rllmuk
mechamonkey

Sea of Thieves - Huge free update Out Now, Fishing, PVP Arena, PvE Tall Tales

7 minutes ago, Orko said:

Starting March 18th, buying a one x will get you a copy of this bundled in. 

Resolve crumbling :unsure:

Between Gamepass and this, Microsoft are pushing this with all they've got. Smart move though, they know the game will live or die by its player base so it's better in the long run to get it into as many hands as possible.

Edit - Actually I just saw it's only for between March 18th and March 24th so not too much room for indecision there!

If you can be bothered with the faff of buying credit from Nokeys, you can get a One S and a year’s worth of Gamepass for £135. I think that much Gamepass is £100 on its own. 

Hopefully mine arrives this week. 

• Upvote 2

I'm all pre-loaded and ready to go. That said, I have reservations about the amount of content the game is launching with (especially considering the price) but It's not stopping me from diving in day one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Sie said:

I'm all pre-loaded and ready to go. That said, I have reservations about the amount of content the game is launching with (especially considering the price) but It's not stopping me from diving in day one.

Looks a bit thin on launch content with what was in the beta plus 1 more set of quest givers and the Kraken being the main additions. 

Hopefully they will start adding more content before we all get bored and stop playing. 

I'm excited about playing again but think it might have been better launching as an early access title or having a bit more development time to add some more stuff. People will be a lot more critical

and unforgiving with it being a £50 title. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

All quest revolve around go to island, find treasure, take treasure back to base. WARNING: may be enemy players. 

All enemies are skeletons. 

The sea is barren and lifeless apart from endlessly spawning sharks if you dare to dive in. 

The islands are barren and lifeless apart from skeletons. 

The combat feels slow, clunky and off. Enemies die with a slight delay after the last hit/shot, which is particularly noticeable because they explode. 

The game needs a hell of a lot more to it. The whole emergent gameplay thing won't hold most people for long if it's just treasure and skeletons. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, Orko said:

All quest revolve around go to island, find treasure, take treasure back to base. WARNING: may be enemy players. 

The sea is barren and lifeless apart from endlessly spawning sharks if you dare to dive in. 

The combat feels slow, clunky and off. Enemies die with a slight delay after the last hit/shot, which is particularly noticeable because they explode. 

The game needs a hell of a lot more to it. The whole emergent gameplay thing won't hold most people for long if it's just treasure and skeletons. 

Shut the fuck up you miserable cunt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 27

You're mad if you're buying this at full price and have reservations about the content. Why aren't you trying it through gamepass rather than potentially wasting all that money? 

• Upvote 1

Orko's concerns are quite well-founded.

I'm going to give this a bash on PC using the gamerpass thing for a month, and I think that's going to be enough. I really can't see it sustaining interest beyond that, as there's really not an awful lot to do - if the beta was a realistic expectation of what you get, anyway.

For all its wonderful water physics and atmosphere, it felt like a shell of a game still in early access.

Boozy's just doing his usual tiresome shit, but that's expected by now.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Orko said:

1. Yeah, skeletons, but there are at least 4 classes of skeletons and they're pretty cool looking! 

2. It's not really, there are shipwrecks, seagulls, coral reefs that have plenty of fish and uncharted islands that players have found. 

3. Again, there's loads of wildlife on the islands that's I've seen - fish, pigs, snakes, chickens, birds and bats

4. The death animation used to be poor but in the last stress test they properly went *bang*, it made the Eye of Reach a lot more fun to use. Personally I think PC players will have the usual advantage in combat thanks to KB+M but I've never actually felt hard done by in combat during the alpha. Maybe that'll change in the full game... 

5. The content thing is quite weird to me because on paper I should have been bored of this game a long time ago during the alpha but I can't wait for full release to do everything I've already done. Maybe it's more of a compliment to my existing library rather than a behemoth that takes over all my gaming time... I'll still be playing PUBG, Halo and friends around this. 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Clipper said:

if I got gamepass now would it allow me to preload this prior to 20th? on PC and xbox one?

Or do I have to wait for release day?

Release day for game pass apparently. 

21 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

If you can be bothered with the faff of buying credit from Nokeys, you can get a One S and a year’s worth of Gamepass for £135. I think that much Gamepass is £100 on its own. 

Hopefully mine arrives this week. 

Where do you buy the console and game pass from? The Microsoft online store? :)

55 minutes ago, Wallace said:

You're mad if you're buying this at full price and have reservations about the content. Why aren't you trying it through gamepass rather than potentially wasting all that money? 

I'm pretty sure game pass isn't an option on PC.

At any rate, I'm quite willing to take the hit if it turns out to be a turkey. It's a game I've been looking forward to for ages and, like an MMO, I'm optimistic that it'll develop into a richer experience so I'm putting my money where my mouth is so to speak. I wanna ride on the crest of the wave, though I think Rare best be prepared to take a kicking in the reviews when it comes to value proposition.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Lying.

