mechamonkey

Sea of Thieves - Forsaken Shores free major DLC 27.09.18

1.2.4 Patch Notes

Ahoy pirates!

You heeded the call to arms, uncovered the clues and successfully protected the Sea of Thieves #GreatWater by defeating the skeletal scourge. Cursed Sails’ time-limited campaign has ended, but the skeleton ships remain in the world even as our latest Bilge Rat Adventure begins: Cursed Crews!

Patch 1.2.4 brings with it the return of the Kraken, increased chances to find consumable crates, a Commendation requirement rebalance and a controller sensitivity increase. It also includes key performance improvements, crash fixes and other fixes for known issues.

Through the ill deeds of Captain Warsmith and her subsequent defeat, the accursed power she sought to control has now been unleashed upon the Sea of Thieves. In recognition of this major event, the Bilge Rats are rewarding pirates who seek out and use these cannonballs against skeleton crews and other ships.

• Cursed Cannonballs - These magical cannonballs can now be found in barrels and crates around the world. There are 11 different types of Cursed Cannonball to discover, each unleashing a unique curse on players and ships.
  • The Flag of The Reapers Mark - A mysterious power has been harnessed from Wanda’s Lab and now awaits in the Flag Box of every ship. The Flag of the Reaper’s Mark is a new cursed flag that reveals the location of any ship that dares to fly it. The location of these ships will be shown on all other ships’ maps, but specific ship types and Alliance status will remain a mystery.

Inventory Quick Menu - Pressing the TAB key or the Menu button on your controller now shows two new options: ‘Equipment’ and ‘Resources’. From here players can equip themselves with the items they wish to use.

• Barrel 2.0 – Barrels in the world have been upgraded and can now contain more than one kind of item. Barrels on ships will still remain single item barrels.
    You can find the megathread for this feature in this topic.

• The Wailing Barnacle Weapons - The Pistol, Eye of Reach, Blunderbuss and Cutlass are now available to purchase with Doubloons from Duke. These items are time-limited for this Bilge Rats Adventure, so purchase while you can before they are removed on September 12th.

• Bilge Rats Titles - Complete Cursed Crews Commendations to unlock three new Pirate Titles: Bearer of the Reaper’s Mark, Master of Cursed Iron and Legendary Cursed Voyager. These titles will unlock straight into your Vanity Chest for maximum bragging rights.

• Bilge Rats Commendations & Doubloons - There are 16 new Cursed Crew Commendations available to unlock and the progress screen shows the number of Bilge Rat Doubloons each one rewards. There are to a total of 150 for this event, 90 for Standard Commendations and 60 for Legendary Commendations. Players have until September 12th to earn Doubloons by completing these Commendations.

Updates

• Emergent Skeleton Ship Battles - The accursed skeletons and their salvaged ships now sail the seas, posing a continued threat to the world. Periodically, a skeleton ship cloud may be seen on the horizon, heralding a ship battle location and the chance to seize the plunder aboard.
  • Bang For Your Buck - Prices will remain at their Cursed Sails reduced price in all shops to celebrate victory for the Outposts!
  • Beached Treasures - Banana Crates, Cannonball Crates and Wood Crates will now wash up more frequently on beaches.

• Supply & Demand - Banana Crates, Cannonball Crates and Wood Crates have an increased value when sold to the Merchant Alliance.

• Message in Bottles - Banana Crates, Cannonball Crates and Wood Crates are now more likely to be part of Voyages discovered in a Message in a Bottle.

• Map Table Alliance Flags - Alliance flag colours for both your ship and allied ships now appear on your map table’s off-screen marker.

• Commendation Changes - Some Commendation requirements have been rebalanced. This change was made due to community feedback. Players who have met the new conditions will need to complete the requirement one more time to trigger the Commendation.

• Controller Sensitivity - Sensitivity settings have now been doubled. The new '5' sensitivity is equivalent to the previous '10'. Players may have to adjust their settings when they next launch the game.

• Shop Purchase Updates - The flow of purchasing items from shops has been improved, featuring some shiny UI updates.

Light It Up - Lanterns must now be lit in order to trigger riddle steps.

• Hair & Beards - New animations have been added to the Vanity Chest when trying on beards and hairstyles, to better show them off!

Performance Improvements

• Fixed a server memory leak which was causing lag on busy servers on occasion.
  • Multiple server and client crash fixes.

