IGNORED

Great CD Revival

Alexlotl

On 05/06/2022 at 09:04, Exidor said:

We were having a bit of a jubilee loft clear out yesterday and I found these from back in the cave man times before there was music on the internet.

rllmukcds.thumb.jpg.a764663be582b2bf9a4a2d16f610ee26.jpg

Part of the fun of the great cd exchange at the time was the mystery of not having a tracklist and just listening to the music with no preconceptions. Of course, now, 15 years on, it's a pain in the arse because there's some good tunes on these and I'm going to have to shazam them all to work them out now.

I remember making that halloween cd! I am going to say with reasonable certainty that at least one of the tracks on there is Zombie by Xavier Cugat Orchestra:

6 hours ago, ZOK said:

I remember making that halloween cd! I am going to say with reasonable certainty that at least one of the tracks on there is Zombie by Xavier Cugat Orchestra:

It certainly is. It's a great mix - halloween themed but not all doomy goth stuff.

Those were great compilations all round, I discovered some amazing music through those CDs…Nico’s These Days I first heard through one someone sent me I remember. The Distance by Cake is another, but there were stacks!

When was that…I’m guessing it must have been 2004/5 or something.

On 15/06/2022 at 22:16, englishbob said:

24 bit digitally remastered CDs make excellent drinks coasters 

Because those labels are often a sign that those discs are victims of the Loudness War?

48 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Because those labels are often a sign that those discs are victims of the Loudness War?

Yeah - the Bowie and The The ones are possibly the worst things you can hear. Bowie's were especially bad because they also seem to denoise them a bit, take out some of the tape hiss, and in the process took out (what I perceive to be) certain frequencies that gave the recording a sense of air and space.

I'm going through a phase of picking up older mastered CD's from the 80's (and very early 90's) and just using my volume control to turn it up

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2022 at 21:10, Alexlotl said:

This Manics album passed me by, having left in disgust when This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours came out. It's pretty good, even if it's a unashamed pastiche of their Holy Bible era style, complete with lyrics left behind by Richie Edwards. The glossy, wavy bollocks still shines through the meticulously applied dirt in places, though. Still, it's a keeper.

I basically remember wanting more of the songs on that album to be like the hidden track at the end, or Peeled Apples, as in really ferocious. Unfortunately it didn't deliver on that, but I still happy for it to have a place in my CD collection.

I miss the days when physical media ruled the roost and you could find some actual bargains in the HMV sale, maybe even take a chance on something because it was just a couple of quid and find a real gem.

Then the stupid internet spoiled* it all by making everything available at all times.

*it didn't really, did it?

HMV isn’t bad for CDs. Prices for current releases are broadly similar to other places, and they often sell back catalogue stuff for cheap. Their vinyl prices are lolsome, however.

Edit- I was in Left for Dead records in Shrewsbury yesterday, which advertises vinyl and CDs outside, but no CDs to be found inside. I was the second person in 5mins to ask where the CDs have gone, proof positive the revival is happening. Or something. 

CD and record fair in Narberth, South Wales yesterday. Lovely people manning the stalls. These were from about a dozen boxes - £2 singles, £3 doubles.

783FD508-A0D8-425F-B6AC-E96425110057.thumb.jpeg.c311de0800df8a57aa036e395941bfc5.jpeg

Black Box I’m intrigued to see if there’s anything close to Ride on Time on. Pacific State is a compo of Japanese electronica, featuring Ken Ishi from the Rez soundtrack. Excited about that. I’m a Prince novice but happy to explore. Kylie one is Deconstruction albums plus b-sides. 

The Smiths one was a real head scratcher. I thought it was a home made sleeve to one of the WEA best ofs but then I couldn’t match the track listing, which is singles plus Oscillate Wildly and Still Ill at the end. Checked the code on the (properly printed) disc and it turns out to be a Bulgarian release! 

Anyway, I love CDs.

I have that Black Box LP on vinyl. I’ve not listened to it for a long time but I remember liking the cover version of Earth, Wind & Fire - Fantasy on there. It has a great bassline, very typical of 89/90. Just listening to the album now on Spotify and there are some more vocal house tracks on there (Strike It Up is probably the best of the rest) but there’s nothing to equal the perfection of Ride on Time. Loleatta Holloway’s powerful vocal, which Black Box sampled from her disco classic Love Sensation, elevates it beyond any imitators. The title track is a lovely little ambient/Balearic mood piece that deserves more than the two minutes runtime given. I had it on repeat about five times. The other non 4/4 track on there is Ghost Box, a nice downtempo saxstrumental. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2022 at 13:38, Fireproofradiator said:

CD and record fair in Narberth, South Wales yesterday. Lovely people manning the stalls. These were from about a dozen boxes - £2 singles, £3 doubles.

783FD508-A0D8-425F-B6AC-E96425110057.thumb.jpeg.c311de0800df8a57aa036e395941bfc5.jpeg

Black Box I’m intrigued to see if there’s anything close to Ride on Time on. Pacific State is a compo of Japanese electronica, featuring Ken Ishi from the Rez soundtrack. Excited about that. I’m a Prince novice but happy to explore. Kylie one is Deconstruction albums plus b-sides. 

The Smiths one was a real head scratcher. I thought it was a home made sleeve to one of the WEA best ofs but then I couldn’t match the track listing, which is singles plus Oscillate Wildly and Still Ill at the end. Checked the code on the (properly printed) disc and it turns out to be a Bulgarian release! 

Anyway, I love CDs.

I remember when that Black Box album came out. Even as a twelve year old I always thought the lady on the cover was having a shit.

