Final Fantasy VII Remake

Finished this last night

Spoiler

Enjoyed it a lot for the most part, chapter 8 was a bit slow. Was really enjoying the later stages of the game until chapter 17 - that was just utterly shit. The game felt like it was building up to an awesome finale and that just took the wind out of it completely. (Jenova fight was good tho, wave of nostalgia when that music started kicking in) I went form being excited to see what was next to just wanting to get it over with.

Was still a bit sad when it was over rather than seeing "Insert Disc 2"

I agree it's a brilliant remake which manages to flesh out the setting, plot and the characters in an intelligent and faithful way. I even enjoyed ticking off all the side quests.

Spoiler

...but then the last two chapters happen and it drops the ball pretty badly. It goes from fleshing out to over-complicating. The final section is like something out of Kingdom Hearts!

It's also a shame how they turned Sephiroth from a mysterious, complex, troubled figure into a smirking demi-god.

My thoughts after 10 or so hours - haven't read this thread, or anything about the game online, so don't know if I'm just parotting what everyone else is saying.

It's great trotting around Midgard again and visiting all the locations I remember from my youth, but done in much more detail. 

The game feels very constricted and linear though - since this came out we've got used to open worlds and side-quests and emergent gameplay in RPGs, and this doesn't seem to have any of that. I understand that's because it's a JRPG and they are generally epic stories rather than epic world sims like western RPGs. But as someone who isn't a huge JRPG fan it can feel a bit tedious. FF7 was my first JRPG and I guess back then it was novel and impressive enough that I didn't really notice it was pretty linear. 

The combat is amazing and makes up for the above, though. 

A shame it's only the first part of the story. As I said I'm enjoying Midgar but I'm longing to see Wutai, Cosmo Canyon, the forest of the ancients, etc, and to be zipping around in the Highwind. 

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

The game feels very constricted and linear though - since this came out we've got used to open worlds and side-quests and emergent gameplay in RPGs, and this doesn't seem to have any of that. I understand that's because it's a JRPG and they are generally epic stories rather than epic world sims like western RPGs. But as someone who isn't a huge JRPG fan it can feel a bit tedious. FF7 was my first JRPG and I guess back then it was novel and impressive enough that I didn't really notice it was pretty linear. 

It's kind of why I'm glad I played some of the original (up to where people speculated this game would end) in February; people forget how linear the opening hours - and most of the game, to be honest - can be. In the 1997 game there are locations to visit on the world map and sidequests to do, but you're always given a morsel of info about where to go next in order to advance the story - if you try going anywhere else then you'll just be able to visit shops and listen to the same NPC dialogue; it's only when you move to the next plot-critical location that the story continues. I don't mind the linearity of the remake so much (and even the chocobo fast travel was more than I expected, so I could at least revisit shops and check quests in other locations) but I can see how people would find it a bit old-fashioned.

On 11/05/2020 at 09:27, Curtis said:

I started this yesterday and i'm really enjoying how linear it is. That might sound like an odd thing to say, but after so many sprawling, open-world type games, just walking A to B through the beautiful corridors this game presents is a refreshing change of pace. Whether i'll still feel that way by endgame is anyone's guess, but for now i'm liking how straightforward it all is.

Oh, and i don't think i'll ever get bored of tilting the camera up to check out that background. :wub:

I will confess now that I've never played a Final Fantasy game. I'm on the fence on whether to go for this remake, but the fact you describe it as "linear" is making it appeal to me a lot more. Like you, I want to play a game that will take me on a journey; and not necessarily ask me to create my own.

I think my only reservation is I don't want to invest in a game that is too overwhelming in its gameplay mechanics. Being new to FF (and not really an RPG player), I am aware I may need to juggle various attributes during combat. I don't want to play the game on any kind of Easy setting that will take the strain off me, so I'm hoping if I buy the game it will have just the right balance for newbie Final Fantasy players like me.

1 hour ago, Pixelated Ben said:

I think my only reservation is I don't want to a game that is too overwhelming in its gameplay mechanics. Being new to FF (and not really an RPG player), I am aware I may need to juggle various attributes during combat. I don't want to play the game on any kind of Easy setting that will take the strain off me, so I'm hoping if I buy the game it will have just the right balance for newbie Final Fantasy players like me.