I stand corrected Mr. Cat. The FAQ for gamepass said Xbox One only on a cursory glance but googling further tells me cross-platform Play Anyway titles are an exception.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sie said:

I stand corrected Mr. Cat. The FAQ for gamepass said Xbox One only on a cursory glance but googling further tells me cross-platform Play Anyway titles are an exception.

Yup! Everything that's Play Anywhere is available to you on PC through Gamepass :D

17 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Yup! Everything that's Play Anywhere is available to you on PC through Gamepass :D

That's pretty awesome. Luckily I bought from the MS store so I just refunded and will be doing Game Pass instead.

Edit: And I still have a 14 day Game Pass trial to use. If that works, things just got even better!

This ‘lack of content’ drone is irksome as it’s untrue.  Aside from the hundreds of quests you can approach when and how you like, the game is the game.  Oh it’s not worth £45?  What the fuck is? Destiny is shoot aliens collect rewards. Bash the shit out of a big creature is Monster Hunter’s longevity right there.  The beauty of S.O.T. (aesthetic aside) is you can go solo, pair up with a wingman or lark around with a quartet. 

It may not be the game for you, and that’s fine because the less Fuds play this, the better for the rest. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

46 minutes ago, Mars said:

Where do you buy the console and game pass from? The Microsoft online store? :)

Microsoft Store Spain. Like, I said it's a bit of a faff, but works. I've ordered stuff from the Ireland store before. I think it's all just one central hub for Europe, anyway. I think my Elite pads were posted from the Netherlands. If you're interested (spoilered for boring):

Spoiler

There's a rough guide here (and reports of success): https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-one-s-500gb-forza-horizon-3-hot-wheels-13594-1tb-minecraft-limited-edition-15704-microsoft-spain-via-nokeys-2909281

This is the bundle you want (the other packs have sold out): https://www.microsoft.com/es-es/store/d/pack-real-madrid-xbox-one-s-game-pass-12-meses-solo-199/8mk8gv9jh9qc?cid=msft_web_collection

A fairly foolproof way of redeeming the codes on your account is to change your region in Windows 10 to Spain (in the location and time settings) and then redeeming the codes via the Xbox app. All prices of the games in the app change to Euros so you know it's worked. For your billing address just use your normal address but you need to stick any Spanish post code in there.

Oh, and if you go through TopCashback, you can get a little bit of cashback on the keys. I got £4.

I've already got some gamepass (enough to last me until May) so I will probably just sell my 12 month pass as I've basically just bought the Xbox as a Forza Horizon 3 machine (and for a bit of this and Crackdown 3). 

Looking forward to having an Xbox again, though. I just can't be bothered with gaming on my PC anymore. Shame, because it's a lot more powerful than a One S, but getting up and switching on a computer seems like such a faff with the current batch of Instant On consoles.

I've been sort of avoiding the Beta for this because I want it all to be fresh. Can't wait to load it up in glorious HDR and get exploring.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, bad_hair_day said:

This ‘lack of content’ drone is irksome as it’s untrue.  Aside from the hundreds of quests you can approach when and how you like, the game is the game.  Oh it’s not worth £45?  What the fuck is? Destiny is shoot aliens collect rewards. Bash the shit out of a big creature is Monster Hunter’s longevity right there.  The beauty of S.O.T. (aesthetic aside) is you can go solo, pair up with a wingman or lark around with a quartet. 

It may not be the game for you, and that’s fine because the less Fuds play this, the better for the rest. 

But the variety in those "hundreds" of quests is (for me) the biggest problem I've seen from a year or so playing the alpha. Yes there are some (livestock) fetch quests and bounty hunt quests being added, but there essentially seem to be three or four mission types. The pvp ship battles are unique, very cool and easily the best part. However the treasure-hunting is essentially the same every time from what I've played, and even the riddle maps are very simple. Impressions I've read of the skeleton forts were not good, so it'll be interesting to see how the initial release plays via Gamepass and what Rare have planned for their forthcoming updates.

I understand some people being irked by others' questioning of the content, and if you like the core loop of find treasure >> engage in pvp shenanigans then it's probably endlessly fun (in the same way I play Titanfall 2 multi to the detriment of everything else), but for a game that's been heavily previewed in alpha, beta and streamed a load on twitch, Rare haven't hinted at much that hasn't already been shown. So with no single-player story and leaning heavily upon some variety-light MMO missions and 'emergent' pvp it's not entirely surprising that for some people it probably feels light on content at this point.

The fetch mechanic is the starting point, what happens to and fro is the content.  Rare have been quite open about the game being a means for having fun online.  Breath of the Wild had a tonne of ‘content’ but was dull as fuck.  

• Downvote 7