I’ve gone down the cd rabbit hole after finding a ‘broken’ Sony Discman on a portabello road market stall for £4. It wasn’t broken, he just had the batteries in the wrong way found. It was a D-11 model and I gave it a spin a home and was completely amazed at the sound quality, it far surpassed my airpod pros.

Since then I’ve picked up a variety of Discmans culminating in my favourite one, the D-777, one of the pinnacles of Discman design. I found one with a broken lid hinge on eBay for £20 and fixed it in 5 mins with a small hobby drill, toothpick and super glue. It sounds glorious and has decent uncompressed anti skip protection, one of the only ones to offer it.

887092D9-9FDD-4DC0-888E-FFCD436FF27E.jpeg

I’ve been like a pig in shit lapping up cheap cds, pivoting from vinyl that is now laughably expensive. CDs for a few quid each. My best purchase was a job lot of 122 Power/Thrash/Death metal from a reviewer in the 98-04 period, all promos. I’d heard of a few and loved them but many bands were new. It’s great to listen to random stuff.

I find due to having wife and kids, the hifi doesn’t get much use at the moment, so the D-777 comes out in bed at night when I usually listen to an album in the dark, it’s wonderful.

@erhgiez Love the sound out of my Discman, I use mine with a pair of Grado SR60 and it's all I need for listening to CDs with headphones, really. Like you I've had good fun tinkering with them also, my D121 was skipping a bit on reading CDs, especially at the start. Cleaned and re-greased the laser sled rails, and now works without skipping.

Also been kicking the arse out of cheap CDs, I've built up a collection of about 100 Blue Note CDs over the past year, amongst other things. Hate to think what it would of cost me buying them on vinyl.

On 23/07/2022 at 09:22, erhgiez said:

I find due to having wife and kids, the hifi doesn’t get much use at the moment, so the D-777 comes out in bed at night when I usually listen to an album in the dark, it’s wonderful.

This is me and might be a trend in this community. Falling asleep to this is my microdosing.

• 3 weeks later...

So I was getting tired of having to turn my desktop PC on every time I just wanted to do something with a CD (first-world problems), and last weekend I ordered a cheap little boombox to sit on a shelf in the room. It's a Bush CD-78B-BTFM - about £30. The sound is far from great but in terms of pure convenience it's a much better solution for me, and it has Bluetooth so I can play things from my phone. It's genuinely great to have an actual CD player for the first time in what feels like years. :) 

Bush-CD-Bluetooth-Aux-Boombox-Silver-CD-

I think Discogs is as bad as eBay at times for buying stuff, but for different reasons. eBay has pictures, Discogs doesn't - unless the seller uploads them and links them in from somewhere else - which is never seen to happen, so this makes things difficult if the seller doesn't check things properly.

I've had a frustrating conversation on Discogs this week with a seller that appears to run an actual physical record shop - attempting to obtain a hybrid CD/SACD title I've been after. Given there are so many versions of the release in question I wanted to check with them that the version I wanted was actually the one they'd put up for sale - believe me you end up getting a different item a lot of the time where they don't check.

Me (on Saturday) : Hi - I just wanted to check with you before purchasing please, that the edition you have listed as selling is actually the hybrid CD/SACD version from 2002 please?  You have it listed as such, but wanted to double check - Thanks

Seller (on Sunday): ill get back to you tomorrow

Me: (on Sunday): Thank you!

Seller (on Monday): NOT SURE WHICH ONE YOU MEAN

Me (on Monday): It's the one you are listing for sale

Nothing else now from him now - FML

I’ve also resorted to forensic questioning on Discogs after getting an incorrect item on my first purchase - an original Danish Crunchy Frog disc of Don’t Stop The Beat by Junior Senior, which turned out to be the bog standard Universal Europe CD with the crappy remixes. This has weeded out a few duds, but I’ve had two incorrect items sent even after drilling the sellers. They’ve always given me full refunds without having to return the item, though.

It pisses me off, as the entire point of Discogs is the specificity. There’s a reason why there are 85 entries for this album; find the correct one. If you just want to move shit in bulk, go to eBay.

11 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

I’ve also resorted to forensic questioning on Discogs after getting an incorrect item on my first purchase - an original Danish Crunchy Frog disc of Don’t Stop The Beat by Junior Senior, which turned out to be the bog standard Universal Europe CD with the crappy remixes. This has weeded out a few duds, but I’ve had two incorrect items sent even after drilling the sellers. They’ve always given me full refunds without having to return the item, though.

It pisses me off, as the entire point of Discogs is the specificity. There’s a reason why there are 85 entries for this album; find the correct one. If you just want to move shit in bulk, go to eBay.

Totally. Discogs is set up to handle different versions of the same release, with each one having details of label, country of origin, release date and packaging, there's really no excuse to send the wrong item unless someone is trying to offload rubbish on the unsuspecting buyer. But this is discogs we're talking about here, the home of the "trainspotter" music collector who generally know what they're looking for. 

Touch wood I've not had any issues although my rating is like 4.8 because I didn't pay someone within 30 seconds of placing the order and they cancelled it. 

Shouldn't have to double check you're getting the right one. There's no excuse for it. If I want to be sent any old rubbish I'll use Amazon Marketplace. 

I walked into my local charity shop the other day and walked out with a Super Audio CD player (5.1) under my arm for £25. It was a Marantz DV9600, RRP $2100, and it sounds sublime. Find of the year, maybe decade! I have 2 SACDs I purchased without realising, Dark Side of the Moon and War of the Worlds, but looking more into SACDs the prices are insane! Any tips for getting started, are there many out in the wild? Is it even worth looking?

C95A59B4-FEA6-4EB3-A034-B228EE5F467C.jpeg