Alexlotl

That Skunk Anansie album is an absolute steal for 10p! as is the System of a Down album, I know its cliche to say "oh I prefer their first album" when discussing bands but Spiders was the first song I heard by them and remains one of my favourites now and Sugar, whilst popular, deserves as much love as alot of what they did on Toxicity

Also bought some vintage Shamen albums on eBay. In Gorbachev We Trust and Different Drum for £12.99.

7CA10AAE-1458-48E1-9A21-9C8627A67066.jpeg.109c42e055c3d883a2c52f5d0fbdfaed.jpeg

The former I remember seeing in Cash Converters many moons ago and I’ve always regretted passing it up as I’ve never seen it again since. It’s not great, if I’m honest. Maybe a couple of good tracks but it’s too Indie for my tastes. 

The latter I had owned and sold previously but I don’t seem to have a digital copy. The instrumental tracks are probably the best stuff on there. None of the remixes really hit the spot. 

The two Art Blakey Blue Notes are classics. There's a version of "Night In Tunisia" on the Birdland record that remains a favourite of mine.

You've got a nice little jazz collection building there. Time to pour yourself a shot of bourbon, dim the lights, open a copy of Howl by Allen Ginsberg, and start channelling your inner hep-cat.

On 12/11/2022 at 11:52, acidbearboy said:

The latter I had owned and sold previously but I don’t seem to have a digital copy. The instrumental tracks are probably the best stuff on there. None of the remixes really hit the spot. 

I was pleased to find Different Drum whilst browsing used CDs a few years ago. Hearing the isolated hooks in things like the Fatman instrumental is satisfying. :) 

A dump of some recent acquisitions.

spacer.png

Charity shop finds - a bunch of King Crimson, and Bowler Hat Soup by Kiran Leonard. King Crimson are one of those bands I knew by reputation, but had never heard. After listening, I think I prefer Fripp as a seasoning than as a main course. The Kiran Leonard is fun, Marc Riley used to play Geraldo's Farm a lot.

spacer.png

Some trades from another forum. All three are great! The H17 and Blue Nile both have Pre-Emphasis, despite Hats being from 1989 - very unusual. The PCO disc is a compilation from the mid-90s that seems quite nicely mastered, would be a good one stop shop if those were your tastes (I'm going to chase down all the albums, though).

The kittens in the background love Hats, it just blisses them out and they go to sleep.

spacer.png

A random selection from the car boot. Somehow I've never owned any Royskopp - fun to hear Karin Dreijer from The Knife pop up on one track. Help was an interesting nostalgia trip for 50p, but won't be sticking around. Pleased with Siamese Dream, which is a nice old Nimbus disc.

spacer.png

A bunch from Music Magpie with a 20% off voucher. Dare! sounds fantastic, although it has pre-emphasis again, so caution. The Blondie is one of the favoured mid-90s UK remasterings which are moderately hard to find. The Ultravox! (Jonh Foxx era) is an original Island Master disc, but it's on UK PDO and is a bit of a worrying colour - still playing OK right now, though. It's fantastic, IMO! So different from the Midge Ure era, and yet it has that same driving drumming.

spacer.png

The last car boot of the season. Royskopp's debut, a very early Rolling Stones CD with MFSL mastering, and what looks l like an early 2000s re-issue of A Secret Wish by Propoganda, which nicely puts the cap on a seaon of synth pop exploration - the ultimate fusion of Dusseldorf and UK sound. It's very good, and seems well mastered for the era.

spacer.png

More stuff from Magpie on another 20% off, cost about £9.75 the lot. All original masterings and sounding great. Having heard post-split Human League and H17, Travelogue is fascinatingly different from the resultant halves. Not sure Up Tight is for the ages, but it was the last Booker T & The MGs album I was missing. The PCO is wonderful, and Robert Cray is reliably excellent.

So...

I've been on the look out for a CD player to put in my living room.  I've been keeping an eye on gumtree and facebook marketplace for a while now, but not much has been appearing.  The occasional Sony or Pioneer separate CD player for a few hundred pounds, with no remote, or an unnamed midi system.  There was a little Panasonic recently that I was tempted by, thinking I could simply use the Aux out to my surround sound.  Today however, I hit the jackpot, well, almost.  I've got myself a bit of a project...

