IGNORED

Great CD Revival

Alexlotl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That’s a nice chunky looking piece of equipment. Impractical and expensive, but I will still keep an eye out for one!

That Rolling Stone article is something of nothing really. But then again, I suppose the CD format is small, functional and cheap, so what can you say?

1 hour ago, Girth Certificate said:

anyone else still expect songs to skip at the bits where CDs you owned 25 years ago were scratched? And a couple of times when fuckin' tapes were twisted?

I do still expect to hear a CLUNK in the middle of certain songs because that was where the side ran out when I was taping them.

On 24/01/2022 at 17:39, Nick R said:

I do still expect to hear a CLUNK in the middle of certain songs because that was where the side ran out when I was taping them.

My CD player when I was a teen could do playlists, and told you how long the playlist was, so I'd make it the right length for the tape.  I'd then tape it, and listen constantly to the album in my (not an actual...) walkman.  25 years later, some albums still sound wrong!

On 24/01/2022 at 16:15, Girth Certificate said:

anyone else still expect songs to skip at the bits where CDs you owned 25 years ago were scratched? And a couple of times when fuckin' tapes were twisted?

Master of Puppets should definitely have a slight skip in the solo. That’s the definitive version (reinforced by still also using the MP3 I ripped from that CD in about 2002).

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/feb/04/they-just-worked-reports-of-cds-demise-inspires-wave-of-support

Apparently Tesco have announced they'll no longer be selling CDs, a sign that sales of physical media is still dropping: 

Last year, UK sales of physical entertainment products fell 18.5% to just over £1bn, while digital revenues rose by 8.3% to £8.7bn, according to the Entertainment Retailers Association. 

In 2007, at the height of the CD market, more than 2bn discs were sold globally. The digital streaming platform Spotify launched in 2008, and CD sales started their trajectory downwards.

The Guardian article makes reference to an article in Rolling Stone - Jewel-Box Heroes: Why the CD Revival Is Finally Here

They quoted the author: 

“Compact discs were never about romance – they were about function. They just worked. They were less glamorous than vinyl, less cool, less tactile, less sexy, less magical. They didn’t have the aura that we fans crave.

“You didn’t necessarily get sentimental over your CDs, the way you fetishised your scratchy old vinyl, hearing your life story etched into the nicks and crackles …. But CDs work. They just do. You pop in the disc, press play, music booms out. They delivered the grooves so efficiently, they became the most popular format ever.”

I seem to have bought lots of new music from still-active artists this month, rather than being the second-hand cheapskate I usually am.

4E7A81B6-1896-46CB-8E93-EEBABA075F35.thumb.jpeg.4c109151174a5b45fed7942546fedb3b.jpeg

Amber Arcades - Fading Lines (dream pop motorik mumble, great to work to)

Amber Arcades - European Heartbreak (melodies and audible lyrics! Great morning album)

Mammal Hands - Shadow Work (jazz trio playing modal, post-rock influenced stuff)

Mammal Hands - Captured Spirits (more of the above)

Cate Le Bon - Pompeii (her sixth excellent album in a row. This one is lockdown haunted but less desolate than Reward was)

Mostly bought on Bandcamp Friday, although I got the Amber Arcades stuff on the cheap, albeit sealed (sorry, artist!).

They’re all cheap cardboard gatefolds apart from European Heartbreak, which is a digipak. Not a fan. 

Bought a rave bundle from eBay this week. Worked out about £3.50 each, which I should easily make back on the couple I already had and/or any duffers. 

EC56ECE3-DF36-47EB-BBE7-041A9AE70A7A.jpeg.a0a9fa4773683248f3d3967f2d939058.jpeg

Also ordered a couple of other compilations that have not yet arrived. 

37 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

I seem to have bought lots of new music from still-active artists this month, rather than being the second-hand cheapskate I usually am.

4E7A81B6-1896-46CB-8E93-EEBABA075F35.thumb.jpeg.4c109151174a5b45fed7942546fedb3b.jpeg

Amber Arcades - European Heartbreak (melodies and audible lyrics! Great morning album)

Mammal Hands - Shadow Work (jazz trio playing modal, post-rock influenced stuff)

Cate Le Bon - Pompeii (her sixth excellent album in a row. This one is lockdown haunted but less desolate than Reward was)

Mostly bought on Bandcamp Friday, although I got the Amber Arcades stuff on the cheap, albeit sealed (sorry, artist!).

They’re all cheap cardboard gatefolds apart from European Heartbreak, which is a digipak. Not a fan. 

I really like what I've heard of Mammal Hands, might have to pick both of those up.

15 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

I really like what I've heard of Mammal Hands, might have to pick both of those up.

I picked up their first two from Oxfam Online last year on a whim, have really enjoyed them. Thought I should chuck them some real money on Bandcamp Friday.