Fixed Issues

• The Kraken has been unleashed upon the seas once again.
  • Alliances can now contain more than two crews.
  • When offered an Alliance by multiple crews, acceptance now only allies you with the closest ship.
  • Merchant Crates no longer display an incorrect maximum capacity when being filled.
  • Titles from shops are correctly removed when purchased.
  • Viewing the Brigantine from a far distance no longer makes its crow's nest appear to be on the front mast.
  • Skeletons will no longer dash through and get stuck in walls, causing issues with hidden skeletons in Forts and Order of Souls voyages.
  • Players can no longer scuttle their own ship and teleport chests back to their new spawn point.
  • Players can no longer glitch through the hull of the Brigantine to enter the ship.
  • The Brigantine stairs have been updated to stop players getting stuck underneath them and ejected from the ship.
  • Cannon explosions will no longer randomly be heard out of nowhere during normal gameplay.
  • Players on PC will now be able to select 'Options' after being invited to a game.
  • Corrected clipping issues with the Hunter Shirt, Hunter Pocket Watch and Bone Crusher Tankard.

Known Issues

• Bounty Skulls which are washed up on islands cannot be picked up.
  • We have a fix for this coming in a future update.
  • Players can come back from the Ferry of the Damned as a skeleton.
  • We have identified the issue and we're working on a fix.
  • Merchant Alliance crates which sink will not float to the surface and cannot be picked up.
  • The Hunter Jacket & Trousers are incorrectly Purple. This will be corrected to red in a future update.

bonus

FYI for everyone reading, the bugs this patch introduced are:

Pigs are unfeedable, they will consume the banana and still be hungry until they die

Kraken is unkillable

Athena’s voyages do not give you a second chapter

Penis telescopes

Gold skellies can’t be rusted with buckets

• Upvote 1

I played this the other night for the first time, and whilst I liked it, I wasn't really sure what was going on or what I was supposed to be doing. I'm not saying it needs loads of tutorials, but it could at least nudge you in the right direction after spawning you in a pub on a random island.

Properly funny fucking about on the boat whilst some poor twat tries to sail the boat (not grieving randomers, I'll hasten to add, I had partied up with some friends).

Whilst I'm here, is there a point to the game further than getting missions from the vendors?

It's awesome to be levelling up a bit more quickly now they're re-jigged the commendations.  Went solo slooping last night and got a shit load of loot from various voyages, joined an alliance with 4 other crews who also seemed to be grinding so the cash kept rolling in.  Much fun.  Now at 39-35-29 (I think). 

I also found out about the hunger striking pigs and the waterproof gold skellies the hard way....

The new inventory system will take a bit of getting used to, but I think they've got the right idea for storing different things.  The main problem is when you're trying to search for bananas midway through a fight and you're not used to seeing an inventory menu when you go to a barrel! 

1 hour ago, Keiths_Dad said:

I played this the other night for the first time, and whilst I liked it, I wasn't really sure what was going on or what I was supposed to be doing. I'm not saying it needs loads of tutorials, but it could at least nudge you in the right direction after spawning you in a pub on a random island.

Properly funny fucking about on the boat whilst some poor twat tries to sail the boat (not grieving randomers, I'll hasten to add, I had partied up with some friends).

Whilst I'm here, is there a point to the game further than getting missions from the vendors?

I think the main pull of the game is what I've bolded TBH!!  There's a lot of stuff to find, levels to work through - 50 levels in 3 different factions - but it takes AGES to get to Pirate Legend status (as @mechamonkeyhas achieved) which is when you've maxed out all 3 levels.

With some updates there's more of a campaign type goal - we had the Hungering Deep when crews had to team up to defeat a megalodon, we've just finished a campaign when crews fight skeleton ships and in a few weeks they're expanding the map to include the Foresaken Shores which should also add some campaign style content to it.

Basically it's a game that seems to be evolving week by week.  There's plenty more content now than there was at launch and when you're part of a crew it really is gaming at it's absolute best.  Finding such a crew can be a bit of an issue though. 

• Upvote 2

@Boothjan has it spot on there, if people are expecting a hand held story then will be dissapointed, if you want to be a pirate and feck about with your mates getting into the spirit of things, looting, fighting, laughing and being piratey it's a load of fun.
Play with a mic, muck about and enjoy the social interaction, the game bits are just to connect the dots to get you to them.
Honestly don't worry about level, there is almost zero point being a Legend at the moment but as Boothjan said, the game is evolving almost weekely, the devs really are doing a good job (bugs aside /titter)
Also post a pic of your sailor ! 

• Upvote 2

I've now given my pirate a name and back story, with help from my kids.

Captain Colin Redbeard.  Named because he's a Captain, and there are never enough Colins on the 7 seas.  Redbeard because he has a beard that is red.