I drove 45 minutes each way to collect my lovely Bang & Olufsen BeoSound Overture.  CD, Tape and tuner midi system.  It's such a stunning looking thing. 

Ambient lighting, glass doors that silently open automatically, like magic as you approach, and a Beo4 remote controller that weighs about a kilo and has all the buttons you'd need to operate, presumably your B&O TV and DVD player too!

And with it, single piece aluminium constructed BeoLab 6000 active loudspeakers. 

It looks and sounds beautiful! Well, almost.  The rubber foam around the speakers is deteriorating so at anything more than a moderate volume it distorts a little, so it seems I have a project, to remove the speakers, and try to remove the rubber and replace with something like this kit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165787207446 which presumably needs some glue too.  Anyone done anything like this before?

2D0BB850-80ED-40BA-AEF0-BDD62686A028.jpeg

2858AA8B-39BA-4830-A327-1C49A34A5E9D.jpeg

1187E60E-CCA4-449A-96EC-390206B73BE1.jpeg

12E7F3AF-A405-4DD7-BF69-D0586D30E23A.jpeg

10 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

A dump of some recent acquisitions.

spacer.png

Charity shop finds - a bunch of King Crimson, and Bowler Hat Soup by Kiran Leonard. King Crimson are one of those bands I knew by reputation, but had never heard. After listening, I think I prefer Fripp as a seasoning than as a main course. The Kiran Leonard is fun, Marc Riley used to play Geraldo's Farm a lot.

spacer.png

Some trades from another forum. All three are great! The H17 and Blue Nile both have Pre-Emphasis, despite Hats being from 1989 - very unusual. The PCO disc is a compilation from the mid-90s that seems quite nicely mastered, would be a good one stop shop if those were your tastes (I'm going to chase down all the albums, though).

The kittens in the background love Hats, it just blisses them out and they go to sleep.

spacer.png

A random selection from the car boot. Somehow I've never owned any Royskopp - fun to hear Karin Dreijer from The Knife pop up on one track. Help was an interesting nostalgia trip for 50p, but won't be sticking around. Pleased with Siamese Dream, which is a nice old Nimbus disc.

spacer.png

A bunch from Music Magpie with a 20% off voucher. Dare! sounds fantastic, although it has pre-emphasis again, so caution. The Blondie is one of the favoured mid-90s UK remasterings which are moderately hard to find. The Ultravox! (Jonh Foxx era) is an original Island Master disc, but it's on UK PDO and is a bit of a worrying colour - still playing OK right now, though. It's fantastic, IMO! So different from the Midge Ure era, and yet it has that same driving drumming.

spacer.png

The last car boot of the season. Royskopp's debut, a very early Rolling Stones CD with MFSL mastering, and what looks l like an early 2000s re-issue of A Secret Wish by Propoganda, which nicely puts the cap on a seaon of synth pop exploration - the ultimate fusion of Dusseldorf and UK sound. It's very good, and seems well mastered for the era.

spacer.png

More stuff from Magpie on another 20% off, cost about £9.75 the lot. All original masterings and sounding great. Having heard post-split Human League and H17, Travelogue is fascinatingly different from the resultant halves. Not sure Up Tight is for the ages, but it was the last Booker T & The MGs album I was missing. The PCO is wonderful, and Robert Cray is reliably excellent.

Some great ones there! 

Luxury Gap / Penthouse and Pavement - the title track with the piano stabs - sounds like the start of House music. If that is the original mastering of Luxury Gap then "Lady Ice and Mr Hex" is a great turn-it-up demo for CD dynamics

Travelogue / Dare and A Secret Wish - exceptional

Penguin Café - probably has their most recognisable tracks on this

Blue Nile - overhyped as great IMO - I don't get it

Heaven or Las Vegas - got married to the title track

Kiran Leonard - saw him live at the first Radio 6 Music festival in Manchester and chatted to his manager who was standing next to us - he was great - but sort of dropped off the map after this album. Shame

King Crimson RED - heavy man!

54 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Some great ones there! 

