rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Went back to this today. I'd done about half of it on Hard before getting sidetracked by other stuff, but decided I really wanted to do everything. Managed to do the last summon now and all but the final challenge on the combat sim. Going to do a few more chapters before tackling that. On chapter 13 not, but I've already done 14.

It's great to be back in it again. It's such a wonderfully well-judged remake.

• Upvote 4

I'm on chapter 9 and about 15 hours in. Apart from a few nostalgia hits i did stop yesterday and wonder if I'm actually enjoying any of it... Clearly if I'm wondering the answer is no. It has felt really padded so far and i get so little time to game that I'm considering stopping even though ff7 is one of my favourite ever games... I'm compelled to carry on but am finding it a real slog, especially when I'm aware I'm probably not even half way through. Might stick it on classic and just get through it to see the story out 

• Upvote 1

I felt the same. Really wanted to love this but apart from some good moments, on whole it left me a bit underwhelmed.

1 hour ago, cohen205 said:

I felt the same. Really wanted to love this but apart from some good moments, on whole it left me a bit underwhelmed.

Did you complete it? Really debating whether to continue or not 

23 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Went back to this today. I'd done about half of it on Hard before getting sidetracked by other stuff, but decided I really wanted to do everything. Managed to do the last summon now and all but the final challenge on the combat sim. Going to do a few more chapters before tackling that. On chapter 13 not, but I've already done 14.

It's great to be back in it again. It's such a wonderfully well-judged remake.

What’s the first thing you did after you finished it?

ive not done any postgame yet and wondering where to start.  FFXV I had clear choices based on my quest log! Once I defeat the bosses in FFXV again I’m gonna go back to 7R I reckon.

11 minutes ago, sprite said:

What’s the first thing you did after you finished it?

ive not done any postgame yet and wondering where to start.  FFXV I had clear choices based on my quest log! Once I defeat the bosses in FFXV again I’m gonna go back to 7R I reckon.

Just start playing through on Hard. The extra XP you'll quickly level you up to the maximum. Except it might be a good idea to skip chapter 1 for now, because the boss is very difficult until you're stronger.

If you're planning on doing everything, it's worth checking a guide for things like how to get different dresses.

Oh and hopefully you got 2 elemental materia from the first play through. I missed one and it's important to have them for some of the tougher bits, so I had to repeat a chapter on Normal to get it.

Can you set the language to be in Japanese with english subtitles in this?

Edit: got it.

All I have left to do on this now is the last 2 chapters on Hard and the Top Secrets battle. But I've been trying to do the latter and just can't manage it.

Spoiler

It's Bahamut that's the problem of course. I know you've got to stagger him before he does Hellfire and I can never get his pressure bar up quick enough. Usually I've taken about half his health off and it's still less than halfway. Then he summons Ifrit. I've even watched videos where people do it in like a minute, but can't replicate the same effects. I've had two characters cast -aga spells from within arcane ward while Tifa smashes away and still can't get him into pressure state. After failing a number of times, I'm losing the will to keep trying.

Did this get shared yet?  I've recently discovered this guy on the old yootoobs and I love him. 

• Upvote 1

On 21/05/2020 at 06:53, crisy said:

Loving the new perspective and appreciation of FF13 on this page. I flipping love the original FF13 (never played its two sequels though), loved it from the moment I first played it and still do. I think at the time of its release its lack of openness really blinded many a fan to its charms and braveness. Like Sprite said up the page, I've always been into FF for the characters and epic story, I can take or leave the openness, so I always clicked with 13, but I do think there is a lot be said for its tighter linearity, now more than ever. 

The point I lost faith in FFXIII was when the story took you to a theme park area - there is surely no fan of Final Fantasy out there who didn’t arrive at that point in the game and expect that all those roped off attractions and barred entrances would eventually open up and provide lots of varied minigames to unlock secret items etc. I mean, surely Square-Enix knew they were inviting comparison to the Gold Saucer by including that in the first place? But nope, all the paths are closed/‘under maintenance’ and you never go back there. What a load of shit.

On 13/05/2020 at 19:51, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

So after three hours this is a reskinned Yakuza game.

On 14/05/2020 at 09:56, Kevvy Metal said:

It's very Yakuza yes, I mentioned that earlier, that it feels like that was the main inspiration for this new Remake. 

Also, Yakuza is a long running series with a fair amount of asset reuse and I imagine Square wants a similar cash cow with regular releases. 