For the unfamiliar, here's a live session online.

24 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

Bought a rave bundle from eBay this week. Worked out about £3.50 each, which I should easily make back on the couple I already had and/or any duffers. 

EC56ECE3-DF36-47EB-BBE7-041A9AE70A7A.jpeg.a0a9fa4773683248f3d3967f2d939058.jpeg

Also ordered a couple of other compilations that have not yet arrived. 

That XL Chapter 2 was a classic! Has Holy Noise (those stabs!) and the Basic Instinct club scene track on. 

The Rotterdam sound, early 90s, Lucien Foort was all over this...

On 11/02/2022 at 10:34, Alexlotl said:

After streaming both of those, I'm now on the Mammal Hands train also. Off to bandcamp to get the CDs!

I really wanted the OST for Sayonara Wild Hearts, but it's only available on vinyl or as a download. Got over myself and bought it from the iTunes store, as I'd heard it offered the best quality of the download versions (there's no FLAC option anywhere, sadly).

One of the tracks initially downloaded, but wouldn't play, saying I didn't have permission. Deleted that track and went to redownload it - it's not in my available downloads. If I click Show Complete Album in iTunes, I can see the track, but it wants me to pay another 79p to listen to it. If I look in the iTunes store, it says I've already purchased it. Support ticket in with Apple.

In the meantime, I'm ripping a charity shop CD from 1982, which still works as well as the day it was minted. Yay progress.

I'm jumping in on the bandwagon, Bedford has alot of charity shops (hell, there's four on my route to the kids' school and thats not even town centre!), I mostly use them to scour for books, PSP games and PS2 games, maybe the odd film every so often, but I figure I'd like to build a music collection again after (literally) chucking out my old CD's before my middle daughter was born.

Anyhow, picked these up today, £1 each. Rival Schools and the Kerrang! one were in my old collection, the former is a favourite album of mine so its great to own it again and the latter has a great track list (Rollins Band, The Distillers, X-Ray Specs to name a few)

Yp1LgHI.jpg

My sister also bought me a signed copy of the new Don Broco album.

Any tips on cleaning up CD cases or any suggestions on replacements? (the Rival Schools one's spindle bit is broken)

Jewel cases, just pop them apart, then clean each section with water and fairy liquid and let them dry, just like doing the dishes. A toothbrush is useful for getting into the corners.

Broken spindles are more of a problem. TBH, for a jewel case, I’d just find a charity shop running a ten-for-£1 and clear out a lot of their unsaleable crap, then ditch the discs, dismantle the cases and keep them around as spares. I’ve got two shoeboxes full from a CD collecting friend who went the media-wallet route. 

For digipaks, broken spindles are more difficult to replace. Fortunately they don’t happen as often, presumably because the cardboard contains a bit of flex. 

Some people have had luck with stick on circles of foam or stick on spindles intended for mounting CDs in books. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've started moving my entire collection into CD wallets. I lost track years ago but there's easily 1,000+ discs. I've filled three wallets with around 480 albums so far - more wallets coming from amazon. I'm keeping all artwork, discs and even stuff like digipaks, so just recycling all the jewel cases. I thought it would be pretty painful to do but it's actually less tedious than when I ripped everything back in college (in a shite, lossy format).

This is progress:

udlcOEI.jpg

A nice upside is that I'm finding signed things I forgot about or albums that I haven't thought about in years.

xqWpetI.jpg

So far, I'm only missing two discs from the cases as I have been very obsessive over my collection since the beginning. I am missing Daft Punk's Discovery and the Faithless album with Insomnia on it though - definitely two college-era casualties I expect. 

16 hours ago, Fireproofradiator said:

For my daughter. Pool track is best track. 

EFE26C54-B50E-4C1C-B768-AFCF146BCA7A.jpeg

Surely it’s the tune from the fruit bat episode? Might have to pick that up, will make car journeys easier. 

On 25/03/2022 at 21:31, acidbearboy said:

D7283377-1713-4FAA-9F90-526501F7F57B.thumb.jpeg.23f8c20ff40a59d5e7e11f3aae3bb197.jpeg

Gonna be exploring Front 242 for the first time.

That's a really nice haul. A shame Tyrany For You isn't in there, that's my favourite album of theirs. Still, there's the Religion maxi-single with a couple of Jilted Generation-era Prodigy mixes. 

I must have the ‘other’ CD single as the remixes I have are not by the prodigy. I listened through all those Front 242 releases in chronological order today and most of it was decent, if not 100% my usual thing. 

57 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

I must have the ‘other’ CD single as the remixes I have are not by the prodigy. I listened through all those Front 242 releases in chronological order today and most of it was decent, if not 100% my usual thing. 

That's a shame. The one I have has 8 tracks including two mixes by The Prodigy and two by The Orb.