session-based and things are reset when you log off, but gold stays with you, right? What else, company rep and purchased items?

Yep Gold, dubloons (the blue currency) and any rep you can't lose and you'll always have the cosmetics you've purchased :)

Would be keen on some rllmuk action on this at some point. Only ever played with a few friends and would like to get into it more when the new season stuff launches, assuming its good. 

• mechamonkey changed the title to Sea of Thieves - Xbox Club now set up "We Shall Fail Together"