Well, I wasn't expecting this.  :blink2:

2 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

Well, I wasn't expecting this.  :blink2:

Are you playing it Rob? It's a strange comparison for sure, but I'm glad @Kevvy Metal picked up on it too because to me it's quite apparent in the general structure and flow of the game. Definitely in the sidequests!

Finished it all on hard and now have all trophies except Top Secrets. Whatever the trick is to staggering Bahamut, I've haven't figured it out.

I did enjoy chapter 17 especially much more this time round though. Without the urge to get the story done and with the battles being more taxing it doesn't feel like padding anymore so much as a test of everything you've learned and all the different styles of combat. Conversely chapter 9 is one of the least interesting on a repeat play, despite being most entertaining first time. 

• Upvote 1

I'm only on Chapter 3. Early impressions...

Pro:

I generally like the action gameplay but it is a bit like Bayonetta or something in structure - as in move a few feet, clear a load of enemies... move a few feet...etc.

Midgar is spot-on. I enjoy what they did with the environments.

The updates to the central characters are decent, with some reservations.

Nostalgia.

Cons... here goes:

The Sephiroth flashes are jarring and out of place. Not working for me at all.

The dementor ghosts are terrible.

The way Aeris was introduced was also terrible.

Some of the updated enemies are too faithful and look goofy nowadays.

The NPC characters look like they belong in a different game, especially the coffee shop and weapon vendors in the slums. Is this GTA?

Although faithful to the original character design, by fleshing out and making the city more realistic and inhabited, Barrett's size and minigun arm look preposterous. Cloud's Buster sword needed shrinking about 50%. Aeris looks and behaves in a very annoying way now.

My overall impression is I like the nostalgia, but the game is tearing itself apart trying to be different things, and a lot of those things miss the mark and fail to capture the tone of the original. And they haven't even got going with the controversial stuff.

• Upvote 1

On 21/05/2020 at 14:29, David Kenny said:

Finished this yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed it in the main. There were definitely parts that dragged more than others but I thought as a whole it hung together superbly. I didn't read any of the spoilers that were going around when it came out, so I had no idea why so many people were upset. And now that I've finished it I still can't figure it out. I've played the original three or four times over the years, and really liked what they did with the world and characters here.

Because...

Some people, myself included, like FFVII, but hated Advent Children, Kingdom Hearts and all that other awful shit that Square have pumped out. I wanted this to be a straight remake of FFVII and unfortunately it is clearly not and is infested with all of Square's worst "story-telling" impulses.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Peb Kacharach said:

I'm only on Chapter 3. Early impressions...

Pro:

I generally like the action gameplay but it is a bit like Bayonetta or something in structure - as in move a few feet, clear a load of enemies... move a few feet...etc.

Midgar is spot-on. I enjoy what they did with the environments.

The updates to the central characters are decent, with some reservations.

Nostalgia.

Cons... here goes:

The Sephiroth flashes are jarring and out of place. Not working for me at all.

The dementor ghosts are terrible.

The way Aeris was introduced was also terrible.

Some of the updated enemies are too faithful and look goofy nowadays.

The NPC characters look like they belong in a different game, especially the coffee shop and weapon vendors in the slums. Is this GTA?

Although faithful to the original character design, by fleshing out and making the city more realistic and inhabited, Barrett's size and minigun arm look preposterous. Cloud's Buster sword needed shrinking about 50%. Aeris looks and behaves in a very annoying way now.

My overall impression is I like the nostalgia, but the game is tearing itself apart trying to be different things, and a lot of those things miss the mark and fail to capture the tone of the original. And they haven't even got going with the controversial stuff.

Its Aerith not Aeris ;)

I'm now neck deep into chapter 14 and many of your pros and cons make more sense, the more you play. I'm by and large loving it. The combat is nothing like Bayonetta (which I was completely rubbish at) and works brilliantly once you suss out how best to work your team and materia set up.

The way Aerith was introduced felt just like in the original, as are the sizes of Barrett's gun arm and Cloud's sword

I loved the original FF7 story but you know what could've improved on it?

Spoiler

Time travel, alternate dimensions and a reality warping battle with the concept of fate itself at the end of the first act. That totally doesn't undermine everything else that comes after.

Spoiler

Oh, and plot ghosts.

Spoiler

And a new soldier character who has sex with bikes

Spoiler

That last one wasn't sarcasm. I actually genuinely like Roche

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Because...