Anyway, he's a very unique pirate because he was hit by a strange cursed cannonball when he was a young man, which means he sometimes wakes up with a hook for a hand and a peg leg.  Then other days, he has real limbs.  It can change from day to day, so Captain Colin has an incurable curse meaning he's a bit ratty some days.  He roams the 7 seas in an attempt to find a cure.  Even though there isn't one.  But he quite likes the lifestyle, so he will sail and sail forever more on his futile quest.

He fucking hates snakes and crewmates that bugger up missions for him (still in a huff about missing out on The Wilds commendation).

Boothjan_SeaofThieves_20180825_23-22-51.jpg

• Upvote 4

Tuesday's stream.  Quite an amusing adventure in places - they try to form an alliance with a ship who had just cleared a fort - but hadn't had time to open the door to the fort!  So they sank their ship and picked the key up from the sea :lol:

• Upvote 1

I've not played for a week as I've not had time.  Might go on tonight which will be the last chance I get til next Tuesday.  Then I'm away again for a few days.

1.2.5 Patch Notes

Ahoy pirates!

We're in the second and final week of the Cursed Crews Bilge Rat Adventure! It's your last chance to ensure you have the pistol, Eye of Reach, blunderbuss and cutlass from The Wailing Barnacle weapon set. These weapons are only available for this Bilge Rat Adventure, so make sure they're in your inventory before they disappear from the shops! The Commendations, Doubloons, and Titles will still be available after the event ends, but the time-limited cosmetics will no longer be up for grabs.

Patch 1.2.5 includes some updates to the barrel inventory system, key performance improvements, crash fixes and other fixes for known issues.

After feedback shared with us about the changes made to Barrels and inventory management in Patch 1.2.4, Design Director Mike Chapman gave further insight into why the changes were made and what the future holds for these systems.

In Patch 1.2.5, we see the first of our quality of life improvements to the barrel system. These improvements to empty barrel identification and resource level increases are the first of many improvements we have planned for future updates.

• Bilge Rat Doubloons - To reward pirates who keep the skeleton scourge at bay, Doubloons for Cursed Crews Commendations will remain available to earn even after the Cursed Crews Bilge Rat Adventure ends.
  • Empty Barrel Tooltip - Barrels now display a tooltip to indicate they are empty. Players will no longer need to interact with a barrel in order to discover there is nothing inside.
  • Resource Balancing - Barrels are less likely to be found empty in the world, helping to reducing the time taken to restock ships.
  • Quick Menu - The "Equipment" and "Resources" tabs within the Quick Menu have been swapped around as the "Resources" tab is used most commonly and should be the easiest to access.
  • Here, Take This... Too! - Players can now give and share treasure items in the same way they give and take cannonballs and bananas! Gunpowder Kegs and the Chest of a Thousand Grogs will still need to be dropped to be exchanged.

Fixed Issues

• Fixed issue with telescope clipping.
  • Caged pigs can now be fed again!
  • Bounty Skulls which are washed up on islands can now be picked up.
  • The Hunter Jacket and Trousers now display with their correct colours.
  • Solo sailor crews can now access Crew Privacy settings.
  • Items placed at the bow of the Brigantine can now be picked back up.
  • It is no longer possible to be kicked out of the ship's Cannonball Barrel inventory due to the ship's movement on the waves.
  • Players hit by the Emote Cursed Cannonball will no longer experience the hit animation when the effect wears off.
  • It is no longer possible to scroll through the UI on the Ship Selection Menu.
  • Shooting a Blunderbuss underwater will now display the correct VFX.

Known Issues

• Merchant Alliance crates on board a ship which sinks will not float to the surface and cannot be picked up - We have identified the issue and we're working on a fix.
  • Gold Metal Skeletons cannot be affected by buckets of water - We have a fix for this coming in a future update.

Patch Notes v1.2.5

Ahoy pirates!

We're in the second and final week of the Cursed Crews Bilge Rat Adventure! It's your last chance to ensure you have the pistol, Eye of Reach, blunderbuss and cutlass from The Wailing Barnacle weapon set. These weapons are only available for this Bilge Rat Adventure, so make sure they're in your inventory before they disappear from the shops! The Commendations, Doubloons, and Titles will still be available after the event ends, but the time-limited cosmetics will no longer be up for grabs.

Patch 1.2.5 includes some updates to the barrel inventory system, key performance improvements, crash fixes and other fixes for known issues.

Updates

After feedback shared with us about the changes made to Barrels and inventory management in Patch 1.2.4, Design Director Mike Chapman gave further insight into why the changes were made and what the future holds for these systems.