The combat isn't really like any other Final Fantasy game, so you won't have any trouble in that regard. The materia system used to assign skills uses concepts from the original FFVII, but they're all explained in game.

• Upvote 1

Loving the new perspective and appreciation of FF13 on this page. I flipping love the original FF13 (never played its two sequels though), loved it from the moment I first played it and still do. I think at the time of its release its lack of openness really blinded many a fan to its charms and braveness. Like Sprite said up the page, I've always been into FF for the characters and epic story, I can take or leave the openness, so I always clicked with 13, but I do think there is a lot be said for its tighter linearity, now more than ever. 

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, crisy said:

Loving the new perspective and appreciation of FF13 on this page. I flipping love the original FF13 (never played its two sequels though), loved it from the moment I first played it and still do. I think at the time of its release its lack of openness really blinded many a fan to its charms and braveness. Like Sprite said up the page, I've always been into FF for the characters and epic story, I can take or leave the openness, so I always clicked with 13, but I do think there is a lot be said for its tighter linearity, now more than ever. 

But the characters and story were awful :huh:

The little thing I'm enjoying is not needing to think about saving progress all of the time - the ability to restart after a wipe out just before the last battle (in a saveable position) is such a simple idea but so many games don't do it (presumably to add false tension and make people frustrated playing a game that they'd otherwise really enjoy) :blah:

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Gabe said:

But the characters and story were awful :huh:

I thought it was pretty compelling. It’s subjective and I totally enjoyed both the characters & story. 

I really liked the juxtaposition of the two planets and they way the game played differently between them. 

• Upvote 1

Finished this yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed it in the main. There were definitely parts that dragged more than others but I thought as a whole it hung together superbly. I didn't read any of the spoilers that were going around when it came out, so I had no idea why so many people were upset. And now that I've finished it I still can't figure it out. I've played the original three or four times over the years, and really liked what they did with the world and characters here.

• Upvote 4
On 21/05/2020 at 14:01, Stolly said:

The little thing I'm enjoying is not needing to think about saving progress all of the time - the ability to restart after a wipe out just before the last battle (in a saveable position) is such a simple idea but so many games don't do it (presumably to add false tension and make people frustrated playing a game that they'd otherwise really enjoy) :blah:

Totally with you on this. I got pretty stressed playing a big dungeon in FFXV earlier because it’s crashed on me loads, and I was worried I’d lose it all :lol: I was tempted to go back to the start just to save.

• Upvote 1
On 20/05/2020 at 22:53, crisy said:

I fired it up again but didn’t get far :( I need to try again, the opening section is pretty dull.  I remember how much it clicked from say Chapter 3 so maybe need to give it a chance!

• Empathy 1

Went back to this today. I'd done about half of it on Hard before getting sidetracked by other stuff, but decided I really wanted to do everything. Managed to do the last summon now and all but the final challenge on the combat sim. Going to do a few more chapters before tackling that. On chapter 13 not, but I've already done 14.

It's great to be back in it again. It's such a wonderfully well-judged remake.

• Upvote 4

I'm on chapter 9 and about 15 hours in. Apart from a few nostalgia hits i did stop yesterday and wonder if I'm actually enjoying any of it... Clearly if I'm wondering the answer is no. It has felt really padded so far and i get so little time to game that I'm considering stopping even though ff7 is one of my favourite ever games... I'm compelled to carry on but am finding it a real slog, especially when I'm aware I'm probably not even half way through. Might stick it on classic and just get through it to see the story out 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, cohen205 said:

I felt the same. Really wanted to love this but apart from some good moments, on whole it left me a bit underwhelmed.

Did you complete it? Really debating whether to continue or not 

23 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Went back to this today. I'd done about half of it on Hard before getting sidetracked by other stuff, but decided I really wanted to do everything. Managed to do the last summon now and all but the final challenge on the combat sim. Going to do a few more chapters before tackling that. On chapter 13 not, but I've already done 14.

It's great to be back in it again. It's such a wonderfully well-judged remake.

What’s the first thing you did after you finished it?

ive not done any postgame yet and wondering where to start.  FFXV I had clear choices based on my quest log! Once I defeat the bosses in FFXV again I’m gonna go back to 7R I reckon.