Hide contents

Some people, myself included, like FFVII, but hated Advent Children, Kingdom Hearts and all that other awful shit that Square have pumped out. I wanted this to be a straight remake of FFVII and unfortunately it is clearly not and is infested with all of Square's worst "story-telling" impulses.

Spoiler

I've never seen Advent Children or played Kingdom Hearts, but I can't say that anything in the remake was more ridiculous than about 90% of the role playing games I've played. Including the original Final Fantasy VII. (While I do think that's one of the less preposterous ones, it still has some pretty hokey nonsense in there.) If you were to ask me which version I preferred it would definitely be the original, but I enjoyed my time with the remake well enough. I seem to remember the game director saying they weren't interested in a slavish remake, and personally I think that was the right decision. They had to walk a fine line between nostalgia for the original, and doing something different for this version, and clearly they were never going to please everyone.

I'd also question whether releasing a game that differs in narrative structure while keeping the themes of the original is the grand betrayal it was made out to be. Disappointment is a perfectly valid response, but apoplectic entitled rage probably isn't.

• Upvote 2

I’m going to spoiler my response to Chapter 4 because it is negative and I know many fans of the game don’t want to read it:

Everything about Chapter 4 was godawful.

The writing is cringe.

What the fuck is Chadley?

What the fuck is Roche?

Wedge and his arse can do one.

So much potential squandered here. Tonally not in keeping with the original at all. The game is all over the place - there’s a conflict between western and japanese design philosophies in both the open world and narrative. The only real positive is the slums look decent and I like the idea of fleshing out characters like Jessie even if the execution is nonsensical. And all the characters behave like they’re 14. The game seems to have been made with teenage cosplay fans as it’s core demographic. There’s an uncomfortable level of male gaze going on in the cut scenes. And that’s before the scrotum sacks turn up to change fate or whatever.

I'm on chapter 16 now and really enjoying it. And loving the way they've put the story together and the combat, materia and weapon upgrade system. My playtime thus far is about 40 hours and all 3 of my team are level 33 right now and, jumping to the next instalment of the game, presumably they'll be an option (or an obligation) to play on at my end game finishing level? And presumably this first instalment with that in mind is level capped? (Just checked - yes level capped at 50). Or do you think the next instalment will start at some kind of level fix at say 35 to 40?

• Upvote 1

Anyone got any tips for the boss at the end of

Spoiler

Train Graveyard - The ghost?.  Seems to be the only enemy so far that you can cast cure on so maybe that does some damage?  Otherwise how do you know which type of attact it is invulnerable from?

I’m on chapter 8, around 8-9 hours in apparently. I appear to be moving much quicker than others unless the later chapters are longer.

There are bits I am enjoying - the combat is satisfying and the boss fight cinematics are thrilling enough. Some parts are stunning both visually and as a hit in the nostalgia.

Which is why it’s all the more disappointing these sections are padded out. Chapter 5 running along the train lines was tedious. Chapter 7 running up the ramps and meddling with the Airbuster was also very tedious. It’s strange the game is padded in this way whilst Midgar isn’t particularly fleshed out at all. The open world hubs are like a small, super jank version of The Witcher. 

To the poster who said Aeris’ introduction was the same... in both instances it was very different. The Church scene was ruined by the ballsack floaters showing up.

I’m rinsing this as quickly as possible but I’m determined to see it through. I’d score it a 5/10 so far.

7 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Hide contents

Train Graveyard - The ghost?.  Seems to be the only enemy so far that you can cast cure on so maybe that does some damage?  Otherwise how do you know which type of attact it is invulnerable from?

Spoiler

I haven’t played this game but traditionally in Final Fantasy undead-type enemies are weak against healing items like potions and Phoenix Downs. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Hide contents

I can't remember having too many problems (on normal). You have been using your assess ability haven't you?

24 minutes ago, Stolly said:

I can't remember having too many problems (on normal). You have been using your assess ability haven't you?

Yeah and it tells me what it is weak against etc but having checked my materia loadout it seems I may have missed a few things.  Will give it a go again tonight. 

I'm not sure, but doesn't it alternate between invulnerability to physical attacks and to magic? So when one isn't working, use the other.

It's a bit of an annoying one as I recall because the room's so small.

2 hours ago, Parappa said:

Hide contents

when it’s in “solid form it’s vulnerable to physical and immune to magic , when it’s In “ghost form” it’s the opposite, save your limit breaks for the right form  

• Upvote 2