rllmuk
mechamonkey

Sea of Thieves - Crews of Rage

3 minutes ago, Sie said:

If your first play is dropping straight into match making and you're with 3 other randoms who've already started, I'm assuming it completely skips this?

Yes. I got the item wheel button prompt, and nothing else.

indeed, over any beta, I’ve not had anything approaching a tutorial...

1 hour ago, Yiggy said:

Genuine question. Please don’t shout. 

Why is there so much anger and vitriol towards this game from those who don’t like it? Especially when many of those people will not have paid full price for it?

I am dissapointed myself. They’ve clearly tried to passionately make a game and they have succeeded with the framework of the world. I personally as are many others getting a hell of a lot of enjoyment out of it where you can meet the entry criteria. The disappointment comes because even those loving the game can see that for whatever reason it’s probably not got enough to keep people interested right now. 

But that disappoints me. It doesn’t make me say it’s total dog shit or fucking awful or go on a rant as many people on here and moreso elsewhere have done. 

What is it about it that is making people so angry? Rather than just saying they don’t get it and either parking it for now or moving on. 

I don’t see what you are seeing - not in context of this forum, anyway. I think all the comments are fair and on point for a first party title four years in the making that had a load of beta testing and pre publicity.

remember back when Xbox was announced and we all bemoaned the advent of day one patching? This was the inevitable outcome - the game is nowhere near finished.

• Upvote 4

Yeah, that tutorial thing was not in the beta. They've added it for release but its no where near enough given the frustrations evident from posters here. I can only think the devs are so enamoured with their multiplayer concept, they've forgot to give people the breathing space to learn the game first.

1 hour ago, Yiggy said:

Genuine question. Please don’t shout. 

Why is there so much anger and vitriol towards this game from those who don’t like it? Especially when many of those people will not have paid full price for it?

Expectation, this could and should (and hopefully will) be utterly brilliant. There are so many simple ideas even just in this thread for what sorts of things you might or would hope be able to get up to, but when you find almost none of that is in the game whatsoever in what's a long-developed well-hyped game it's easy to see why instead of just "meh" people are more "what the fuck is this shit". It's the promise of a huge first party exclusive with time and love lavished upon it for years, and then getting something that comes across more like an early access game.

• Upvote 3

I don't see anger either.   I think there are a lot of people critical simply because they like the concept and want to like it.  They feel let down.   We all ignore countless bad games we don't care about.   The criticism comes from the disappointment.

• Upvote 4

I totally understand the frustrations. It should be a lot better than it is.

But I'm calling it now - it'll be a fuck ton better 6-12 months down the line. And yes, that might be too little too late for some but there's so much potential here that I'm going to keep the faith for now.

• Upvote 1

'Games as a service' is increasingly starting to mean put a downpayment on something that'll eventually maybe get to the level you expected from the game one day.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Designing the sea,

They had the sea working well enough to shift the focus of their work onto other aspects of the game two years ago. In fact, if you look at the unity prototype from longer ago than that, the sea was functional then. Not anything like the polish it has now, but it shouldn't have taken an entire dev team two years or more to polish it.

No studio I've ever worked at would have been happy just making the sea and/or the sailing better for that length of time. I can only assume that they had a very frustrating couple of years of adding things that later got removed for some reason (the feature genuinely didn't work, or Microsoft didn't like it, or infighting at the studio screwed it up or something).

Or there was actually only a very small team working on it. But what the rest of the studio were doing for those years is a mystery, if that's the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you see someone running about it's absolutely pointless starting a fight with them other than to troll them. If they're not carrying treasure you don't get their gold coins, you just send them back to the spirit world?

On sea obviously, it's different as you don't know what they're carrying but still. 

50 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

What has Rare been doing for 4 years?

Honestly, I think they've been doing something that's extremely difficult.   Building an original MMO game which is based around fostering co-operation over combat.   With no other game as a proven template they had to develop the mechanics from scratch and get them to work.   A game like Destiny (for example) was built on proven mechanics (Halo) put into the MMO framework.   The proven mechanics meant they knew the game would be fun on a moment-to-moment basis and the audience would be familiar with them.   Sea Of Thieves is trying something new.  Players had to learn new mechanics and new ways to interact with each other.

If something went wrong I think it was the decision to go ahead with the launch before the game was properly finished.  That decision was probably not Rare's.   These are the decisions which separate Nintendo and Blizzard from everyone else.   They get the game right before launch (most of the time).  Partly because they can afford to do that but getting it right is *why* they can afford to do it.