11 minutes ago, sprite said:

What’s the first thing you did after you finished it?

ive not done any postgame yet and wondering where to start.  FFXV I had clear choices based on my quest log! Once I defeat the bosses in FFXV again I’m gonna go back to 7R I reckon.

Just start playing through on Hard. The extra XP you'll quickly level you up to the maximum. Except it might be a good idea to skip chapter 1 for now, because the boss is very difficult until you're stronger.

If you're planning on doing everything, it's worth checking a guide for things like how to get different dresses.

Oh and hopefully you got 2 elemental materia from the first play through. I missed one and it's important to have them for some of the tougher bits, so I had to repeat a chapter on Normal to get it.

All I have left to do on this now is the last 2 chapters on Hard and the Top Secrets battle. But I've been trying to do the latter and just can't manage it.

Spoiler

It's Bahamut that's the problem of course. I know you've got to stagger him before he does Hellfire and I can never get his pressure bar up quick enough. Usually I've taken about half his health off and it's still less than halfway. Then he summons Ifrit. I've even watched videos where people do it in like a minute, but can't replicate the same effects. I've had two characters cast -aga spells from within arcane ward while Tifa smashes away and still can't get him into pressure state. After failing a number of times, I'm losing the will to keep trying.

On 21/05/2020 at 06:53, crisy said:

The point I lost faith in FFXIII was when the story took you to a theme park area - there is surely no fan of Final Fantasy out there who didn’t arrive at that point in the game and expect that all those roped off attractions and barred entrances would eventually open up and provide lots of varied minigames to unlock secret items etc. I mean, surely Square-Enix knew they were inviting comparison to the Gold Saucer by including that in the first place? But nope, all the paths are closed/‘under maintenance’ and you never go back there. What a load of shit.

On 13/05/2020 at 19:51, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

So after three hours this is a reskinned Yakuza game.

On 14/05/2020 at 09:56, Kevvy Metal said:

It's very Yakuza yes, I mentioned that earlier, that it feels like that was the main inspiration for this new Remake. 

Also, Yakuza is a long running series with a fair amount of asset reuse and I imagine Square wants a similar cash cow with regular releases. 

Well, I wasn't expecting this.  :blink2:

Finished it all on hard and now have all trophies except Top Secrets. Whatever the trick is to staggering Bahamut, I've haven't figured it out.

I did enjoy chapter 17 especially much more this time round though. Without the urge to get the story done and with the battles being more taxing it doesn't feel like padding anymore so much as a test of everything you've learned and all the different styles of combat. Conversely chapter 9 is one of the least interesting on a repeat play, despite being most entertaining first time. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Peb Kacharach said:

I'm only on Chapter 3. Early impressions...

Pro:

I generally like the action gameplay but it is a bit like Bayonetta or something in structure - as in move a few feet, clear a load of enemies... move a few feet...etc.

Midgar is spot-on. I enjoy what they did with the environments.

The updates to the central characters are decent, with some reservations.

Nostalgia.

Cons... here goes:

The Sephiroth flashes are jarring and out of place. Not working for me at all.

The dementor ghosts are terrible.

The way Aeris was introduced was also terrible.

Some of the updated enemies are too faithful and look goofy nowadays.

The NPC characters look like they belong in a different game, especially the coffee shop and weapon vendors in the slums. Is this GTA?

Although faithful to the original character design, by fleshing out and making the city more realistic and inhabited, Barrett's size and minigun arm look preposterous. Cloud's Buster sword needed shrinking about 50%. Aeris looks and behaves in a very annoying way now.

My overall impression is I like the nostalgia, but the game is tearing itself apart trying to be different things, and a lot of those things miss the mark and fail to capture the tone of the original. And they haven't even got going with the controversial stuff.

Its Aerith not Aeris ;)

I'm now neck deep into chapter 14 and many of your pros and cons make more sense, the more you play. I'm by and large loving it. The combat is nothing like Bayonetta (which I was completely rubbish at) and works brilliantly once you suss out how best to work your team and materia set up.

The way Aerith was introduced felt just like in the original, as are the sizes of Barrett's gun arm and Cloud's sword