Luxury Gap / Penthouse and Pavement - the title track with the piano stabs - sounds like the start of House music. If that is the original mastering of Luxury Gap then "Lady Ice and Mr Hex" is a great turn-it-up demo for CD dynamics

Travelogue / Dare and A Secret Wish - exceptional

Penguin Café - probably has their most recognisable tracks on this

Blue Nile - overhyped as great IMO - I don't get it

Heaven or Las Vegas - got married to the title track

Kiran Leonard - saw him live at the first Radio 6 Music festival in Manchester and chatted to his manager who was standing next to us - he was great - but sort of dropped off the map after this album. Shame

King Crimson RED - heavy man!

Agreed on Penthouse, it's the drum rhythms that are quite startlingly modern. Luxury Gap seems to be a later remastering without pre-emphasis, but it still sounds pretty dynamic. Sounds like it's had a rough time on CD, with at least one version having pre-emphasised audio but no flags to decode it properly!

Blue Nile is an interesting one, it didn't click with me at first, feeling a bit smooth in production and earnest in delivery. But for all that I've been enjoying early synth pop for the amount of air in the mix, this has a semi-ambient synth bed under everything which combined with the vocal style just feels weirdly comforting. It gives me the "I'm dog tired, but right now things are OK" feelings I'd get when trying to resettle my kids at stupid o'clock when they were babies. I think it's that same vibe that knocks the cats out.

I think Kiran Leonard went off to study at Oxford Uni, as he was obscenely precocious and put out Bowler Hat Soup at age 17. Looks like he put someone new out late last year, but it was a collection of older recordings, so not sure whether he's still properly active.

I'd like to pick up more Cocteau Twins, but it doesn't turn up much. I found Four Calendar Cafe at the car boot this year, so I'm two albums in. Think I'm happy to play the long game, though.

1 hour ago, Corranga said:

So...

I've been on the look out for a CD player to put in my living room.  I've been keeping an eye on gumtree and facebook marketplace for a while now, but not much has been appearing.  The occasional Sony or Pioneer separate CD player for a few hundred pounds, with no remote, or an unnamed midi system.  There was a little Panasonic recently that I was tempted by, thinking I could simply use the Aux out to my surround sound.  Today however, I hit the jackpot, well, almost.  I've got myself a bit of a project...

I drove 45 minutes each way to collect my lovely Bang & Olufsen BeoSound Overture.  CD, Tape and tuner midi system.  It's such a stunning looking thing. 

Ambient lighting, glass doors that silently open automatically, like magic as you approach, and a Beo4 remote controller that weighs about a kilo and has all the buttons you'd need to operate, presumably your B&O TV and DVD player too!

And with it, single piece aluminium constructed BeoLab 6000 active loudspeakers. 

It looks and sounds beautiful! Well, almost.  The rubber foam around the speakers is deteriorating so at anything more than a moderate volume it distorts a little, so it seems I have a project, to remove the speakers, and try to remove the rubber and replace with something like this kit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165787207446 which presumably needs some glue too.  Anyone done anything like this before?

2D0BB850-80ED-40BA-AEF0-BDD62686A028.jpeg

2858AA8B-39BA-4830-A327-1C49A34A5E9D.jpeg

1187E60E-CCA4-449A-96EC-390206B73BE1.jpeg

12E7F3AF-A405-4DD7-BF69-D0586D30E23A.jpeg

Good luck with it. I've had half an eye on a B&O CD player, one of the few companies that thought CD players could be centrepieces, as much as record players could. Mostly everyone else went the rack style box.

On 30/11/2022 at 21:44, Ste_S said:

Good luck with it. I've had half an eye on a B&O CD player, one of the few companies that thought CD players could be centrepieces, as much as record players could. Mostly everyone else went the rack style box.

This is exactly what was in my mind too. The design is lovely, not just another box.

Perhaps this isn’t the right thread, but we’ve spoke CD players in here before so I’m sticking with it for now.  

Following on from my last post, I’ve ordered a repair kit which is basically some replacement rubber surrounds, some glue and a brush to apply. The kit is shipping from a place in the Netherlands, so who knows when it’ll turn up.

Meanwhile, I’ve got the screwdriver, scalpel and isopropyl alcohol out and set about dismantling speakers that cost a few thousand quid new if you adjust for inflation 😳

Cutting the old rubber from around the paper cone without damaging the cone was challenging but it’s done now…

You can see the problem here, the material is basically disintegrating. I’m not putting much pressure on the cone at all, just enough to show the break clearly.