In Patch 1.2.5, we see the first of our quality of life improvements to the barrel system. These improvements to empty barrel identification and resource level increases are the first of many improvements we have planned for future updates.

Bilge Rat Doubloons - To reward pirates who keep the skeleton scourge at bay, Doubloons for Cursed Crews Commendations will remain available to earn even after the Cursed Crews Bilge Rat Adventure ends.

Empty Barrel Tooltip - Barrels now display a tooltip to indicate they are empty. Players will no longer need to interact with a barrel in order to discover there is nothing inside.

Resource Balancing - Barrels are less likely to be found empty in the world, helping to reducing the time taken to restock ships.

Quick Menu - The "Equipment" and "Resources" tabs within the Quick Menu have been swapped around as the "Resources" tab is used most commonly and should be the easiest to access.

Here, Take This... Too! - Players can now give and share treasure items in the same way they give and take cannonballs and bananas! Gunpowder Kegs and the Chest of a Thousand Grogs will still need to be dropped to be exchanged.

Fixed Issues

Fixed issue with telescope clipping.

Caged pigs can now be fed again!

Bounty Skulls which are washed up on islands can now be picked up.

The Hunter Jacket and Trousers now display with their correct colours.

Solo sailor crews can now access Crew Privacy settings.

Items placed at the bow of the Brigantine can now be picked back up.

It is no longer possible to be kicked out of the ship's Cannonball Barrel inventory due to the ship's movement on the waves.

Players hit by the Emote Cursed Cannonball will no longer experience the hit animation when the effect wears off.

It is no longer possible to scroll through the UI on the Ship Selection Menu.

Shooting a Blunderbuss underwater will now display the correct VFX.

Known Issues

Merchant Alliance crates on board a ship which sinks will not float to the surface and cannot be picked up.

We have identified the issue and we're working on a fix.

Gold Metal Skeletons cannot be affected by buckets of water.

We have a fix for this coming in a future update.

Dunno if you've had chance to watch the stream from the other day but Joe Neate did say new shanties are on their way. Which makes me more excited than the row boats tbh.

• Upvote 1

Get Gold Hoarders voyage - EIGHT chests on one map - set sail.

See another brig going to the outpost we've just left - turn around - attack, kill and sink them - FUCKLOADS of chests/skulls appear - cash in.  Lovely.

Finish Gold Hoarders voyage - head back to outpost - brig (possibly the one from earlier) is there - kill them and sink them AGAIN, nick their loot - cash in with the loot we found.  Lovely.

I love nights like that! :lol:

• Upvote 1

What's the point Boozy?  Rare have nerfed the pace and unobtrusive UI with the new inventory system.  Pirates are abandoning ship like rats on fire because of the game breaking change.

They really need to improve the interface soon as, or it'll be dead in the water by Christmas.

• Downvote 1

It's really not that bad at all - and they've explained why they've done it which makes perfect sense to me.  They intend to introduce a lot of new food and ammo items following the introduction of the cursed cannonballs.

The only minor irritation is having to get used to it but I've already done that.

Game breaking change indeed :lol:

• Upvote 1

Good for you, pompus pirate, but just because you've bent over and taken it don't assume others will.

The official site forum has a three part mega thread on why it's a shittier system and rollovers like you accepting a crafting game over a pirate adventure are part of the problem.

Introduce new items by all means, but not in a way that cripples fast combat situations and the ambience of the world.

• Downvote 3

Any need for a snotty response like that?  Calm down.

It does slow things down somewhat, but it's hardly a massive change that massively alters the game mechanics or enjoyment.  And as and when they introduce new features, surely this way makes much more sense?

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Any need for a snotty response like that?  Calm down.

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Game breaking change indeed :lol:

Top tip, laughing at someone doesn't calm them down.

• Downvote 3

You'll have to forgive Seaman Hair, captain of The Black Dildo. This man poked an eye out and fed one his legs to a shark to authenticate the SoT experience. The menu change came out of the blue and added a frustrating level of taking one out of the experience that has resulted in several crews that sail under the Bear and Badger banner to effectively quit seafaring in favour of less perilous pursuits.

TLDR : They fucked it.

• Upvote 1

- New merchant quests are called Cargo Runs

- Exploration focused, Leisurely campaign in Forsaken Shores where we discover the fate of the first crew who went to the Devils Roar. Not time focused

- Bilge Rat Adventures will now let you get doubloons after the event ends (already known us)

- No info to share on when the next Bilge rat adventure is but focus is on ensuring it goes smoother than Cursed Crews did!

- Behind the scenes on Cargo Runs coming this week