MS might be better just making dropping the £50 version and making it free with gamepass or live.  

• Upvote 5

Hmm. I haven't heard anyone mention that happening so far. 

Speaking of screenshots, there needs to be more pirate posting. Post yer pirates! Here's my dapper lookin' fellow.

BfcXHkC.jpg

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Sorry if it's been mentioned but is there an issue with this and screenshots not showing on XboxDVR.com? Everything else I've been playing has been appearing no problem.

None of my DVR stuff is appearing on there, nor is the onedrive upload working. However sharing to twitter seems to work. 

IMG_20180324_113321.thumb.jpg.fdb360ca05ba853405a873728d801fae.jpg

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

They had the sea working well enough to shift the focus of their work onto other aspects of the game two years ago. In fact, if you look at the unity prototype from longer ago than that, the sea was functional then. Not anything like the polish it has now, but it shouldn't have taken an entire dev team two years or more to polish it.

No studio I've ever worked at would have been happy just making the sea and/or the sailing better for that length of time. I can only assume that they had a very frustrating couple of years of adding things that later got removed for some reason (the feature genuinely didn't work, or Microsoft didn't like it, or infighting at the studio screwed it up or something).

Or there was actually only a very small team working on it. But what the rest of the studio were doing for those years is a mystery, if that's the case.

I wasn't being entirely serious mate 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sie said:

Hmm. I haven't heard anyone mention that happening so far. 

Speaking of screenshots, there needs to be more pirate posting. Post yer pirates! Here's my dapper lookin' fellow.

BfcXHkC.jpg

Oh nooo I've just noticed the health bar! Always eat a banana before taking a screenshot ;)

4 minutes ago, stefcha said:

God damn it how long is it down today, this is scheduled downtime, right? It's like they don't want anyone to even try and get into it.

It's scheduled. Due to finish at 2pm but don't hold your breath.

3 minutes ago, Sie said:

It's scheduled. Due to finish at 2pm but don't hold your breath.

It's OK, I literally cannot hold my breath for an hour and 19 minutes anyway.

• Upvote 2

I suppose given that the engine was already built, there isn't really anything in the way of stuff to do or story and the art style can't have taken longer than 5 minutes you do have to wonder how much coke those guys at Rare were getting through during development.

• Downvote 4

I paid full price for it.

I knew next to nothing about it and fancied buying a new xbox game on what happened to be launch day. This seemed like a good shout as the youtube videos looks good and the world seemed beautiful. I also have a soft spot for pirates.

In this world of Zeldas and Assasins Creeds I expected a game world full of stuff to do (either on your own or in a crew). Taking on Merchant Ships, Trading, Raids on forts - epic sea battles against the British etc etc.

But what I exprienced on my first successful log on (it took me about half day a get that far) was some text instructions - and being dropped onto an island with some other players that were nowhere to be seen. I had no idea what I was supposed to do. After a couple more games I experienced getting locked in the brig multiple times by the other players (for reasons i dont quite understand) and endless wondering about the exquistit lookimg scenary with very little to do.

I think the disconnect for me comes from my expectations of a modern AA video game. This one has been entirely misrepresented. Its more like an indy game by a small team of developers. I've had one or two games that have been great (when everyone is working as a team) but they are few and far between (with randoms anyway).

Im amazed MS felt this was good enough to release as it is. Because it really isnt up to scratch for a big release. Its more like an experiment.

The good news is I bought an digital code from Amazon - and when I requested a refund based on the fact it never connected online they refunded me.

Without some sort of rapid and MAJOR content updates I think this game is DOA. As J Pickford said earlier in the thread this really feels like Rare's last game.

Just had some luck with LFG and found a couple of Americans. Teamed up with a fourth guy without a mic and went and did some skull captain bounties. 

I really enjoyed it. Simple, but fun. The guy I was playing with was level 15 so doing his quests was much better than crappy level 1 quests and I went from Level 1 to level 4 and 6 for the Merchants/Souls guilds in one go. 

He also taught me some nifty tricks like how to glide across the water using power attacks. 

Tried it again this afternoon. 

Nope... It's just not for me. Vet little to actually do, and it genuinely feels like an alpha test.  

Just dreadful. 

So I went back to playing on PSVR... 

• Upvote 1