B848ED5A-31B6-4672-8B1B-91E301D49407.jpeg.7b25307a5a41c49f8f6e1e94c85132a0.jpeg

Talking to a speaker with a knife feels all kinds of wrong 

3441E41F-9EE5-4EFB-A8C4-2DFB1A133494.jpeg.e28feec955982e2b6f6e64a2cc466d2d.jpeg

Once cut, I had to go all the way around with the scalpel blade horizontally to cut off the paper overlay covering up the glue underneath, then scrape / clean the glue off so the new stuff will stick. You can see the rough edges on the cone here too, the next step was too trim that back to round, removing as much of the old rubber as possible. The original glue on the back of the cone is left alone as you’d destroy the cone trying to remove it.

7D385D1E-8749-4C17-B018-73FC3D45CF4D.jpeg.5c235c4d41855793530e2318781b9dd0.jpeg

And here we have it, 4 speakers looking all wrong, but nice and clean, with space around the now very round looking cones, waiting for a delivery from The Netherlands 😂

29D1C3E9-CBC9-4C88-A282-86C195EFCAE2.jpeg.5c3eccdf7af6153d01d4017b70e98407.jpeg

You're a braver man than I with a steadier hand!

Just here to post my haul from November, I now need more shelves (list in spoiler tags)

uOxbv4z.jpeg

Spoiler

Loyle Carner - yesterday's gone
Kanye West - the college dropout
The beach boys - stars and Stripes vol. 1
Strangers know more - rumours, lies, tears & tantrums
Outlast - speakerbox/ the love below
Death in Vegas - the Contino sessions
The bluetones - expecting to fly
Soul II soul - vol. II (1999 A new decade)
Biffy clyro - only revolutions
Loyle Carner - Hugo
Symposium - do you remember how it was? 1996/1999
Faithless -  outrospective
Elbow - the take off and landing of everything
The hives - tyrannosaurus hives
Diablerie - seraphyde
Kypck -3epo
Diablerie - the catalyst vol 1 control
Kypck -nmeha ha ctehe
Decoder - noisenik
Dive - dive
Eminem - the Eminem show
Feeder - pushing the senses
The cure - wish (30th anniversary remaster)
The shame - boss drum
The cardigans - gran Turismo
Foo fighters - in your honour
Pulp - different class
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Legend
Crawlers - loud without noise
Top Gun - original motion picture soundtrack

53 minutes ago, Corranga said:

This is exactly what was in my mind too. The design is lovely, not just another box.

Perhaps this isn’t the right thread, but we’ve spoke CD players in here before so I’m sticking with it for now.  

Following on from my last post, I’ve ordered a repair kit which is basically some replacement rubber surrounds, some glue and a brush to apply. The kit is shipping from a place in the Netherlands, so who knows when it’ll turn up.

Meanwhile, I’ve got the screwdriver, scalpel and isopropyl alcohol out and set about dismantling speakers that cost a few thousand quid new if you adjust for inflation 😳

Cutting the old rubber from around the paper cone without damaging the cone was challenging but it’s done now…

You can see the problem here, the material is basically disintegrating. I’m not putting much pressure on the cone at all, just enough to show the break clearly.

B848ED5A-31B6-4672-8B1B-91E301D49407.jpeg.7b25307a5a41c49f8f6e1e94c85132a0.jpeg

Talking to a speaker with a knife feels all kinds of wrong 

3441E41F-9EE5-4EFB-A8C4-2DFB1A133494.jpeg.e28feec955982e2b6f6e64a2cc466d2d.jpeg

Once cut, I had to go all the way around with the scalpel blade horizontally to cut off the paper overlay covering up the glue underneath, then scrape / clean the glue off so the new stuff will stick. You can see the rough edges on the cone here too, the next step was too trim that back to round, removing as much of the old rubber as possible. The original glue on the back of the cone is left alone as you’d destroy the cone trying to remove it.

7D385D1E-8749-4C17-B018-73FC3D45CF4D.jpeg.5c235c4d41855793530e2318781b9dd0.jpeg

And here we have it, 4 speakers looking all wrong, but nice and clean, with space around the now very round looking cones, waiting for a delivery from The Netherlands 😂

29D1C3E9-CBC9-4C88-A282-86C195EFCAE2.jpeg.5c3eccdf7af6153d01d4017b70e98407.jpeg

Great job so far, I hope it all works out!

56 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

I've only got wall mounted space.

I've got four of these from B&M and have space for more, they're the perfect size and we're about £4 each iirc

dt2rIoL.jpeg

Nearly managed to get the first two Royal Blood albums for 10p each only to open the cases and find the wrong discs in there (and no matching cases for those discs), didn't have time to have a proper look through 

1 hour ago, wev said:

You're a braver man than I with a steadier hand!

Brave, or perhaps stupid, I don’t know, but, I only paid £50 for the player and speakers so not a huge amount to lose if I screw it all up, plus another £20 for the repair kit.

With replacement for the broken speakers costing £68 each, it seemed worth a go, and I’d presume the replacements would be pretty old too as the Beolab 6000 themselves seem to have gone out of production in 2010 or so.

When the seller tested the system (with Christmas by Daniel O’Donnell!) it sounded fine, I’m not sure they knew there was a problem at all

• 4 weeks later...

I should really be happy with this 5 for a quid…

75B7054A-C1F8-4ABA-8B95-5F8E6A61CB26.jpeg.2cc9c5c8fb2edc161f11fbd7d5d328a9.jpeg

…but charity shop or not, this feels a little sour.

A7F6CA4F-4AB1-4E19-A522-C0E92DB7065D.jpeg.88412a3b12a6f52eb7064bb8d38d3ff9.jpeg

1 missing, and “I want Unknown Pleasures, na, let’s have the SFA’s singles said no one ever 😂

A reminder to always check your purchases!

If you're lucky, the Kula Shaker will be empty too.

Vicariously gutted for you regarding Unknown Pleasures, though. I always check the disc, and if they're taped shut, I take them to the counter and ask to check*. I've still managed to cock up a few times, though. I once bought what I thought was The Divine Comedy's Absent Friends album at the car boot sale. When I got it home I discovered that a) it was only the Maxi Single of the same name, not the album, and b) the disc inside was Motown Chartbusters 2. On the plus side, I gave my mum the Motown disc and she really enjoyed it, using it to exercise to during lockdown.

That Neil Finn album is pretty great, BTW - his solo work is generally very solid, and better than the reformed Crowded House stuff, IMO.

* and don't ever just cut the tape with my keychain Swiss Army Knife, honest, because some people got very angry when I said I did that.

12 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

If you're lucky, the Kula Shaker will be empty too.

That Neil Finn album is pretty great, BTW - his solo work is generally very solid, and better than the reformed Crowded House stuff, IMO.

The Kula Shaker album was popular when I was in high school so I thought I’d give it a go.

The Neil Finn album was the one I was most curious about and the only I’ve given a spin (not so hard when there’s only 3 of the 5 mind!) and it seemed pretty solid, it’s certainly earned another few listens through.

The charity shop I picked them up in was basically easy listening hell though, they had half a shelf of Susan Boyle, all the same CD in a row, and a sea of Robbie Williams, Alfie Boe and Buble. 6 or 7 shop shelves, double width, and 4 storage boxes below and that’s the 5 I picked out. Didn’t fancy Celtic connections or the other 50 pan pipe tributes either. I love CDs but that place is an instant reminder of the utter waste of plastic they’ve created!

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/12/2022 at 23:47, Corranga said:

The Kula Shaker album was popular when I was in high school so I thought I’d give it a go.

The Neil Finn album was the one I was most curious about and the only I’ve given a spin (not so hard when there’s only 3 of the 5 mind!) and it seemed pretty solid, it’s certainly earned another few listens through.

The charity shop I picked them up in was basically easy listening hell though, they had half a shelf of Susan Boyle, all the same CD in a row, and a sea of Robbie Williams, Alfie Boe and Buble. 6 or 7 shop shelves, double width, and 4 storage boxes below and that’s the 5 I picked out. Didn’t fancy Celtic connections or the other 50 pan pipe tributes either. I love CDs but that place is an instant reminder of the utter waste of plastic they’ve created!

It's like panning for gold. And if you have the patience you really can find gold because no-one gives a shit about CDs these days largely thanks to the vinyl fetishists*. 

* I do own vinyl and have a turntable but I am sick of the "vinyl is better" bullshit I still hear.